I live in the Middle East, basically in the desert. Since I have moved here I have had recurring issues with my lips. First they become tingly and slightly itchy and look like they're chapped. Within 4-5 hours, they are red, swollen, burning, and extremely itchy. If I don't keep heavy duty moisturizer and presciption corticosteroid on them constantly, they end up scabbing, cracking and bleeding. They then heal and the process starts all over again within 1-3 weeks. I take a multivitamin with zinc and B12, and I try to drink lots of water. I have been to 3 different doctors here and they have all told me that it is dehydration. I am wondering if it is something else. It's a minor problem, but highly annoying and terrible-looking. Does anyone know if something other than vitamin deficiency, dehydration or candida (a cause that was quickly ruled out) could cause this problem?

Hi, Could it possibly be recurring cold sores? I get them often myself if I have long exposure to very hot climates, wind or alot of sun. It starts out with tingly, burning and itching and then they become swollen and scab over and then go away. It is quite possible for it to return shortly there after as it is contagious. The best thing to do is keep your lips moisturized, sometimes petroleum jelly helps. Try also using sunscreen while you are outside and don't lick your lips. The danger with chapped lips is that they can become infected. To prevent infection, apply an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment such as Bacitracin or Polysporin Ointment. Over-the-counter hydrocortisone ointments can also help with chapped lips, but they would not prevent infection. If your lips are severely chapped, you may want to use both. Apply one in the morning and one at night. - Nutritional deficiencies. Such as those of B-complex vitamins and iron can play a part in scaling of the lips. So make sure you're okay on that front with a multivitamin supplement. - Moisturize your lips from the inside out by drinking additional fluids. Chapped lips are a dehydration problem as well. - Don't lick your lips. When you lick them, you momentarily apply moisture, which then evaporates and leaves your lips feeling drier than before. Besides, saliva contains digestive enzymes. Granted they're not very strong, but they don't do your sore lips any good. - Licking chapped lips can lead to something called lip-licker's dermatitis, it's usually seen in kids but can occur in adults, too. What happens when you lick your lips is that you scrape off any oil that might be on them from surrounding areas. - Remember, too, that the sun fries lips - any time of the year. Before you go out - and several times while you're out - coat your lips with a lip balm. Since lips don't hold anything on them very well, reapply it every time you eat or drink anything or wipe your lips. Home Remedy: You may not always have something handy. Rub your finger gently on the side of your nose. Then rub your finger around your lips. It picks up a little of the oil that's naturally there. It's the kind of oil the lips are looking for anyway, and they usually get it from contact with adjacent skin. You couldn't get any more of a home remedy than that. Best of Luck.. Melissa

Hi Mccarville,

check out this thread on the same site. It's the best resource i've found on the issue, with LOTS of people having the same problem!

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Recurring_Lip_Infection__not_just_chapped_but_worse_t196437.html?page=1