(another in a random series. for your reading pleasure - responses and thoughts optional) Show of hands here - who finished their first twenty-mile run and thought, "I must be nuts to do this!" ? I did, I really did. It (that run - one down, two to go before Mad City) was predictable to form whenever I lengthened my long run PRs. Start out way too fast, and the last quarter running on fumes. Never fails, no matter what the distance was - 12 miles (way back when), it happened at 8. 16 miles, at 12. And 20, it stayed true and happened at 15. All of these thrown in with cold weather and wind. Even Easter? Come on - some sort of break here. (At least there was no wind for St Louis). Were I just beginning running, this would have bummed me out no end. But I'm finding that as well as mistakes and negatives, I'm find these strange little positives. It's the first 20-miler - next time I'll have some idea what I'm heading into. It's just a 10K away from a full marathon (it doesn't sound as bad to me when it's a 10K instead of 6 miles). No injuries. The trigeminal neuralgia didn't fire up again. And so on. But what's interesting is I'm these things come to me very quickly after I finish, more so than when I started to run. I think this is part of the growing process. Not just the mental - the "how's my form"/"how's my pace" sort of thing. But a confidence in what I can do. It encourages. And if not held in place, it can lead to over-confidence. Thank goodness for my wife and my coach. They figured me out already. I may never. And I think that's a good thing.

Tru dat.

I thought I was nuts at 18M. Then at 20M I felt like a god. At 22M I felt like a god. At 20M #2 I felt nuts. At 22M #2 I felt like a god. At 22M #3 I felt supremely powerful because I'd wanted to do 24, knew I could, but stopped because of some weird problem. But man oh man, I felt awesome at 26.2M.

I feel nuts a lot. Mostly in 5K races over longer distances, or at the 7M mark in training. Weird the way the mind works.

Only once you log such a run on a treadmill do we pin the "insanity" button on your lapel.

and offer you some lovely parting gifts backstage.
Treadmill running is used as capital punishment in some Third World countries...

I absolutely loved my long runs.

It was the going to bed early enough to get up early enough to run them that drug me down.