I have these symptoms during my period. I don’t drink alcohol at all now cause it makes it worse. But it still happens during my period. I’m 45 and I’ve saw a doctor, a psychiatrist and a psychologist. I switched to a gluten and dairy free diet and upped my workout to 3 times a week. This all has helped me but I still get it. They have me Zoloft at first and told me it’s anxiety but that is not it and Zoloft didn’t help. It only made me sleep all the time. No one has a name for it. I’m embarrassed to leave my house for the 7 days on my period. I do go out and I end up talking a lot , very repetitive and I feel embalanced. I appear angry and aggressive and sometimes I say a lot of inappropriate stuff that I normally would not say. I wish someone new what it was cause I seriously want the help. If anyone finds out, please let me know!

I am going through the same thing with my husband. He is fine until 4 or 5 pm. Then he acts like an angry, aggravated drunk. He stopped drinking because he would black out and not remember calling me names and being very nasty. I need help here. This just started out of the blue 3 days ago. My 4 yr keeps saying "i want my old daddy back" and "i don't want mean daddy to come home." Idk what to do. Please help! I am beyond desperate right now. Actually sitting in a parking lot with my son because my husband is being so nasty. One min he wants my help because he feels like he is going crazy and the next min i am a miserable b***h that caused him to be this way. PLEASE HELP!!! ASAP

My husband os going through this. Any idea what it is?

My 41 yo Wife has the same symptoms. Late afternoon she often turns "drunk" but I really do not believe she has been drinking. Starts with her trying to clear her throat repeatedly, then she slurs badly, takes long pauses while talking, cant find her words, becomes very irritable, aggressive, and irrational. She thinks everyone who tries to help her is against her. She does not seem to be able to focus her eyes on me while talking. Her behavior is extremely Bazaar. She becomes unstable physically as well. Sleep usually cures it until the next evening. She does not remember or know how she acts. She is home alone with our child when I am away and it makes me very uncomfortable.
This used to happen once a month, then once a week, now it is nearly every day. Has been going on for about 5 years now. Often after a workout (after work), the switch flips. Later in the week it happens more frequently. It is becoming more rare for her not to have symptoms. She also is a bad sleeper, and often wakes up during the night due to coughing/snoring. Someone mentioned restless leg syndrome, which I suspect she has as well. My family and I are trying to deal with it but it is difficult on us.

My husband having same problem We check his blood everything came out normal. Someone says he probably having MS “Multiple Sclerosis” He will have MRI on his brain soon.

This thread is a godsend! I've been going through this exact same thing with my wife on and off for about ten years now (acts drunk; slurs words, denies anything is wrong, irrational, repeats herself endlessly, forgets a conversation of two minutes ago, loses about 50 IQ points, gets annoyed that I think that she's impaired, and has a total loss of balance [which is the scariest part of all this, as she is 63 years old]). All of this almost always occurs in the evening, and is almost always over by the next day.

To ameliorate the most serious issue -- her lack of balance [and her abject refusal to notify me in order to escort (i.e., hold up) her from her bed to the bathroom] -- I have installed a bed alarm to warn me when she is getting up, a video baby monitor to check on her movements, a bedside guard rail, and a panic alarm for her to press (when she is actually rational enough to push it for assistance in walking).

I have just now also taken her normal evening BP, sugar and keton levels, and have just ordered a breathalyzer (just in case I'm in denial -- which I doubt). So, when her next attack hits again, I will compare numbers, and can hopefully come to some sort of a vague conclusion.

If I find the answer I'll certainly post it here, but if I don't I'll probably be just too damn depressed to bother!

-Cotter

Not sure if anyone is aware, but there is a disease called "Auto-brewery syndrome", in which the body itself produces alcohol on its own, causing drunkenness and the symptoms listed above. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-brewery_syndrome]

New Member

A follow-up on my post of last week, and it's a real shocker (sarcasm): after years of my wife's on-and-off drunken symptoms that I described above, I just found out that she is one of those secret drinkers.  She knew of the hell I was going through with worry about her "neurological condition", and she kept her alcoholism a complete secret -- even straight to my face.  Moral of the story;  when it comes to addiction, you can't trust even the most trustworthy people, so buy a decent mid-range breathalyzer on Amazon, and next time they "act like they're drunk but they're not", put it to the test --  you just may be VERY surprised...

