I've been having these pains since I was about five and I just turned fifteen.

I think it may be related ot anxiety and stress.

I wish someone would just figure out what causes it a administer a medicine or treatment.

It really sucks. x_x

Ill second that,
I'm a 22 year old med student and have had that pain for the last 6/7 years. It happens to me more when im stressed or anxious and for longer in those conditions. My brother also has it so im going to be bold and assume that there is a genetic factor to it and that its just some subtle physiological defect thats occurs during your natural growth.

The condition ((if its the one im thinking of)) is Precordial Catch Syndrome, the following link will better describe it. It seems to be perfectly harmless at least from my own experience and from what I know of the condition.
I've never had it during any form of exercise, it only happens at rest and as the previous guest suggested when i'm stressed or bizzarrely enough when I think about the it happening.

Still, if your having chest pain regardless of whether you think its PCS the best thing to do would be to go see a doctor, You can discuss possibilities with him/her.

Check out the link below and the "signs of more concerning illness" at the bottom.

failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/precordial_catch_syndrome_chest_pain/

Hope this helps,

Greg

Hi, I think you all may have costocondritis (I think thats how you spell it) I suffer with it too, have had all the checks on my heart, xrays and many other tests, and that is what I eventually was told I have, if you google it perhaps you can read up on it, there appears to be no cure and it can just come on you at any time, it can go away for a few weeks/years/months but it does come back from time to time, I currently have it again for the past 24 hours now hence why I have searched it and ended up here! My daughter (now 23) also suffers with it. Hope this info helps! :-) - Julie (MAN UNTIDED FAN) it feels like your dying when you get an attack.

The cause could be PCS ("Precordial Catch Syndrome"). It's something people have in childhood that can continue on into adulthood. Doctors aren't sure what causes it, but they think it is harmless. The symptoms are randomly occuring sharp chest pains that are very localized, so much so that people can often put their hand on the exact spot where the pain is occurring. The pain worsens as you breathe in or out, and feels like a bubble ready to pop. If you take one very deep breath in, it feels as though the bubble has "popped" and the sharp pain immediately goes away. I've had this pain since I was a little girl, and I'm now 29. I only get this pain every month or so, but some people can get it more or less often. Also, I tend to be lying down when I get the pain, and moving in certain positions makes it better or worse. This is common with PCS. Because it does not appear to be dangerous, and many people have it, little research has been done on it. It is also hard to research b/c it occurs randomly and only lasts for a short while- usually a few seconds to several minutes. Hope this helps...

Hi
I had a gallbladder surgery and after the surgery the pains were in my chest that radiated to my back and up to my neck.... i read someones message that maybe it was a pinched nerve so one week after my surgery i was in a chiropractors office..... he felt my neck and back... he said i was out bad... he was able to crack my neck twice... you would of thought a whole popcorn bowl was made.. than came the back and also my ribs were out.... after he finished cracking me, now you have to know tht he had to be careful because of my stitches... well, i was able to not only walk out with my head up instead of down at my chest.. but i could breathe without the pain..
get to a chiropractor immediately... i'm going back again today since my back is still sore and it was an area that he couldn't get to due to the surgery..........

I think it is PCS just like the poster a few rows up said. I've had it since I was a child and it happens to me several times a year, but it sounds like some of you experience it for a longer period of time than I do. I definitely get relief if I can force myself to go ahead and take that deep breath. Hurts like hell but then the pain is gone.

Here's more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome

I'm also 15 and get these pains, they are horrible and i cant stand them! I dont drink or smoke, it is weird. Right side of body, middle of ribcage (heightwise)

I'm 15 going on 16 and I'm starting to get these odd symptoms. I thought it was a form of PMS since it started happening so close to it, but I've never had chest pains like this before. Every time I breathe deeply, I get a sharp stabbing pain starting in the mid-abdomen quickly traveling to the center of my ribcage. At that point it's almost as if my heart stops beating.

It only happened once before in December last year ,but that time (oddly enough) it was focased only on the mid-abdomen. It was this intense pain like someone was stabbing me with a dagger right in the stomach and twisting it. Now it goes to the chest utterly preventing the inhaling sequence altogether.

On top of that in between the times of the original pain in december and now, I've experienced moments where my heart stopped for no reason at random times. I'm not overweight and I'm not too skinny,(my family history has no record of any diseases) so what could be wrong with me?

