Hi, I`m 24, 6 months pregnant and have this problem with leg cramps. They don`t last long, only for a minute, but are very painful. My doctor told me that the cause of it could be my high weight, but also that the exact cause of leg cramps is not well understood. I was told that the leg cramps occur when the muscle suddenly and forcefully contracts. Anybody know something more? It`s really painful and my condition, as being pregnant, worries me.

Hi, not pregnant but a sportsman myself and I had those cramps usually after exercising with more activity or while I was doing some different exercise than usual. So far, all I know is that lag cramps are a painful contraction of muscles and that the treatment depends on severity and degree of impairment. I read that the cause of leg cramps could also be a muscle fatigue, dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. Now, I`m training gradually and am avoiding sudden increases in activity. Quinine Sulfate helped me, the common drug for leg cramps, but don`t know if you could use it in your condition. I think you should try to massage your sore muscle, it often solves the problem.

I am pregnant and have nothing but legs cramps from the beginning. Mostly in one than the other. Besides muscle contractions etc... One must think about the dramatic affect 30 plus pounds puts on a body unaccustomed. As well, depending on you uterus which is contantly expanding, pressure on nerves (circulation), muscles can result in a wole leg feeling numb or dull ache that is really annoying. I usually put my feet or legs up - just on the couch and have my husband give a small massage. Doesn't always do the trick but it's better than nothing. Keeps me awake at night even but doc states not to worry just another ordeal to deal with so to speak.