Thank you for for sharing your experience. I want to say that I am grateful that I am not alone with this experience but my heart breaks for you that you are going through this. I really feel like physicians should be much more comprehensive in their evaluations before they put people on these type of psychotropic medications. I was desperate due to pain but when you start messing around with people's brain chemistry their should be a lot more discussion and disclosure about side effects and more so about what the patient reports rather than the drug manufacturer.

Good Luck

Hi, I was a holiday drinker meaning only when we went to Mexico or Cuba etc... the fancy drinks. Other wise I never drank any alcohol just water. But since my Dr. put me on this drug for arthritis pain in my hand joints a year ago I have been drinking vodka coolers. My husband of 28 years usually would have a drink vodka and water every night now I'm drinking coolers with him and not just one.
Honestly he would tell people I was a cheap date because I never drank.
This drug is scaring me and I will be asking my Dr. if there is something else or I will just suck it up... pain and swelling of my joints in my right hand.
Take care

Hi, I’m taking cymbalta and my wife is concerned about my alcohol intake. I was telling her that I feel a different type of drunk, since I’ve been on it. I don’t remember much about the night and it feels really different. How does your husband act, when he’s drinking? I’m really
worried about what might happen when I’m out drinking. Thanks in advance.

I am so happy to see these posts. I was taking cymbalta for about two weeks when I went out drinking with my boyfriend. I was feeling numb, no appetite, but happy that the drug was successfully quieting the paranoid delusions that usually start before my period. That night I experienced a nearly 4 hr blackout during which I swore at bar staff, and at my bf... getting us kicked out... i blaned him, tried to hit hom, and ran off. Afterwards I smashed my cell phone and ruined my bfs books. I also took a huge handful of cymbalta... about 20 pill... at once. I wrote my bf crazy emails as well. I recall only brief snippets of the night, not remembering anything I did while with my bf.

Two days ago I felt agitated and off and decided vodka was a good idea. Ff to losing it on my bf when he tried to leave my house and attacking him. Sadly he called the police and had me charged with multiple counts of assault. I am reeling from his decision to handle things this way and from how i acted. This behavior is so out of character for me. I am so relieved to read that I'm not alone. I feel my life is falling apart and I am losing my mind. I have an appointment with my Dr. Coming up and pray to God I can sort through this.

I recently experienced this exact same thing. I overdosed while in an alcohol and cymbalta blackout. After this I went through awful withdrawal - extreme agitation. I ended up in jail after assaulting my boyfriend. This drug has been an absolute nightmare!!! This is not to mention the hives, difficulty urinating, spins, and auditory hallucinations.

So great to find this post, I had not had anything to drink in 7 years, then I decided to try and be a social drinker. Well...everytime I drank I blacked out and drank way too much. I read somewhere that with Cymbalta every drink you drink is like two. I am 61 years old and just could not figure out what was happening, now I know that I can not drink and go out, I make a fool of myself. What a horrible feeling to wake up feeling ashamed. So no more booze, unless I am at home with close friends who can monitor me, or maybe to play it safe, just no drinks at all. Thank you for posting. I don't feel like such an id**t now. God bless you all.

Increased alcohol use on Cymbalta...this is true my husband was the same..very dangerous, good news is he has stopped the cymbalta and drinks B8Gless , doesn't seem to crave alcohol. I would not recommend this medication

I felt the same way. I hade never had a problem with drinking. I finally made a correlation between the time I started drinking too much and the time I started Cymbalta. I remember having this crazy sensation of nerves goosebumps etc. Talked to my doc. They had no clue. Someone told me to try a couple of glasses of wine. Yep, my drinking got out of control. 4 years I dealt with this and never put it together. Same story as yours.

I too had increased craving for alcohol when I started on Cymbalta. I had never had this issue previously. Cymbalta is the only antidepressant that did not fatigue and I’ve been taking it over 6 years. My choice is to stay on Cymbalta but stay away Friday from alcohol whether I crave it or not. I have fatigued nearly every antidepressant I could tolerate and I don’t want to keep med hopping.

That's the most ignorant thing to say to an alcoholic!! Apparently you aren't one and don't know anything about the disease!

I've always been a beer drinker. A lot through Times in my life to the point of needing abstinence for years at a time. Never did rehab. Just meetings. Then meetings and zoloft. Then life saver Campral. Sober without even trying after 3 days. Now the Cymbalta for nerve zaps. Can't even finish one beer in 2 hours. That's why I looked this up. Surprised such a different outcome with others. I hail from NE Canada with some Mi'kmaq and inuit heritage so my liver enzymes are different. Perhaps that is why.

I do not want this to come off as snarky at all but I am happy for you that this drug has worked for you. But I don’t think these people are posting to bash cymbalta. I have gotten completely out of control with my drinking in the past 6 months and I have been on cymbalta for 9. I just want you to understand that it is a very real thing for what I’m sure is the majority of these people.

Omg i feel the same way! I recently started using cymbalta and i had been feeling great! Except that I’ve been drinking out of control, i wonder if there’s an alternative to cymbalt that doesn’t have this “alcoholism”’effect

Wow, it's not just my imagination. I have been taking anti-anxiety since I went through menopause. A few years ago my nurse-practitioner changed me over to Duloxetine to add pain relief for muscle and joint pain. It helped some but neuropathy in my feet continued and got so bad I started self-medication with vodka to be able to function. It got so bad I would consider myself an alcoholic because I couldn't stop. I'd get up in the morning and swear no more and then the pain would kick in. I was worried about my liver, cancer, and all sorts of resulting catastrophes, they came in droves. Two knee replacements, breast cancer, a hip replacement, by then I was up to 90mgs of Duloxetine a day and 750ml of vodka a week. After the cancer I wanted off ALL meds to up my chances of survival. I reduced my Duloxetine from 90 mg to 60 mg for a month, then to 30 for a month, then 20 for six months. By then I had to have a second hip replacement and it.....failed. Seven month later I had a revision and I was even more determined to get off this Rx. It took another two months of reducing the Duloxetine by skipping a day, taking it for two days, then skipping two days and taking it for two days until I got down to one a week and stopped. I had vertigo, got moody (depression/anxiety) but I was determined. My drinking has not only reduced back to where I was all my life but I actually don't enjoy drinking anything alcoholic, all it does is make me sleepy. Why is this not listed in side effects anywhere? It's life threatening both physically and to home life, relationships, employment, all aspects of life.

I to was a social drinker but then suddenly I craved alcohol more then ever and now I drink more then ever, I’ve decided to go off cymbalta and it’s been pure hell. If I knew the side effects of this drug and what it does to u trying to get off it’s horrible now I have to fight to get off this then to fight to get off alcohol. I warn everybody now, u have no real judgement on this drug it only f**ks u up mentally and physically