We've been going through this with my son-in-law - its terrifying because he does not know it's happening and so drives his car, and plays overly rough with his two small daughters. I remembered an article in readers digest I read years ago - it talked about a man who had similar symptoms - drunk without drinking. We're going to get him checked out for it - we've already gone the blood sugar, and psychiatrist route - But Fermentation syndrome. When he's like this he's quite terrifying and then doesn't remember a thing even though there are broken things in the house.

Typo - it's Gut Fermentation Syndrome, also known as Auto-Brewery Syndrome

New Member
Sorry, but it's VERY rarely Gut Fermentation Syndrome. Typically it's the secret drinking of alcohol, which they will NEVER EVER admit to. (GFS is extremely rare, while secret drinking is most assuredly NOT rare at all).

I found this thread about a week ago. My 35 y.o. boyfriend has been having the same symptoms for 1.5 to 2 years now. He acts drunk although he has not been drinking: he can't walk steadily or stand on his feet without holding on to something, walking in to things, slurring speech, repeating himself and being very tired or sleep for long times. Alcohol made the symptoms worse. This would always happen in the evening and weekends, progressively getting worse. Sometimes 7 days a week. He would also wake up multiple times at night showing strange behaviour, witch made it impossible for me to sleep a whole night. We both stoped drinking and I kept a dry house. He never smelled like alcohol. We work and live together, so I thought I would know if he does drink. I have worried sick. Couldn't sleep for nights over his mysterious illness. The embarassment was the worst thing. With him behaving strangely in public friends and family started asking what is wrong with him and people stared at him. The first time we went to the doctor he was diagnosed with sleepwalking. So we went to a sleep- and allergy facility where they did all kinds of tests. He also had to sleep with a monitoring device at home to see any irregularities in his sleeping pattern. The doctor told us he was suffering from a severe case of hay fever, and a reduced lung capacity. Breathing took so much energy during the day that he would sleep as early as 18.00 and also caused his strange behaviour. He got medication and a immune therapy for it. But the symptoms didn't change, if any it was getting worse. So off to the doctor again for all kind of test and different types of medication. The only thing that showed up was a vitamin D deficiency so he got supplements for that.
As nothing changed I turned to Google again and found this thread. It made me reconsider everything. Had he been secretly drinking too and if so had I been so blind? I asked him so many times if he drank but he always said no. Claimed he felt horrible about his mysterious illness. It did so much damage to our relationship. He was never there for me and my whole life now evolved around him and his symptoms. Making sure nobody would see him like this, trying to make sure he did not drive in this stage, trying to find a diagnosis. We bought a house and now I am renovating by myself because he is no help having all those symptoms. But looking back at it all I noticed that we did have a lot of discussions about him drinking alcohol before. It took me months until he didn't drink anymore. Or so I thought. I searched our house and garage (a huge one as we work in the car business) multiple times for any signs of alcohol but always found nothing. So I ordered a breathalyzer on Amazon and as soon as he showed symptoms it showed a high alcohol level. He has been lying to me all along, knowing that I was worried sick and that our relationship was going down the drain. We put our dream of having children on hold due to him being "sick". He pretended not knowing what the problem was, took medication he didn't need. We spend a lot of money on finding a cure. I had no idea he was so good at lying to me. But at least I have an answer now.
I feel for all of you going through this and I know how lonely it feels but you are not alone.

New Member
"I feel for all of you going through this and I know how lonely it feels but you are not alone."

Thank you, and I feel so horrible for your situation too. I'm 63, and have been married to the same lovely woman for 25 years, so I was also dumbfounded when I found out that after all these years of worry over the same issues you went through, that my wife was lying -- straight to my face -- about not drinking alcohol. (My story is above under 'cottersay').

