If anyone is having extreme unexplained pain several months after an endometrial ablation, ask your doctor(s) to consider the possibility of blood being trapped in your uterus because of a blockage caused by scar tissue.
I am 50 years old and had the Thermachoice balloon ablation in November. I went through the procedure just fine with absolutely no pain, afterwards. The doctor mentioned to me afterwards that my uterus was much smaller and shaped differently than those she had seen (I have never been pregnant). It took the doctor only took 5 cc’s of fluid, a fraction of the fluid that she normally uses, to fill the balloon. I also did not have very much “drainage” over the following weeks/months.
Three months later, I began having what felt like menstrual cramps, and they began getting more painful every day. The pain seemed to be mostly on the left side than the right. After one week, I called my doctor and she sent me to have an ultrasound. The image showed nothing besides a very small cyst on my left ovary (the same side that was hurting), but they couldn’t imagine why that should be causing me so much pain. I began needing to take more and more ibuprofen every day, and after a week they suggested I go to the ER.
In the ER, I had a CT scan, which also showed nothing except for the same small cyst that the ultrasound showed. The ER Dr. gave me a prescription for Vicoden and an anti-inflammatory and told me to follow up with my doctor on Monday.
On Monday, I saw the doctor who looked at my scan. He asked me questions and talked with me thoroughly. The doctor still could not imagine why I would be having such pain. He suggested I stop taking the pain meds for a couple of days and then call the office to report how I was feeling. After 2 days, I reported that I did feel a bit better, although I did have to take ibuprofen one time during that period. Of course just hours after placing that call, the pain returned! From then on, it just got worse every day. I called the doctor one day and asked if I should maybe schedule a colonoscopy. I was due to have one, anyway, so the doctor thought it was a good idea.
Just over 5 weeks into the first onset of pain, I the pain became unmanageable again. I went to the ER. They did a pelvic exam and another sonogram, which showed no changes since the last sonogram. They gave me a shot for the pain, an antibiotic for a small amount of infection they saw, and I was told to follow through with the colonoscopy the following day.
Monday I was unable to take any pain medication before the colonoscopy. I have never experienced this kind of pain in my entire life! When I got to the colonoscopy center, I threw up from the pain. They put a pain agent in my IV and the colonoscopy went well, and everything checked out OK. My doctor called that evening and told me that she scheduled an exploratory surgery for that Friday. I was pain free the rest of the evening, as I was well medicated.
The next morning, the pain became so severe again; I really don’t remember the rest of the day. I must have called my doctors office a half dozen times that morning. After some discussion between the 2 doctors in the office, they wondered if perhaps there was an adhesion from the ablation 3 months earlier, and that there was blood/ debris trapped in my uterus. So I went to their office that afternoon, and they did sort of a D&C. Sure enough, trapped in my uterus was a lot of old blood that apparently had been in there for quite some time! They removed 15 cc’s, three times the amount of what my uterus should have been able to hold! That would explain why I was feeling like I was going to burst. This would also explain in the infection that the ER Dr. noticed two days earlier! The small cyst on the left ovary was not the culprit. It only added to the confusion. I sleep on my left side so maybe that’s why it hurt more on the left side.
I know this all sounds so gross, but hopefully this story might help someone else from having to suffer for 6 weeks like I did!

I am having the same symptoms 5 years after my ablation.  It started a few years ago but Drs never found the cause for my pain and gave me pain meds to get thru it.  Finally, last week it was found that I have 2 pockets of blood in my uterus that are trapped because of scar tissue.  The Dr said I needed a D&C to get rid of the blood.  However she wanted to do a biopsy first to be certain it was just scar tissue causing the blockage.  Unfortunately, there is SO much scar tissue that she cannot even do a biopsy.  She is now recommending a hysterectomy to remove my uterus.  This would remove the bood pockes, scar tissue and stop all future cycles so the blood doesn't pool again.  The other option is to see a specialist that can use a scope to clear he scar tissue and do the D&C, but she said I will likely need this a few more times as I am only 43 and likely will not go into menepause for another 10 years.

Just saw your post! As I had an ablation in May of 2012, I started having light periods in July. In October the periods became more crampy and a little more bleeding. No period in November, but a lot of cramping and pain. December I had a slight period one day and this past New Year's Eve day I thought I would be in the ER. Three days later I started bleeding. Went to the doc and she said the pain is most likely due to scar tissue. My only options are pain meds each month, or hysterectomy. I schedule hysterectomy and was due to have it today. Had to cancel yesterday, as now they found fibroids in my uterus and having frequency to pee, and discomfort in the urethra. I do have a history of Intersitial Cystistis with a 10 year remisson. Going to Urologist tomorrow and don't go see my Gyno now until Feb. 7th to discuss new surgery day. Want to get urinary track issues under control first, but I get mid cycle pain too.

Thank you so much for your post. I had the ablation surgery done 9 months ago, and last month I ended up in the ER with massive pain. They said I had fluid in my right fallopian tube after doing a CT Scan and vaginal sonogram. So they put me on antibiotics. They also had me see my GYN, which she suggested I see a gastro doctor. The gastro doctor had me get a barium x-ray, which showed nothing. Now he wants me to get a colonoscopy.
The thing is it happened again this month, and I noticed that last month and this month the day before the pain began I had light brown spotting. After reading your post I'm calling my GYN tomorrow, because I do not want to go thru this again next month.

