What with Nanny 911 and similar programs, I think there is a general expectation that we are all super-parents these days. I am always worrying there are things I am doing to my children that are not good for them or that I am neglecting to do things I should be doing with them, like playing with them for hours on end, which I simply don't have the time for. Is there a way to know if we are super-parents?

I think that in this day and age, we should try to let go of so many of the things we have been obessing over. We can become better people and better parents by letting go of the notion that everything needs to be perfect. By doing the best we can, we are certainly the best parents we can be for our children, which is all we could ever be. I am not saying this should be used as an excuse to under parent though, but I think that was clear.

The best thing you can do as a parent is to have every positive intention for your child and trust your own judgment. If you go to others for advice you may get a lot of bad parenting tips, and your child will suffer in the end.

Also, don't compare your child's success relative to how other children are doing, but relative to what you perceive your child's potential to really be. if you get competitive with your child's performance you will end up using your child as a tool to look like a good parent in the eyes of your peers, that is a bad idea (a lot of parents do this and their children grow up never being happy because their parents always pushed them and shaped their life, without any regard for what the child really wanted)