One friend of mine complains about thrombosed hemorrhoids. I would like to know if that is the same as usually mentioned term hemorrhoids, or that is something else. There is something that surprises me, and that is how long he keeps complaining about it. I think he is ordered for surgical removal of those hemorrhoids, so I wonder if that is right thing to do. Can you tell me more about this type of hemorrhoids and treatment?

All people have blood-filled sacs that cushion the passage of stool through the anal canal, but when these sacs become enlarged, they are called hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids can occur during or after pregnancy, or after long periods in a seated position. Common causes for hemorrhoids are constipation and diarrhea. Hemorrhoids generally are classified as external, which can be very painful, and internal, which can protrude and bleed. External hemorrhoids can become thrombosed, which means they developed blood clots inside. This type of hemorrhoids can become very tender as well. Large blood clots can produce pain with walking, sitting or passage of stool, which are very unpleasant symptoms of this problem. Procedure for relieving hemorrhoids usually creates an incision over the clot, allowing the doctor to squeeze out the clot. Unfortunately, this quick and easy procedure frequently results in blood clots reforming and continuing pain, so this is not long-lasting solution. A more extensive procedure is full hemorrhoidectomy, which removes the clot and the blood vessels in the hemorrhoid.