Back in January of 2008 I started taking Chantix, quit smoking and was off the Chantix within three weeks after starting it. It's been over a year. This past year has been miserable. I'm angry all the time, feelings of doom and gloom, and worse, feelings of pure hate for, it seems, the world. I would think twice and then think again before taking Chantix!!

I too used chantix. I had tried it before so knew to take smaller doses. I took 1 or half a pill a day off and on for about 2 1/2 weeks. 3 days ago I quit smoking and chantix due to stomach and dream symptoms. Yesterday I awoke to wicked anxiety and depression which I have been prone to at times. This morning again i woke up with crazy anxiety. I had a feeling it might be withdrawl from the chantix not from nicotine that was making me so anxious so I googled the topic and wound up here. Worries me but I am hopeful since I didn't take too much this will pass.

Wow.

99% of these posts are totally depressing.

I just started taking Chantix 3 days ago and until I started reading about it on the net 2-3 days ago everything that I heard was good. That is why, after years of blowing off the free quit smoking programs I was finally willing to try this one.

I am in the military and get any quit smoking program for free one time, but I wanted to use my one freebie on a program that works. I didn't want the gum when it was the only choice and I didn't want the patches either. I've wanted to quit for years, in fact I have only smoked Ultra Lights since the mid-90s because I imagined that would help me quit. I never want to fail in quitting smoking and so I had never tried to quit, there was never the right time where I was hyped enough to go through with it.

All I heard were good things about Chantix. A friend I hadn't seen for years refused to smoke with me and told me how he quit with Chantix. My doctor didn't ask any questions before prescribing this either, (in fact I had a box of this stuff in my hand not 30 seconds after I changed my mind and decided to give it a try last Friday.) He said it's great, I can keep smoking for as long as I want and that I will realize after a week or two that I don't get anything from the cigarettes. It's a no brainer. He set it in my mind that it was a no effort program.

I am only stating all this because I want to document my progress with this and here is as good as anywhere else.

Here is how it started:

I went to the hospital last week for my annual physical, was told that I was in great health for a 36 year old and they couldn't believe that I smoked because everything on their chart said that I was in perfect health. I left the hospital with a box of Chantix even though I had no intention of quitting smoking that day. I do want to quit, I have been waiting for the right time for years and being told by my doctor that I don't need to stop because Chantix will make me not want the cigarettes anymore was enough for me on that day.

It was impressed upon me that I could just look at my pack of smokes, the thing I spent time every morning being sure that I had a full pack for work, the one thing that I went to the store for even when I was dead tired from 14-16 hour days but I have known for years that I could never run out of, and I could just throw them away? That is what dreams are made of.

I don't usually believe in fantasy and that is probably why I decided to investigate this on the net immediately. I will give a full report here. There has been too many negative reports on this drug for me to just throw up a post Chantix report, or another 2 years too late report of how somebody committed suicide after using this.

If there is a better place to report let me know. I've seen other threads but this seems as good as any other.

Once again, I have been on this for 3 days. I have taken all 3 of the small daily pills. Starting tomorrow I will have to take 2 of them. I was not told to deviate from the program in any way so I will just take 2 tomorrow and then on the 8th day take 2 of the bigger pills.

So far I haven't noticed much bad but it seems like I am in a zone. I am normally a very time oriented person, but I find myself thinking that I may have missed something. The first night I felt like my nicotene was being blocked by Chantix so I started reading about it on the Internet.

Since the first night I haven't noticed any ill effects at all. The only abnormality so far is that I woke up at least 1 hour early this morning even though I went to bed at 1AM. I usually wake at 630, but I woke at 530 and felt like I was supposed to have woke up at that time. I did go back to sleep and awoke to my alarm but I was anticipating the alarm the whole time it seems.

Also, I have felt tired after coming home from work and haven't felt like talking to my wife about what is going on.

Seems like these are all bad signs.

Wow.

Here is how it started:

Seems like these are all bad signs.

Wow.

All I heard were good things about Chantix. A friend I hadn't seen for years refused to smoke with me when I saw him last year and told me how he quit with Chantix. My doctor didn't ask any questions before prescribing this either, (in fact I had a box of this stuff in my hand not 30 seconds after I changed my mind and decided to give it a try last Friday.) He said it's great, I can keep smoking for as long as I want and that I will realize after a week or two that I don't get anything from the cigarettes. It's a no brainer, I figured. He set it in my mind that it was a no effort program.