So after reading all of these messages. I recently for the past week have been having the same problem with the stabbing pain in the chest/rib cage area. It first started of on my left side of my body so i was just thinking it was heart burn because it would go away after an hour or so I thought nothing off it. The pain would come and go day to day.. and finally today i woke up with the pain, I thought I pulled a muscle so I stretched it out, and still the stabbing pain was there. I didn't know wat to do so I went to CVS and got some aspirin and went to work. THe pain was still there at 10 and it wouldnt go away. My aunt finally took me in the house and it got worse from there. Everytime I breathed in deep it was that sharp pain.
They took me in the ambulance and much like everyone else they put me on the heart monitors checking my blood sugar and pressure, evrything seemed good. Got to the hospital checked everything got an ultrasound not gall stones, nothing in my stomach, nothing wrong in my chest, everything looked fine.3 doctors were dumbfounded and didn't know what was wrong with me or what was causing my pain. One said pulled muscle but pulled muscles don't move from side to side, one said pneumonia, and the other said they have no clue along with the other two if they were wrong with the muscle pull and the pneumonia.

From 8-12 at night I still have this pain and it wont go away. I did reseeach and found Precordial Catch Syndrome and that relates to what I'm feeling. If anyoneeeeee knows what is going on please let me know this is killing me.

I have the same problem which started about 15 minutes ago still on but mild. The only difference with the preceding is that my pain is closer to my spinal chord.

My only assumption is that the steroid placed in most asthma medications caused a slight enlargement or irregularity in the way the lung contracts and relaxes. but im only 16 so idk...

Here's what I found out it was: Precordial catch syndrome

"PCS manifests itself as a very intense, sharp pain typically at the left side of the chest which is worse when taking breaths. Patients often think that they are having a heart attack which causes them to panic. This typically lasts 30 seconds to 3 minutes, though some episodes last only a few breaths and in rare cases can last up to 30 minutes. In all cases the pain is resolved quickly and completely."

"Although deep inhalation during a PCS attack will likely cause an increase in pain, many have found that forcing themselves to breathe as deeply as possible will result in a "popping" or "ripping" sensation which quickly and completely resolves the PCS episode."

That Sharp Pain in your Chest Do you ever get a piercing pain in your chest, usually on your left side under your rib, which almost feels like a bubble ready to burst?
It causes you to catch your breath, and you try not to breathe in or breathe out too much because it’s extremely painful either way. You take short, staggered breaths and try not to move. Finally, you work up the courage to take a sharp inhale or exhale. You feel a sensation similar to a bubble bursting and the pain is gone.

I came on to this post because I was experiencing this pain BAD. It was like i could only breath deep enough that my lung capacity could fit in a big straw. for me it was PCS and likely what everyone here is talking about.

theres 3 ways to fix it, as far as i know
1) wait for it to go away. This COULD take a loong time, like mine just did( hour and a half ) o.O but, its got 100% success rate

2) put a paddle pop stick between your teeth, (jks) then breath in DEEP and POP the pain away, as is recommended by wikipedia + everywhere else.....drawbacks are obvious

3) or do it the experimental way....( i only just found this one out for myself) try what i only JUST did.. lay fetal/ prayer position( like fetal position, but rolled onto your knees so its like youve gone for the epic bow), then alternate putting u shulders forward + back

if this was no conicidence, and this works everytime, then the relief is INSTANT and with no need to push past pain barriers, give it a try, if it works, spread the word

Yep, right side of chest, lower ribcage, pinpoint located stabbing sensation;
Im 32, had it for years (whole life?). Have heart issues but no asthma, quit drinking smoking awhile ago.

I am just surprised that no one has figured out for sure what this is. It seems semi common and specific to sides of body. When it occurs, it only hurts when I inhale, laugh...
Wierd.
Some doc should post an explanation/theroy or even link to possible reasons for this.
It could be worse though, as it rarely occurs, and almost always when sitting or laying down. Actually it feels similar to a running pain/cramp but more sharp and fleeting (albiet it comes back intensely again when inhaling).
Im sure I wont ever see this site again, but hope all these people posting will help narrow it down to the etiology of it.
-G7

hi %-) the pain I feel is so intense. it started since I was 16 until now that I'm 24. it causes me to breathe faster but in a shallow way. It mostly happnes when I am nervous for a long time or when I do not cry for some time. every time I wanna sit, sleep, or stand I feel a terrible pulse in my right neck(right side). I'v gone to many doctors but the answer I recieved was: it is a nerve pain. It bothers me alot. I also take some pain killers to relieve the pain but it is temporary. It really has me worried..plz help...