Hi there, I'm just a little worried because i dont know if i have broken my hymen or not. I have never had sex (intercourse) but i had fingered my vagina a couple of times and my whole finger can go inside my vagina. I never moved my finger inside the vagina but i kept putting it in and taking it out slowly (i never did it roughly). It never hurt or bleed or anything. Can anyone please tell me if i still have a hymen or not? And if i dont am i sill a virgin? Thanks ..

If you have never had sexual intercourse, then you are still a virgin whatever the state of your hymen (although some people/cultures regard the hymen as the 'virginity'). The hymen can be ruptured in ways other than sexual intercourse, and some hymens do not break after first sexual intercourse.

The hymen typically has a finger-sized hole in it which allows the menstrual outflow during a period. A finger can usually be inserted without rupturing the hymen, particularly if done carefully. However some hymens are thin and fragile. Often, but by no means always, the rupture is accompanied by some bleeding.

The only way to tell if your hymen is still intact is by inspection. You can use a hand-mirror and look yourself. Do you know what you are looking for. Otherwise a doctor or trusted friend can examine you.

Either way, you are still a virgin.

I hope this helps as a start. If you need more help, just ask.

Thankyou so much for your help. I just need to ask one more thing that can i insert my whole finger in if i DO have a hymen? Cuz i tried and my whole finger does go inside (i have some small hands tho) . thanks

The hymen is a thin membrane that surrounds or partially covers the entrance to the vagina. The hole in that membrane could allow the whole finger to pass through it. Just like if you had a tube with a lid on it. If you pierced a hole in that lid, a rod would pass right through. Here is a picture:
http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/sites/default/files/files/styles/large/public/field/image/hymen_virginal.jpg

Thank you so much for your help. It was a great help and really appreciated. I'm much relaxed now. :) x

Pleased to help. I hope you were able to inspect yourself. Take care.

I tried and it didn't seem that it's broken... i think it's still there. Just an idea of mine.

That's good. I don't know how old you are, but as I believe you are in the UK, you can ask your GP, nurse practitioner or nurse to be careful with any examinations you are given, in order to retain your hymen where possible.

Any more questions - just ask.

I'm 16 that's why i feel a lill embarassed talking with my GP about it.

GPs are used to talking to young people about their reproductive system. So don''t be afraid to ask them to be careful. Are there any cultural/religious implications for you?

Yes there are. I belong to a Muslim family.

Is your GP a Muslim? All GPs (of any religion or none) should maintain confidentiality, and respect your own religious and cultural sensitivities.

What are your particular concerns that make you cautious about contacting a GP?

If you prefer, you can private message me.

Hey shepherd i want to ask you something plz help