I have a similar problem. No runny nose, headache or pain but when I lay down at night my throat itches. I don't understand what it is. If I lay on my left side the left side of my throat itches. If right side the right side itches. The Dr looked at my throat and says it seems to look fine. It takes me a few hours to fall asleep every night. If I wake up in the middle of the night my throat feels fine. HELP!

Ok i have had this tickle in my throat too but it does not happen in the night! It happens at school or in other phlox places and it is embarrassing because everyone thinks I am choking and I cough alot and my eyes get watery ! I need answers!! I ha e been reduced to bringing water with me everywhere to stop the tickle sometimes does not even work!!

1. Make sure you dust your bedroom regularly as dust can cause this problem while sleeping. 2. You also but a Humidifier in your bedroom because the dry air coming from your homes air system could be drying your throat out while sleeping. 3. Breathing in steam (water vapor) helps out a lot with the dry itchy throat. I use to wake up in the middle of the night coughing constantly from and itchy throat and run some hot water in my sink and hold my head over it while breathing in the vapors. If you noticed, you probably don't ever have this itchy throat problem when you are in the shower. 4. You can warm up an glass of water and mix in a couple tablespoons of honey and lemon juice. You should drink some before you go to bed and then leave the rest of it bedside just in case you wake up with the itchy throat and need to drink more.      Well, I hope I help someone out with this info. I know it was very annoying to me when it was going and I am happy to say I don't have this problem anymore now :-D

i had these kinda of attacks all the time once i started middle school my doctors always told me it was asthma i always found that holding my breath worked for a short time but the itch or whatever would creep up my throat and force me to start coughing a lot....drinking a lot of water would help the best...i dont get them as often now but i do keep water within arms reach no matter where i am...usually now it only happens at night i will get the itch right after i dose off to sleep and i will have to drink a bunch of water and that usually repeats a couple more times before i can completely fall asleep

Same to me. Its been over 3 yrs and dr. cant figure it out...
I have tried several prescribed medications, had pulm test, had mri and xray... I'm still coughing...

I get these attacks about once a week, usually when I lay down to sleep. Nothing seemed to help, but then I discovered that if I take a finger full of powdered vitamin C and let it dissolve under my tongue, it goes away almost immediately.

I am assuming it is dust related or asthma because it runs in the family, but as long as Vitamin C works i'll stick to that instead of chemical inhalants or cough meds.

I would be curious if this works for any of you and if so, please let me know your results.

I've had the same problem!!! IIt happens a little throughout the day, but at night is the worst. I haven't been able to sleep for 5 days because of the itchy or tickle, or whatever it is in the back of my throat.. My husband is making me go to the doctor tomorrow. I was on a Z-pack when it started and have been waiting for it to go away. Since It hasn't I started taking allergy medicine, but nothing helps! I feel like I have to cough to clear the gravel out of my throat, and then the coughing is getting so bad I gag. All I cando is wait for morning and it clears up.

Quote:

I had the same problem until I was diagnosed with non-wheezing asthma. Now I just use my inhaler and the cough goes away.

Hi, I agree with you 100%. I think it's allergies that trigger an asthma attack hence the coughing which is annoying and persistent as though one is chocking. I use my puffer and still take allergy medicine and it helps though I wish I could stop being sensitive to allergens.

I've had this same issue. The other night I almost had my husband take me to the E.R. because I thought my throat would close. Mine starts on one side of the throat, then moves to the other and spreads. It feels like I have sand in my throat. It starts as an itch and i clear my throat, then it gets worse and worse. Sometimes it makes me cough so hard I throw up. The other night, once it calmed down enough to breath regularly, I ate a banana and it seemed to help coat my throat enough to go back to sleep. I'm supposed to see an ENT soon since the doc has no idea what is wrong. He put me on claritan, a nose spray, and cough syrup with codine to no avail. I want to sleep more than a few hours again, and if this doesn't stop I think the husband will kill me. If anyone finds answers please let me know

Tea Tree oil works for me also, I though I was the one who invented this cure...lol...I try iether gargling and swallow a tiny bit or just put a couple of drobs down the back of the throat. It seems to go to the right spot and knock out the itch for the whole night of sleeping.

Guest wrote:

I believe i have the exact same problem as ivory. This itchy feeling in my throat just wont go away and it's constantly making me cough. After i cough to re leave the itch it's gone for about 1.5 seconds and then it comes back, you can imagine how annoying it is!

If anyone can help please reply!

I feel ya. I know how annoying it is. I have it now. But I have no idea what it is, where it came from, or how to get rid of it ! :(

However, Wikipedia is being updated everyday for something new or making changes. You can't trust that site.

i have the same problem and its really anoying i have only had it for a week now and i dont know what to do 
sometimes i throw up because of it . please help me :-)

I have exactly the same symptoms as most of you! my throat is always itchy, then when i do something about it, it triggers coughing which hurts even more and it feels as if my throat will close up but it doesnt. i also constantly have a runny nose and one of my eys always waters up. There is no clear pattern to any of this. it really hurts and i want it gone!! If someone could show this thread to a doctor it would be great to get some answers!

I"m not going to be much help I have been having this constant tickle right side of throat actually it comes and goes very irritating its like something is caught in my throat, Back has been hurting and right side of ribs has me pretty worried no insurance now but have had cancer in the past very worried.....