I had problems with skin, accompanied with losing sleep. Also my normal routine was upset because of itching. All that made me nervous and I saw there is something wrong, so I visited doctor. He told me I have neurodermatitis after he performed some skin tests and biopsy. I would like to know more about neurodermatitis and what cause it?

Neurodermatitis is also known as lichen simplex and is a chronic form of dermatitis. Chronic itching and scratching that is caused by neurodermatitis made skin to thicken and have a leather texture. There is also present and constant scratch-itch cycle with changes in nerve fibers. Scratch-itch cycle happens when a small itch causes scratching which increases the itch. Off course this will lead to more scratching, with more and more irritated skin. These results in scratching can turn into a habit that people do without thinking. Some things in your environment also can cause itching. Family history of asthma, hay fever, eczema, psoriasis or other skin problems is also sometimes presented. The most common sites of an outbreak are back, neck, arms, legs and ankles. Neurodermatits will not improve until the scratch itch cycle is broken, usually wearing bandage for a week or more.