Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem for the past couple weeks. I went to my doctor yesterday but got a simple "I don't know" answer from her, and had a bunch of blood tests done. I'm not convinced blood tests will give me my answer.

For a couple weeks now, every morning about 20 minutes after I wake up, either my ankles, wrists, or elbows are targeted with an extreme, unbearable itch. Nothing shows at first, no redness or sign of irritation, but after I scratch like crazy (itchy enough to bring me to tears), I develop a couple white bumps, which sort of look like mosquito bites. After about an hour the itch starts to fade and for the rest of the day there's no sign of anything where the itch was before. This happens mostly on my ankles, one ankle at a time, but I have had it a couple times on my elbows and wrists.

This happens before I do anything in the morning, I don't expose those areas to anything and I don't eat or drink anything before. I have tried changing sheets on my bed, changed washing detergents, and even tried sleeping in a different bed. No help there.

What strikes my confusion the most here is that it happens at the same time every day, after a short 20 or so minute delay after waking up and no other time during the day.

I have Hypothyroidism and have been on Synthroid for about 15 years, and have been on Effexor for an Axiety Disorder for about a year. I started taking vitamins about a month and a half ago. Nothing new that would cause this. Nothing had changed in my diet recently, and I'm active at the gym about 4-5 times a week.

Can anyone relate to my issue or have any suggestion on what this could be?

I've ruled out Hives - I'm almost sure that's not it.

Hi: You are not going to like me too much because the 1st thing I thought of was the following.

http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/health/Bed_Bugs.htm

That's right BED BUGS!!!! o.O they attack the ankles so check out the pictures and all of the symptoms, see if that matches also below is info about hives, if you check this out and really look at ALL the pictures and information I would hazzard a guess this is your situation more than bed bugs. Read the part about going away after a couple of hours.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/hives-urticaria-angioedema

Take a look at both and I think it will provide an answer for you. Also ask your doctor to send you to a dermatologist. Good luck hon!

Hm ... they both have parts that sound similar, but I'm still not convinced. Both result in red bumps, which I don't have. I'm going to keep researching those two though, see if I can find more similarities. I've already heard back from my doctor about all my blood tests and everything came back normal/negative. So, I'll read more about hives/bed bugs.

Thanks so much for your info, greatly appreciated!

its so strange to read this its is me exactly and its not bed bugs have a bad back so i sleep in chairs many different ones and different places and it does the same thing i am gong crazy last few weeks with this almost every morning im in modesto calif

i have had simular issues, itchybumps around joints after workout. i take a combination of vitamins, maybe that may be the problem, it happens once every months, when I stop or reduce the vitamins, the condition dissipate. not sure if the vitamins are causing the itchybumps or not.

Well WTH!???!

My teen son has this too. And we are under the IMPRESSION that allergy meds help it go away. His last longer than just an hour. He just said it seems to depend on how much he scratches it.

Oye! I hope someone has come up with more info on this. Going to a dermatologist is probably the most sensible thing to do, and I'm disappointed your DR didn't immediately refer you to one. We live an hour from just about everything :( but I'm going to continue to search for an answer. 

If I can find my way back to this particular question (page) I will be sure to share! :)

I have had the same accept the bumps are red and don't go away . they will stop itching but will still be there

I’m having the same problem. Concentrated on my knees and ankles, occasionally my elbows, wrists, knuckles. I can’t figure it out. Itchy welts that go away shortly after I get out of bed.