I am 46 years old and I have been having problems with extra weight for the past two decades, actually ever since I gave birth to my daughter. So, I know that menopause is coming and I would like to be prepared as much as possible. This includes loosing weight so I want to know if fasting is a good idea for that?

Well, you will definitely lose weight with that method, although I have to admit that I do not think it is the healthiest method. Eliminating one food group from the menu has its good sides, but also some bad ones. Perhaps a balance diet that includes all food groups and maybe even some mild exercises (long walks for example) would be much better for you.

It depends on the type of fasting you do. If you just stop eating, or reduce your caloric intake really low, your body will think it's starving and will lower your metabolism to compensate--this is bad because it will make losing weight harder as the body tries to protect it's resources--fat.

Short term fasting for cleansing purposes is not too bad, but you have to be careful, and should consult with your doctor before doing any drastic things.

The best thing to do is reduce your bad food intake, and increase the fiber and good carbs, with a good selection of proteins and vitamins, and increase your exercise to increase your metabolism. Following the new Food Pyramid information to build a good meal and menu plan is healthy, and increasing your exercise levels with both muscle building and cardio-aerobic activity will do the best to help you lose weight. Walking is an excellent beginning exercise to beef up our metabolism.

Don't do anything drastic, just start gradually introducing new foods that are better for you, and reducing the numbers and quantities of the not-so-good ones. Don't stress yourself by taking away all the goodies, all work and no play won't do it in the long run!