I Had an abortion on april 2, 2009 it has been about eight weeks now and i am still bleeding. I when back to the doctore about this situation and he give me a vaginal exam to be sure that everything was normal, he said that nothing was left inside of me and that my cervix has been completely close as though i never even had a baby. what i want to know is, is it normal to bleed for so long after aborting a pregnancy its getting me kind of worried. can someone please help.

The answer would depend upon how much your are bleeding. Is it heavy, moderate, lite or spotting? This would make a huge difference. You were wise to go back to the doctor. If you are not comfortable with what he/she is telling you, get a second opinion right away. Another thing to consider is that the procedure is a type of shock to your system. It may take some time for your periods to normalize. However, if the bleeding is more than lite, I would definitely get a second opinion right away. You would not want to become anemic, which carries its own dangers. Please let us know what you find out and how you are doing.

It is normal oftentimes to bleed well after an abortion but it seems to me that the bleeding has gone on a little too long. Since you said you went to the doctor about this, when did you last see the doctor? I think that if you haven't seen one recently that you should just to make sure that everything is normal. Please keep us posted on the diagnosis.

THE BLEEDING THE I AM EXPERIENCEING IS VERY VERY LIGHT (FYI: I DON'T HAVE TO USE A PAD I CAN JUST USE A PANTY LINER ALL DAY IF I CHOOSE). BUT ON MAYBE THREE OR FOUR DAYS, BUT NOT OCCATIONALLY I WOULD EXPERIENCE MEDIUM BLEEDING, BUT NEVER HEAVY.
WHEN I CHECK BACK WITH THE DOCTOR WHAT HE ALSO TOLD ME WAS THAT HE WOULD PUT ME ON SOME BIRTH CONTROL FOR A TEMPARARY PERIOD OF TIME JUST TO CONTROL THAT BLEEDING IF IT DIDN'T STOP BY THE FOLLOWING WED 5/26/09, BUT I REALLY DIDNT WANT THAT SO I HAVEN'T CHECK BACK WITH HIM AS YET TO LET HIM KNOW THAT THE SITUATION IS STILL THE SAME. .

I understand if you don't like the course of treatment that he was prescribing, but you should still see your doctor regardless. May I ask why you don't want to do birth control? I'm sorry if it's a nosy question but I'm just curious as to why you didn't want to do that course of treatment. In either case, please see him as soon as possible and keep us posted.

Hi Again:
I agree with healthnfitnessguy. I think that you should follow the doc's advice and let him/her know that you are still bleeding, even if it's lite. You just want to be sure that everything is going well. Again, the abortion may seem like a quick procedure, but it is a medical procedure none the less. You wouldn't want something that may be correctable to turn into something that could affect your medical future. I'd be interested in hearing the answer to the question about BC also. Please let us know what you think.

HEALTHNFITNESSGUY, YOU ARE NOT BEING NOSEY, BUT THE REASON I DON'T WANT TO TAKE THE BIRTH CONTROL PILLS IS BECAUSE JUST ABOUT EVERYONE THAT I KNOW THAT TOOK THOSE PILLS EITHER GOT FAT, HAD VERY BAD EFFECT FROM THEM, OR BLEED UNCONTROLABLY. BUT I HAVE GOOD NEWS TODAY IS 6/1/09 AND FINALLY I HAVE NO PERIOD. IT HAS COME TO A COMPLETE STOP. SO FYI I YOU CAN ACTUALLY BLEED UP TO TWO MONTHS AFTER HAVING AN ABORTION OR AT LEAST THATS HOW LONG IT HAS BEEN FOR ME.

THANKS A MILLION FOR ALL OF YOU WHO HAS BEEN SUPPORTIVE IT REALLY HELPED ME ALONG THE WAY.

I just wanted to stress one more thing or give you one more thing to think about. Could the pill have a worse effect than the effects of an abortion. If that is your only solution to an unwanted pregnancy and you are not using BC, your chances of facing another abortion is pretty high. That procedure is traumatic and unnatural for you body to experience. Would you be against trying the BC pill. Everyone doesn't experience the same effects. I know many, many women who have not had any trouble with weight gain, etc. Your experience will be personal to you. Think about other non-chemical BC methods. They may be inconvenient, but still better than a medical procedure after the fact. Best wishes to you. Please let me know what you think.