I have been a light to moderate drinker most of my life, and as you can imagine, over the years there has been a fair share of nights where I have drank too much, blacked out or have done stupid things. But since I've been on cymbalta I haven't gone a single day without drinking, I can't seem to stop. I drink several times as much every night now than I would've on one of my worst nights in the past. I black out every night, and yes..... Lol its funny that you mentioned it, because last week I woke up in the middle of the night and found myself urinating on my bedroom floor. That has never even came close to happening in all my prior years of drinking. So don't feel so bad. I am scared, something has to change, and fast. Before I destroy myself. I believe that cymbalta is a good drug though, AS LONG as you never drink. So I'm going to give quitting alcohol a try. Looking into maybe taking antabuse. Might just work for you too. If your not familiar with it look it up. Good luck

cymbalta  it is  stop drinking.

Been  on cymbalta for around 6 months,and for someone who has drank socialy all my life.I found myself cutting back on drinking due to the warnings.If i have a planned social event like a party I skip my dose that day.It helps the hangover also up on your water intake befotre bed  after a night out on the town.

I take 30 mg. Cymbalta and It has help me with the pain of Fibromyalgia... That is why the doctor put me on it...I take it every morning and about two o'clock in the afternoon, I take Tramadol 50 mg. and I get a lone very well..with that dose.
You would be ok if you would take 30 mg...and stay on it. You cannot try to get off with out tapering off. ..with a doctor advice.

How did everything turn out? I stopped taking Cymbalta cold turkey. Withdrawal symptoms have been mind boggling, super sensitive to lights, sounds, smells etc. addiction is my middle name, but I dropped everything once I made the decision to get healthy. No cymbalta, no caffeine, no alcohol. I got through the toughest part of the withdrawal for about a month. Now however I crave chocolate, that's the lack of Seratonin in the brain. Exercise, sleep, minimizing stress .. Are all ways to help yourself.

I found this forum 3 days ago and stopped taking Cymbalta cold turkey. I started 30 mg/day Cymbalta 3 months ago for depression and chronic back pain. At first I didn't notice an increase in my alcohol use. I didn't drink alcohol at all during January as part of a cleanse. When I started drinking again, I was shocked at how out of control I was. It was like I couldn't stop. I would drink until I couldn't walk or I would pass out. I have woken up with bruises and don't know if or how I fell. I have always been a moderate drinker before taking Cymbalta but I knew when to stop and felt under control. Cymbalta turned me into an uncontrollable drinker, like I'm an alcoholic. I can't describe how scary that felt. I hope the withdrawal symptoms aren't too bad but I'm never taking this drug again.  

Wow this is crazy! I took cymbalta about six years ago for a while and started drinking a lot! It takes more alcohol to get a buzz and I could easily drink 2 bottles of wine. Next day I would feel like death and be shocked that I drank so much. Now, i am on cymbalta again since about 6 months ago. I didn't do any excessive drinking in the beginning but recently I've noticed my alcohol intake has increased tremendously and I'm wanting to drink every day!!! I am going to talk to my dr as soon as possible!

I took Cymbalta for a pinched nerve, but my pain was so extreme that I also drank a LOT for ten consecutive days. The Cymbalta prevented me from having ANY hangover whatsoever. What an amazingly wonderful side effect!

Thanks Lisa. I took way to long to figure this out as well on about the same time as you. Figured it was attributed to a couple deaths( Mom then bro 6 months later) and loss of my job but now it's 2.5 years since their deaths, and I have a terrific job so…. WTF is going on with my drinking? Red wine has become an enemy … I am taking the plunge and coming off Cymbalta as I have had enough of red wine these last 2.5 years… Thanks for the courage to reach out… if this turns out to be true… I will be back .

I have been on this med for about 17 months, low dose and have had many binge drinking episodes -- which I rarely experienced before. I'm going to investigate further.