Have you had symptoms since your procedure? My MD wants to do a hysterectomy and I'm hoping there is a more conservative solution. I had my ablation Five months ago and the pain is getting progressively worse and unbearable at times.

I am having the exact same thing after my novasure procedure in Sept 2013, and the last three months I cannot hardly stand it, it gets worse every month, last Friday is was so bad I ended up in the ER, ultrasound, pelvic exam, blood labs(no infections) all clear except for cycst that have been there for as long as I remember... Dr yesterday scheduled a D&C next week, I still feel awful...tired, aching all over...Like you said I feel like a balloon that is about to burst!! Bowels, kidneys everything is aching...if D&C doesn't clear anything, then I'll have to have surgery through navel to see if there is a chance of endometriosis (which is rare for a women who has two children I'm told) I was only 31 last year, and this new dr said I was awful young to have novasure, however, we were done having children. I miserable...having a BM is even painful...I wish i'd never had Novasure, the only reason was for heavy bleeding, and i'd much rather deal with that to be honest....oh, and my utuerine lining is now where near as thin as they would expect with Novasure....so this did nothing for me, and brought on worse problems....I think NOvasure is dangerous!!!

I agree 100%. I have the exact same story!!!:(

I had an ablation in august 2013.  Everything seemed to be a success - but in June of this year I began experiencing severe pain that was unbearable.  An internal ultrasound revealed that I had an extreme amount of blood trapped in my uterus that was overflowing into my Fallopian tubes.  My cervix had scarred over after the ablation. My doctor poked a small hole thru my cervix and all the blood drained out.  I am going back this month to have the same procedure done.  I am scared - anticipating what the outcome will be and what the future will hold for my uterus! But - most importantly my friends - I am not sure why the blood that was trapped in your case wasn't seen on the ultrasound. The doctor showed me and it is clear as a bell. Can't miss it. 

Did anyone get any further options from their doctor regarding the trapped blood?  I want to go in prepared for my appt and discuss with doctor. Hopefully know what I am talking about!!!

Thanks and hang in there!!! 

I had the novasure ablation done in March 2013, its been 18 months. I had no drainage at all. Everything was perfect. About three months ago i started having mild cramping each month. Last month i spotted for three days, nothing major. Today I am getting severe cramping in my left side, ovary area. Like a contraction, knife stabbing into me lasting for only seconds then gone just as fast but comes back about two minutes later. Wondering if this could also be the same thing?

I am having the same issues and the MD dilated my cervix in the office but, I did not have any bleeding as of yet. What is the latest with your situation?

I am having bad pain, but only during my almost nonexistent periods. I am having to take a narcotic, and I don't generally like taking them. I had my ablation last November and this pain started about May. If I don't take medicine I end up in a ball sweating and clammy from the pain. They did an ultrasound and found thickening of the endometrium, which they said was normal. Help!

I had an endeometrial ablation done 3 weeks ago . Was I terribke pain after the procedure and had to stay in over night in hospital because my blood pressure went sky high with the pain . Had it done on the 16th dec 14 on the 2nd jan15 I went to a&e in agony pain one sided like a stabbing pain near ovary I would say like someone had stuck a knife straight through me. I ended up been admired. I had the gushes of fluid which turns out are from blisters from the burning of the lining ( wasn't told this would happen) . Scans showed i arts fine but still fluid in m womb . Diognosed me with endeometritis ( not endeometriosis I also have that) was on 2 lots of anitbiotiv IV , one made me violent sick. Discharged on the 5th jan 15 . With a weeks supply of oral antibiotics and pain killers . I honestly wish I had never had this done and read up more about after. I'm dreading the future . I still have pain and like someone else I also have intestinal cystitis which was in remission but since having this ablation seems to playing up. If anyone is reading this who is thinking of having it done think carefully . I'm 43 and suffered really bad heavy periods maybe another 6 years or so I might be going through the menopause ( hopefully) just praying in another few weeks everything is going to be ok and don't have any more issues as I have a rare kidney disorder I deal with too

I had an the thermal ablation in Aug 2007. About a year latter I started having pains went to er everything checked out. I have been to every doctor under the sun and nothing. Still today I have the pain, it was just a few days a month. But now it's happening every 4-5 days lasting 2-3 days. The pain is so intense I've been passing out and throwing up. Was in the Er last night. All scans blood work urine test came back fine. Id rather be in labor, the pains come in waves and feels like contractions. Calling my OBGYN Monday. Going to ask for a hysterectomy.

I am also having these same issues. My cervix is blocked. the dr couldn't get the scope in and I talk to her Wednesday about hysterectomy. I'm only 33. I had Novasure ablasion almost 5 years ago becaus my periods were long and heavy leaving me with only a few day a month period free. I don't recommend alblasion for anyone!

Thank you so much for sharing your story in detail. I am experiencing the same pain that you describe and I also had ablation surgery and I just recently had a scan and they only noticed a small fibroid. I find your information very helpful as I am having a hard time getting through the day with this pain and nothing for pain medication is helping. My doctor wanted to put me on the pill but I am sure I need more than that. My pain is also on the left side.