It's so hard to believe that someone that you love would do that to you, which is why they can get away with it for so long.

So, when they say "an addict can't be trusted", truer words were never said.

Best of luck.

I last posted on here over a year ago. My wife was often irrational, slurred, unsteady, irritable, and this caused a lot of distress for me, our 18 year old daughter, and 22 year old son. These 'episodes' came on around 4 or 5 o'clock in the afternoon. It lead to a lot of upset around our dinner table as she pushed her food around her plate, picked arguments with us, and basically sat there as if she'd had a couple of bottles of wine. Several tests, MRI's blood samples and urine samples came up with nothing. Our working hours are very much the same so I ruled out alcohol, although at one point I did suspect that she'd been hitting the bottle. A friend of mine suggested that we get a blood glucose level kit and test her blood. She reluctantly agreed and upon her arrival home from work (she is a teaching assistant) we did a blood sample and were shocked to see it flag up 'LOW'. After reading the chart we found that this meant she had a glucose level of less than 1.1%, the normal level should be around 5.8%. We also did a urine test and it read off the scale. After a week of tests we found that her blood sugar levels dipped in an afternoon. She visited the doctor with the results who suggested that she wasn't eating enough, she almost always skips breakfast and has lunch on the go. He told her to have a proper breakfast, lunch, and some fresh orange juice and a biscuit or chocolate bar around three o'clock in an afternoon, and her evening meal around 6. She stuck to this, and her blood levels came up to the normal levels and her symptoms dissappeared immediately !! We are now two months into this new eating regime. Yesterday she was away from home all day and unable to have an afternoon snack and last night the symptoms returned. I virtually force fed her a biscuit that she was insisting she didn't want and about an hour later this brought her levels back up. I posted this because after 4 years of this problem, all the frustration, arguments, and family upset I hope that this is a possible fix for others. Despite numerous blood tests, our doctors have never picked up on this, they did say that one sample (3 years ago !!) read at 1.8% but they never acted on it as they thought it just might have been a low reading because she was on her period. They have never found a high reading in a sample so ruled out diabetes.

I last posted on here over a year ago. My wife was often irrational, slurred, unsteady, irritable, and this caused a lot of distress for me, our 18 year old daughter, and 22 year old son. These 'episodes' came on around 4 or 5 o'clock in the afternoon. It lead to a lot of upset around our dinner table as she pushed her food around her plate, picked arguments with us, and basically sat there as if she'd had a couple of bottles of wine. Several tests, MRI's blood samples and urine samples came up with nothing. Our working hours are very much the same so I ruled out alcohol, although at one point I did suspect that she'd been hitting the bottle. A friend of mine suggested that we get a blood glucose level kit and test her blood. She reluctantly agreed and upon her arrival home from work (she is a teaching assistant) we did a blood sample and were shocked to see it flag up 'LOW'. After reading the chart we found that this meant she had a glucose level of less than 1.1%, the normal level should be around 5.8%. We also did a urine test and it read off the scale. After a week of tests we found that her blood sugar levels dipped in an afternoon. She visited the doctor with the results who suggested that she wasn't eating enough, she almost always skips breakfast and has lunch on the go. He told her to have a proper breakfast, lunch, and some fresh orange juice and a biscuit or chocolate bar around three o'clock in an afternoon, and her evening meal around 6. She stuck to this, and her blood levels came up to the normal levels and her symptoms dissappeared immediately !! We are now two months into this new eating regime. Yesterday she was away from home all day and unable to have an afternoon snack and last night the symptoms returned. I virtually force fed her a biscuit that she was insisting she didn't want and about an hour later this brought her levels back up. I posted this because after 4 years of this problem, all the frustration, arguments, and family upset I hope that this is a possible fix for others. Despite numerous blood tests, our doctors have never picked up on this, they did say that one sample (3 years ago !!) read at 1.8% but they never acted on it as they thought it just might have been a low reading because she was on her period. They have never found a high reading in a sample so ruled out diabetes