I have taken various depression meds over last 15 years. Duloxetine definately increases my alcohol use and the amount i can drink is alot more. I recently took a break from cymbalta because i would drink 6-8 beers a night with little buzz. Off the drug i drink 2-3 beers and feel drunk and do not have the craving for more. I beleive its the way cymbalta is metabolized by liver enzymes, must effect how alcohol is metabolized as well. Those of us who take the meds know how it effects us better than the docs dealing it out. My two-cents...

Hello I would like to tell you that you re not the only one, this has happened too as well.
Your life stories have made me worry. I have had similar crazy things like this occur to me as well. Im not sure if you will read this, as you posted over a year ago.

So hear I go, I have been on Cymbalta for 2 years, i went on it because of the sever depression I have. It it okay on it s own but mixed with wine exp I seem to black out and only remember flashes of the situations that I have put myself into.
just the other day, i was having a bad day and had 3 wines alone. I got into taxi and headed out to a brothel (never been to one before mind you), where I told her to fill the spa and sit with me, I sat in the spa with her and remember her asking are you okay, while I was sobbing crying and talking to her about my bad situation with my husband. then before I knew it, she told me our time was up and i had to leave, before I knew it I was being threatened in the room with 4 people looking at me , I was naked telling they would going to call the police on. I couldn't understand what was going on, they needed money from me, and I couldn't find my bank card, which was right in front of me, when they said is this it.
I then got into a taxi once they threw me out, i remember not caring what I was doing, or who I was getting in the cars with.
I got in cried and cried and cried, the taxi driver was really nice to me, but I called a man who is a big time bad ass and asked him to get me from the taxi, he did and we drove around, I kissed him and Im married, he kept asking me to kiss him and if I wanted sex.
I am such a different person on it, I hate myself the next day, i get insomnia, i GET SO DEPRESSED, i lay in bed and cry, I just hate my self.
Cymbalta is a lifesaver, but please if you don't want to end up getting raped or something stupid like ending up at a brothel.. Thats just one of my times, other times, I can't even remember.

At other times, I would have a wine or 2 and change, i would start sneaking more wine around the corner or sneak out of the house to go find some more, and I wouldn't stop drinking it until I blacked out, or done something real bad, and then I would get flashes and not know how to handle the situation. I ended up also trying to commit suicide one night, after I pulled my top up to my cousins boyfriend, to show him my boobs and how I breastfed.
I mean this stuff really makes you do things that you will HATE yourself for.
Forget about liver damage, if you are on Cymbalta, Please BE AWARE THAT IF YOU DRINK, while on Cymbalta, it will make you do things that you have never done before or didn't know you had it in you to do these things. It does change you.
It can hurt you and you can hurt others while drinking on Cymbalta.
As I stated I have been on it for a year and a half - 2 years now, I am on 60mg and thats the starting dosage.
I am thinking of getting my medication re looked at after this incident. and I guess I thought it was only me that had this effect. But after I read the peoples stories here, I know think I may come to the conclusion that this drug is good, BUT you MUST follow the simple rule that you CANNOT DRINK alcohol while on it. I was told this my my GP, and yes i ignored it and I have drunk on it, i ALWAYS keep telling myself, maybe If i just have 1 drink with my friends, ill go home soon, or make a set time to stick by to go home..
BUT it never works. You must realise this.
THANK YOU FOR READING THIS..
Please don't be a hater, Please be nice to me, I am only trying my best as every one else is.
Thank you

I don't know if you've been successful at getting off cymbalta yet, but if not, you really need to,ween yourself off. I took one every Other day for two weeks then one every third day for two weeks then one a week, then I was off! It was not an easy process but I'm not a sedated zombie anymore! Hope your successful at getting away from this horrible drug, I too had no motivation to do anymore then I had to and that was hard in itself, so I feel alive again.

Oh man. I just got back from rehab. Been on Cymbalta for three years. I'm 33, been drinking since 18. Yes, I've gotten drunk but no black outs until I was on Cymbalta. All I wanted to do was drink. Risked my career, bf, car, and life.

I'm going to stop it and take Welbutrin. I can't take this anymore. Glad I'm not the only one.