Hello. A month ago I’ve noticed a slight swelling of both of my eyelids. I have asked my friend who works at the hospital for advice and he told me that it could be an infection and recommended that I take the antibiotic amoxicillin hoping that it would reduce the swelling. It didn’t get any better so I’m not sure what to do. I’m 45 years old and I’m suffering from glomerulonephritis if that makes any difference…

Since the antibiotic didn’t work its possible that it isn’t bacterial infection or the antibiotic that was taken was unsuitable for this type of bacteria. For bacterial infections besides swelling of eyelids there also would be inflammatory redness present so I don’t think that’s the problem in your case. Glomerulonephritis could be the cause of your swelling because it causes edema, condition followed by swelling of different parts of your body, especially eyelids. Other possible causes of your symptoms could also be conjunctivitis, stye, orbital cellulitis or herpes zoster ophthalmicus. However, I wouldn’t exclude some trivial causes like common hair spray allergy. You should consult your doctor to run some tests to determine the real cause.