I had a total hysterectomy 33 years ago at the age of 32.  I took premarin 2.5 mg for 25 years and everything was fine.  Then the Dr wanted me to quit taking it and life has been ugly ever since.  I have a hot flash at least every hour and terrible night sweats and haven't had uninterrupted sleep in years.  I am thinking of going back on the premarin because the effects of not getting good rest are nearly as bad as the side effects of the premarin.

I had a hysterectomy at 36 and had my ovaries left. When I was 50 I went into meno and took estrogen only. That took care of all symptoms but I gained 10 lbs. For 8 years I took oral estrogen or was on the patch. When I tried to get off at 59 my hot flashes came back, everything was awful again.

Now I am 62, and I have hot flashes at night and sometimes during the day. I am very leary of starting back on the hormones, because I read that starting and stopping especially when older leads to dementia!!

I don't even know where to turn now. My doc put me on bio identical hormones at 60 and I promptly gained 10 lbs in one month. I am so done with this!!!!!!!!!

I take menopeace it is made by new roots. The best i have ever used. It is all natural made from veg,fruit and herbal plants. It is not cheap however it works. Hope this helps you.

I too had a hysterectomy 12 years ago. I wish I had not had the ovaries taken but they doctor did not give me much time. He just rushed into taking everything out. After much research and trial and error I now use natural progesterone creams. It will take a little while to get into your system. The reason I started with this is because of reading some of Suzanne Sommers books. They explain the role your ovaries played in your body. Also, I would never use a synthetic hormone. A friend of mine was on Premerin for 2 years and she got breast cancer in both breasts at age 43. 
If I don't use the natural progesterone cream, I start have the hot flashes and night sweats extremely bad even after 12 years. I have tried different brands over the years and some are better than others. Do a google search of Dr. John R. Lee and read what he says about hormone replacement. Also, checkout Suzanne Sommers books (you can probably get them at the local library). 
I think most hysterectomies are done to make money for the doctors. I am sorry but I don't believe that they are always the way to go. If I had to do over, I would say either just take the small little cancer (cervic, the cancer was the size of a pen dot) and leave everything else. I have two friends that were told they needed hysterectomies over 20 years ago and they did not have them and they are still fine. Their annual paps don't even show cancer now. They just had second opinions. I should have too, but my husband was scared and I got scared too. 
Anyway, please look into the natural progesterone cream. You may need some estrogen also, but I tried the estrogen and it made me feel worse. The progesterone makes me feel much better. Let me know if it works for anyone.

I too had a complete hysterectomy 9 yrs ago. I was on estrodot and was very well controlled. Had the ocasional hot flash and hot hands and feet. I think i was quite fortunate to have very little symtoms. I came off the estrodot 4 months ago and my hellish nightmare began. I had tried every natural product i could find as i no longer wanted to use anymore medical drugs. Nothing worked. As some of you i was tempted to go back on the estrodot but my doctor advised me not to as i had been on for quite sometime already and the longer a woman is on HRT the more risk of health issues down the road. As i am quite healthy i do not take any medications what so ever. All my vitimans i take which include my calcium and vitiman D are from a company called new roots. They are somewhat expensive depending on what your buying. So i checked into a natural form of HRT. I found a product called menopeace which is made from all natural ingredients. Ex: fruit,veg,herbs/plants. I have been on it for 8 days now and what a difference it has made already. I feel fantastic compared to what i did. It is so minimal now to the point of being able to tollerate quite well. It cost approx $ 90 a bottle which is enough for 2 months. Depending on where you live could be more or less. I hope this helps for some of you. It sure did for me worth every penny i spent. :-)

You are describing ME! My Ob-Gyn says it must be anxiety, but I know it's not.

My hot flashes are not to severe, but I am having them. I also had a complete hysterectomy in 1998. I would like to know if this is still possible.

i am 61 and had a total historectomy 21 years ago,i am now getting severe hot flushes,i am always tierd and somedays i just feel like crying.....is this normal a

chrissie wrote:

Charsangels wrote:

dqm54 wrote:

I have a friend who complains she is hot and is flush. This comes on suddenly and no one else is hot. I think she is having hot flashes and she swears no because she had a hysterectomy and menopause 10 years ago.
Can you still be having hot flashes 10 years later????

Since she controls the thermostate in the office I would like to know if anyone else has been through this type of late hot flashes so long after a hysterectomy. Today it was 60 degrees outside and the office was around 74. (Normal temp. No one was complaining) she got hot and then turned the AC on. I froze!! This is difficult since she is Human Resources!!!

We are the same age (53) and I have been through menopause for over a year. I still have hot flashes so it is not like I have not experienced what she is going through.

I had a total hysterectomy 30 years ago and for the last few months have had hot flashes vertigo, nausea, headaches, mood swings, anxiety etc also. Anyone else having this?

Yes you can have hot flashes after 10 yrs. The average woman usually goes through it for 6yrs. I am going on 10 yrs also and have had a hyterectomy as well. My doctor said some women can go through it as long as 15yrs. I know my mother had her hysterctomy at 45 and the hot flashes did not stop until she was 61.

I had total hyster 1998. Did patch then estratest till about 10 years ago. I was told surgical hyster makes u not go through menopause. Now I am having 3 to 5 hot flashes per day. Check to make sure your blood pressure isn't going up when u have hot flashes. Mine does so it could be blood pressure spikes

I'm so glad I found this site. I felt like I was going crazy!! I had a complete Hysterectomy in 1994 at the age of 24. I took the premerian 2.5 for about 7 years. I am now 41 years old and I haven't taken any type of hormone therapy since 2001. I recently have started having hot flashes, mood swings and even my skin has seemed to changed, gotten oiler and I'm having break outs like I am a teenager. I have been told that after this long I shouldn't have menopausal symptoms, but whatever this is it seems hormonal. To me this feels like the menopause I wentthrough after my surgery. :-(

yes i had a total hysterectomy 21 years ago at age 41 and i am still having them now every day. not very nice at all and there is nothing you can do but to carry on, it does get you down and i have been to see different doctors and i have tried various pills and herbal remedies but to no avail, if there is someone out there who knows what works then i will give it a try

She will suffer for the rest of her life with menopausal symptoms. I have gained weight and it just won't stop! Your friend should go on bio identical hormone treatments. There is a risk at any kind of hormone replacement. However, bio identical is safer than hormone pills that are made of synthetics. I ended up with breast cancer from taking the pills. I took them for 20 yrs. I still gained weight and I worked out! I'm glad doctors are stopping the complete hysterectomy craze. Some of them are still taking a woman's life from her. To me. I call it a half murder. That is major surgery. It destroys a woman. So be kind to your friend. She has a tough road ahead of her.

I had  a  abdominal hysterectomy 3/2012 after  about 3  months all my  hot flashes  left  and i  really  felt  great i  dont  take  any hrt  and  wham in  nov 6 i  had  a heart attack  my dr  told me it was because i  no  longer had  ovaries Im  53 in  good  health   didnt  even have high blood pressure no i have  hot  flashes  all  the  time my  dr  didnt  want me on hrt because i had  pre  cancer  in  my ovaries and it is  a high  risk  to take hrt  i  have  asked another  dr  for  advice  and they  agree so i  guess im  doomed  to  suffer