I am still a virgin but today I realized that my hymen broke. People say that it could be because of you, your partner, your tampon or even a lot of pressure. But none of that has happened. I am saving sex for marriage and I'm haven't had my period for a month and a half now and I don't do that stuff. What could have happened? Why did it happen? What should I say to another boyfriend in the future if they ask? Is it normal? So many questions!!!!! No answers?!??

Hi KPeters

It is good to hear you are still a virgin and are saving yourself for marriage. It not unusual for virgins to not have a hymen, or for it to have ruptured without sexual intercourse. Some hymens are fragile and easily rupture. Sporting activities can cause the hymen to rupture.

But in order to try to give specific help you with your questions, let me ask some questions so I am better informed.

1. How did you come to realise that your 'hymen broke'?
  2. "none of that has happened" - none of what specifically?
  3. "I don't do that stuff" - what stuff don't you do?
  4. What have previous boyfriends (or current boyfriend) said about your hymen.
  5. How old are you?
  6. Where do you live?
  7. Are there any religious or cultural implications for you?

An intact hymen is not even proof of virginity. Some hymens are tough and elastic and do not rupture on first intercourse.

I would have thought that an honorable boyfriend should believe your assertion that you are a virgin, just as you would have to accept his.

If you try to answer the questions, I will try to respond to your concerns in more detail (as well as others you might have)