A few days after my post here, I decided to make fresh ginger tea and this really helped clear up my dry itchy throat after a few cups. I purchased fresh ginger at the supermarket, wash it, remove the outer skin if you wish, cut it up into 10-12 thin slices, put them in a small pot of water and bring the water to a boil. After it starts boiling, turn down to low for another 10 minutes and it should be ready to drink hot. You can decide if you want to add honey to it or not. I didn't.

You can probably buy ginger tea in the teabags in the supermarket, but some are just not strong enough to clear up the throat ticklishness.

I hope this works for you as it for me.

Hello my name is ivory too and i'm also going through this same problem....HEEELLLPP!!!

I'm no help--I've had this problem for 12 years..I have seen a zillion doctors and no one can find out the problem. It has ruined my life--I can't go anywhere..I think it is an allergy to the smog where I live. I just went to hawaii for a week and still coughed, but half as much--each day I was getting better.

I've had this too and it makes me lose a lot of sleep. I went to the doctor and they told me its GERD. Got endoscopy and doctor found esophagitis, damage caused by the acid going up to my throat. My suggestion to the sudden itch and uncontrollable cough is to drink water as soon as you feel the itch get a candy ( very sweet candy or strong mint ) , it will go away then breath tru your nose close your mouth and stay calm. take deep breaths

i started off dizzy and i ate chaved ice which was probobly a bad idea then i couldnt stop coughing the more i cough the more my thoat hurts also it hurts to breath i woke up with a violent vomit and after i vomited my nose started bleeding. i hope this goes away soon but what do i take to make it go away

I've found that squeezing water from a plastic water bottle onto the are of the throat which seems itchy has helped reliev my itch - and it *is* an itch, not a tickle. I also press, with my finger tips, the neck area just opposite the itchy site, then cough hard, and relief usually comes.

My itch comes from:

a) the mucous from post nasal drip landing just at the edge of the opening to the trachea
b) a dry spot in the throat area around the trachea entrance, thus causing the itch
c) or - and this is a long shot - my being Type 2 Diabetic, inadequate circulation in the throat area bringing on the itch as the body's "warning" that something's a little concerning. As a diabetic, I'm prone to back itching as well, usually at night

Correction: "are of the throat" should be "area of the throat". and "reliev my itch" should be "relieve my itch"

Apologies ..

This just started yesterday , right after my fever went away. Now i cant stop coughing and its really annoying. Its like 2 cough's.... Then again and again.. I don't know whats happening to me :/

I cough every once in awhile, I get this itch right side of throat, if I drink something it usually subsides, what is it an allery?

why does eating bananas cause this?

Sounds very similar to what my friend is going through, except he found out that his lymph nodes are enlarged on his X-rays and MRI. He coughs so much that his ribs are in a lot of pain, and is miserable. I say change your doctor, my friend took three different doctors to know about his lymph nodes. He took extensive amount of allergy pills which obviously didnt help, had steroids from doctors that said will help him (it did a only little bit for a short period of time)
Hope the money isn't the problem because I know how frustrating it is to be in misery, I've seen it, and I've had pnuemonia myself, which causes a lot of coughing as well.
Good luck!

Thanks for the inhaler tip. I just read this & borrowed my daughters . One puff. Now cough is completely gone. Now off to the dr to get my own. Ptl I read this!!!!

These symptoms can come from using high blood pressure medication. It's a side effect!

In my case, the cause is no mystery.  I go out in our 3 wooded acres full of leaf mold and the itching often starts right up (especially if there had been a recent rain).  But I have no problem in dry weather.  The only solution I have found is taking throat drops containing Pectin (like Halls Breezers).  Pectin is also used by public speakers and singers to avoid throat irritations from fatigue.  I keep the Pectin candy by my bed, in my car, at work and at home because when I need it, I need it fast!

You guys are

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

, not one answer just a

all complaining about the same thing, and here I am sitting here coughing to the point of blood because I have to wade through 5 pages of incoherent BS.