Here is how it started:

I went to the hospital last week for my annual physical, was told that I was in great health for a 36 year old and the doctor couldn't believe that I smoked because all the tests said that I was in perfect health. I left the hospital with a box of Chantix even though I had no intention of quitting smoking that day. I do want to quit, I have been waiting for the right time for years and being told by my doctor that I don't need to stop because Chantix will make me not want the cigarettes anymore was good enough for me on that day.

It was impressed upon me that I could just look at my pack of smokes, the thing I spent time every morning being sure that I had a full pack for work, the one thing that I went to the store for even when I was dead tired from 14-16 hour days but I have known for years that I could never run out of, and I could just throw them away? Unbelievable.

I don't usually believe in fantasy and that is probably why I decided to investigate this on the net after I started taking it. I will give a full report here. There has been too many negative reports on this drug for me to just throw up a Chantix report after it's all over, or another 2 years too late report of how I felt like killing myself of everyone around me while using this.

So far I haven't noticed much bad but it seems like I am in a zone. I am normally a very time oriented person, but I find myself thinking that I may have missed something. The first night I felt like my smoking was being blocked by Chantix so I started reading about it on the Internet.

Since the first night I haven't noticed any ill effects at all. The only abnormality so far is that I woke up at least 1 hour early this morning even though I went to bed at 1AM. I usually wake at 630, but I woke at 5-530 and felt like I was supposed to have woke up at that time. I did go back to sleep and awoke to my alarm but I was anticipating the alarm the whole time it seems.

Also, I have felt tired after coming home from work the past couple days. Thats normal but usually at night I get a second wind and end up staying up too late. Not tonight. I'm going to bed at 1030 because I'm too tired to stay awake any longer.

I'm a 49 year old male I have smoked for 30 years. I'm on my 3rd week with chantix an it is working just fine for me . I have not smoked one cigarette not even a puff since I started. I haven't noticed any of the ill effects I read about on the web. Good Luck everyone!

First of all, I believe Chantix is a MIRACLE drug. Thank you Thank you!!! I was (notice the word was) a heavy smoker for 30 years. Smoked a pack and a half a day since college. My husband too and we really enjoyed those smokes. Darn. I've tried all of the smoking cessation products and programs out there and nothing ever stuck. Our kids were SO darn mad at us...it was awful. Last year, My mother-in-law died from COPD (caused by smoking) and we watched her slowly suffocate to death. It was horrifying and I promised her on her death bed that we would both quit.

SO I tried Chantix (my husband did cold turkey) and to date we haven't smoked for 75 days! Yea! My kids are SO proud of us. They call me everyday to find out how we're doing.

BUT...I've been slowly weaning myself off the Chantix and find that it is kinda hard. Each time I cut down on the dosage, I experience some moderate to severe withdrawal symptoms. Is that normal?? I'm down to a 1/4 pill a day but can't quite seem to totally eliminate the pill altogether. My kids tell me to take the pill for the rest of my life if that's what is needed but obviously I don't want to do that. I guess my question is how long does this go on? Can I eventually get off this pill and NOT smoke. I'm done with smoking both in my mind and body but hate these mental "wars" going on in my head when I try to stop the pills. Help!

PS. My husband who did cold turkey is doing great. He has NO issues but went through the worst two weeks in his life trying to quit. But it was worth it for him, he has zero side effects now!

One thing that helps immensely is exercise. My doctor recommended I exercise while on the drug to regulate mood, and it worked! I know this because I did not listen to her the first time (this is my second round on Chantix), and felt feelings very similar to what I've read in this post (anxiety, depression, restlessness, that "dread" feeling clouding your head and sinking in your gut). Exercising daily completely eliminated these feelings for me.

