Alright this is embarrassing to admit but I'm 19 and I've not once successfully pulled my foreskin back all the way barring recently because I was curious. I found what you may have guessed, a thick buildup of smegma that was really stubborn to get off (and painful because of how sensitive my head was) and it's accumulated again but I still have trouble pulling back. I've been easing into it slowly again but the sensitivity is also a problem. I didn't have a father figure around too much to help me out with this stuff growing up, just my mom telling me to pull back but I didn't listen so it's all on me. What can I do to help get the foreskin loose enough to pull back and how can I painlessly remove the smegma? It's killing me wanting to get rid of this.

Nobody talks about their penis so this is common.

Start stretching your foreskin - NOW.  Do it as often as you can.  Get an erection and pull down on the shaft skin so the glans spreads the opening.  It helps to do it in the shower, the warm water helps soften the skin.

Yes, your glans will be sensitive too, it's been covered and isn't used to being touched.  You will get used to it as you start to pull back the foreskin and keep it exposed.  You just have to "bite the bullet" and start touching yourself or letting it touch other things (underwear, etc.).

Your foreskin should EASILY slide up and down the shaft when erect.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, is there anyway to painlessly remove the buildup? I'm too scared to try and do anything because of how sensitive and how much pain it caused last time.

Quick answer, no. You're going to have to get used to touching your glans. If you can keep it exposed, foreskin pulled back, it will dry out some and become less sensitive.

Start touching it. Really, it is the best solution. Think about what will happen when you try to have sex - it's going to hurt if you don't. That's IF you can find a girl that likes a smegma covered penis.