Hi, my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for some time. At first I didn’t bother myself with calculating ovulation periods; we thought that it could not be very hard to get pregnant. As time passed and we were not getting results, I started to worry. I have decided to do some ovulation test to determine my ovulation periods. The thing is that I don’t get ovulation tests. I mean I never get positive results. I have tried using them every day during my fertile period, but even then the results are not positive. Could you explain how ovulation tests work? Why don’t I get positive ovulation tests results?

Hi, I am sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with getting pregnant. You should know that there are many couples that go through the same troubles as you and your husband. I suppose that you are very worried because of the results of ovulation tests. The first thing that comes to my mind when it comes to your results is that you have some kind of problem with your ovulation process and that because of this your tests come out negative. This would mean that you will need professional help if you want to stay pregnant. The ovulation tests are designed to measure the amount of luteinizing hormone that peaks approximately thirty six hours before the actual ovulation allowing you to plan the intercourse. However, the negative results of ovulation tests might have come as a result of the inadequate use. For instance these kinds of tests should be done in the afternoon when the concentration of the luteinizing hormone is highest. No matter what the results of the ovulation tests are, you should definitely talk to your OBGYN about your problems. There are many things that can interfere with your attempts to get pregnant that only a professional can discover and treat.

I'm sorry I may not be the best help in answering your question, but I found the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility to be very helpful in explaining ovulation, charting and temping. Maybe it will help you ?