hello

i went to the gym last tuesday and did a big workout on my chects. I got really sore afterwards as normal because i have not work my chest out that intensively for about 6 months. It is now one week later and my left pec still hurts and is a little swollen. What do you think could be the cause?

You should have warned up! Maybe you tore or strained your muscle! Depending on the severity of the damage, you may experience different symptoms and it may take time to heal.
For example, if it is a grade one injury, then a couple of muscle fibers have torn and the muscle strength should be normal, but the muscle may be tender.
In the second grade injury, more muscle fibers are torn, you may feel more severe pain along with the swelling, bruising and some strength loss.
Third grade muscle injuries are serious and it means that there is no strength in the muscle, and you would be in a great deal of pain, swelling and discoloration.
Depending on the severity, it could take months. My friend once took 2,5 months for pectoral to heal. His muscle was also strained from not being warmed up well.
What you need to do is rest the muscle, apply icepacks (but not directly to the skin), and compress the muscle with an elastic bandage.

thanks for the reply. I iced it for a day.

I am going to warm up in the future, i was being very foolish. The swelling has gone away and the pain has pretty much aswell.

i think it was just a strain, rather tahn a tear.

I went jet skiing about a wek ago. My husband (Mr.Kawasaki) was driving while I was holding on for dear life. The next few days I was sore everywhere in my upperbody but now am I only sore in one place. It is the left side of my chest but this goes way beyond the dull achey soreness you get after a strenous workout... this is severe pain and it is in one primary location. It hurts so bad that I can't sleep at night because when I move it wakes me up. If I sneeze, cough, yawn, or even take a deep breath the pain is almost unbearable. Raising my left arm or pulling anything hurts too. What has happened, what should I do, and how long is this going to last???