I have neighbor that always complain of some pain. He is always telling me about pain in his toes. When I asked him about that, he didn’t know to explain to me anything. All he said was that he’s got Morton’s Neuroma. I would like to know more about that disease, because I really want to understand him.

Morton’s Neuroma is a condition with a thickening of the nerve tissue. Since it happens between the metatarsal heads, he’s complaining to pain in his toes. Almost always problem occur somewhere round the third and fourth metatarsal heads. That’s why patients usually complain of extreme pain felt between the metatarsals as well as burning, pins and needles, tingling and loss of sensation in the corresponding toes. Morton’s Neuroma is caused with during certain kinds of over pronation. That’s how pivoting and the 3rd and 4th metatarsals can cause a shearing force. That entraps the digital nerve and causes inflammation, which causes pain. Another theory for Morton’s Neuroma is that since 1st, 2nd and 3rd metatarsal articulate with the cuneiforms are in fixed position, and 4th and 5th metatarsal articulates with the cuboid and float, there is no motion between the 3rd and 4th which cause irritation to the nerve that runs between. Since the problem at Morton’s Neuroma is over pronation, patient should be fitted with orthotics and will likely experience some pain relief within weeks. Complete recovering will come within months, generally 2-3 months.