This is month two and no smoking for three weeks, and my side effects are very minimal! Try it before you give up on the drug entirely. You may end up starting a new habit that will actually benefit your health :-)

Being scared to take chantix because of side effects is just another way addiction gets you to do what it wants and that is feed it. I had the side effects weird dreams who doesn't like to dream it is a place to see people who are no longer with us, we can do crazy things that make no sense. I don't know about you but i love dreaming. I thought the same stuff i just want to stop with all of these side effects, but in the end i just kept on trucking knowing that it would just be a waste to give up now. So here i am i made now i just have to keep myself from falling back into my addiction of cigs. o.O :O o.O

I started Chantix 5 weeks ago. I put down the cigarettes on day 5 of treatment. I experienced the nausea, some irritability, fatigue, but I celebrated 1 month of no smoking last Wednesday. I never took the whole dose of Chantix, as the a.m. pill really bothered me, and I work full time. I stopped taking it completely about 3 days ago. I am irritable and tired, but I'm not smoking. The desire to smoke is there, but my husband and I are quitting together so I'm just stubborn enough not to let him defeat me in this challenge we took on together! I'm still determined, but it's tough!!!!! Good luck to everyone who is going through this.

As with most of you I am on my third week. I have been smoking for 12 years...phases of heavy and light smoking. As of April 1st.h..became WAY too expensive!! I am someone who is a part of one of the many helping professions so I studied this drug to no end before taking it. I think I informed EVERYONE that I run into or talk to...(minus my clients of course!) the possible side effects. I was extremely concerned about the anger and depression part of it. I asked people if they noticed a severe change in my mood to please let me know and I would consider stopping the drug. The only thing that has been pointed out to me is I get very irritable in the evening...but hey you are quitting smoking who is going to be calm and cool about that!? The nausea is very very annoying...I am a night owl so I wait to take it after my morning duties are taken care of and I have a free hour or two where someone wont be looking at me like I'm pregnant and have morning sickness...I take the second one right before bed and the nausea never wakes me up. I have been told ginger...anything ginger will help decrease the nausea but I have yet to try it. The dreams I would have to say are by far the worst side effect I'm experiencing...although most people when they quit have weird dreams. I have mornings where I wake up and it takes me a good ten minutes to identify reality...did I do that? I have to check my phone talk with my boyfriend etc...I just pray I dont talk in my sleep haha! I have started to become amused by the dreams and some of my friends cant wait to hear them...yet at the same time I'm extremely tired most of the time. I chalk it up to this drug does not let your mind rest...the dreams actively on a different level incorporate everything that your mind thinks at one point or another....that is what dreams are...only you are more aware of them while taking the drug. I have found that the idea of quitting scares me, stresses me into smoking more...so I tell myself I can have one or two a day....or during social situations....but at the end of the day I find I dont always take up the offer I give myself. I remind myself every day that this drug is not going to quit for me, it is a supplement that will help me quit. Quitting is not easy. I considered stopping the drug, but decided that I chose to get it for a reason, I will do it for the full three months, unless advised otherwise or someone catches me with a rope! Good luck to all of you and stay strong

I've been looking for some answer to side effects with Chantix. The worst have been the stomach cramps. I have tried different ways of taking it to help relieve the symptoms. Like eat, don't eat, with a pain medication, only with water, earlier, later..... Nothing seems to help. I did get a sleep aid to help me sleep better. That has helped. Anyone have any really 'helpful' ideas?

I stopped taking Chantix after the third week (1st week still smoking & 2 wks of the full dose pills). I had stopped taking the night pill during week 2 of the blue ones. I didn't have any of the weird dreams or nausea (thank goodness!), but definite issues with feeling like I'd had a lobotomy! I couldn't form proper sentences and do very simple tasks. I just felt stupid! Then on Monday (6/1/09), I just stopped taking them altogether. These last couple days have been hard at work because work is slow, and I just couldn't keep my head up, just wanting to sleep. Better though today, thank god.

I will have to say that the side effects of insomnia and then beeing sleepy all day also happens when you quit smoking cold turkey. I quit 3mo ago and had all of the side effects everyone is talking about. People just attribute it to the drugs. The first mo was crappy, but it will get better I promise.

I just finished the 3 month program of Chantix on Monday 7/6/09. I stopped smoking on day 4 and never had another smoke after that. I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years. I now feel like i am free from the tobacco companies. I did not experience any effects. i kind of wish i had some of the vivid dreams though.