I don’t know what it wrong with me, I just can’t stop eating. I eat everything everywhere and at every time. It started about six months ago, when I had to learn really hard in order to pass several exams. I wanted to “treat” myself after hard work so I would go out in the evening and eat sweets. After the exams (which I successfully passed, by the way) I simply continued with uncontrolled eating. I gained about ten kilos and people keep asking me if I were pregnant. How to eat properly again? Some of my friends discovered this. I was in several really embarrassing situations and had to lie so I wouldn’t be discovered.

You are suffering from binging or overeating and your problem manifests in the fact that you can’t control the food intake. The good thing is that you are aware of the problem and you want to stop (typical characteristic of almost all eating disorders is the fact that the patients are in denial - they think that they are all right and that they do not need any help). Overeating can result in serious problems, one of them is weight gain, and that can have influence on blood pressure, heart condition, liver and kidneys (the food you take is not a careful selection of all necessary nutritive ingredients but in most cases junk food and its ingredients cannot be good for your organs). This can ultimately lead to very serious conditions such as extremely high level of cholesterol, heart attack, diabetes... But the most important side in this disorder is your mental side - it needs treatment too. It is necessary that the psychotherapist talks to you and discovers the cause for this pattern of behaviour. Perhaps it has something to do with the great desire you had for passing the exams and fear of failure. All eating disorders have mental causes and the sooner you visit your doctor the sooner you will be able to understand the nature of your disorder and this will increase you chances to return back to normal.