My girlfriend and I were having sex one night and during sex, her arms and hands starting to become numb and she got the prickly "pins and needles" feeling. We were just wondering what could cause this.

I am female and have the same problem during sex and after sex for a couple of minutes. Usually It only happens if the sex is really good. I have no clue what it could be either??

I really have no freaking idea what caused it, but when i was having sex today that happened. I had the tingling in my arm for like 5 minutes, but then it went away.

I'm a girl and have the same exact problem and it gets really strange to move my fingers. it last for a couple minutes and then sort of fades away.

i have the same problem, but it was during fingering. i got scared and told his to stop. i really want to know that its normal, or at least not bad.

im a dude and i get some crazy stuff happenin during oral sex. my whole torso, arms, hands, and lower jaw will all start to tingle, like if youre foot were to fall asleep it kind of feels like that, after i bust, my hands are locked up, and i cant really talk all that well for a good few minutes, its like my lower jaw turns into putty or something. i dont think there is anything wrong with this cuz i frikkin love it. just thought id share it with you guys, mabye it can help.

You're all describing a fairly common occurrance during high levels of sexual arousal.

You'll note that almost all of you say it happens when the sex is really good.

It has been reported that some people go so far as to pass out, or go silent for minutes, unable to speak or move.
In particularly intense orgasms, some weep, or laugh, or black out.

Some of this may be due to low blood pressure, and some can be attributed to the blood supply being "funneled" to the sex organs.
In some cases, it really is pin and needles from someone laying on top of somebody's arm or "squishing" part of their partner's body enough to block off or slow the blood through an artery.

In general, I would say not to worry, if this is the only time that you experience this. Just realize that you're at extremely high levels of sexual arousal and your nervous system is being "over-stimulated".

Is it bad? Only if you find it discomforting or painful.
As long as you are in a safe environment (not driving a car or perched in a tree ) [don't laugh- people have done it!) then you probably have no problem. As long as circulation is restored, and you can "come down" and recover without ongoing aftermath (loss of coordination or permanently numb features) you'll be ok.

(Any UNEXPLAINED numbness or loss of coordination, could be the signs of a stroke, and in that case, URGENT medical care is needed. Minutes count. But that's NOT what you're describing here. You have an explainable stressor that can be removed without aftermath.)

Sometimes when he is on top and its not all that slow, I get a very intense pins and needles that usually starts in my face and goes on my chest and my arms and hands. (kind of like when your leg falls asleep)With that my fingers start to stiffen up and so does my lips - It affects my speech because my lips wont move like they are supposed to. This lasts awhile.... 5 mins or so, but at the last part of the 5 minutes it really doesnt feel right -- all the pins and needles start to fade and thats when my eyes feel like they start to shake, or its the muscles outside of my eyes then it fades quickly away.... its just very strange. it has only happened to me about 10 times in my life.
I would love to say that it is from high levels of sexual arousal, but I don't nessesarily love it, in fact I don't feel like I have gotten off or anything ....

I just had a shotting feeling in my leg during some really good sex and it kinda scared me. I got on here to try to read about it and i seen this. I agree that it must be your nervous system getting over whelmed because thats exactly what it felt like. Like i have a nerve pinched that shot tingles down my thigh. It was quite weird and the first time it has happened..i didnt like it, but it wasnt painful.I just believe it was an amazing orgasm!!

I'm a guy, and I had this for the first time the other night with my girlfriend. She gave me a blowjob, and it lasted about an hour before i came, when I came, my whole body went tingly, and i got kind of light headed. I could hardly move or talk, and the feeling lasted about 4-5 minutes after it was all over. I absolutly loved it.

Also, I've had sex with my girlfriend where she experience a simmilar feeling, and eventually ended up crying, but she didnt know why. She said that it was like her body just decided to cry without her feeling sad. This is most likely the same thing.

I got this feeling during masturbation (there was nothing on top of me blocking blood flow). Unlike the above cases, this wasn't a good orgasm (it was sub-mediocre). I was dizzy, numb and had shortness of breath as well.

Now doctors always seem to say "dont' worry, what you're feeling is normal" .... but this is why I am concerned:

When this happened it seemed like my arms, fingers, legs, feet and brain were all deprived of oxygen (this is because I couldn't move these parts of my body, and I couldn't talk or think). Now Ischemia, or more specifically, hypoxia (the loss of oxygen) can cause irreducible damage to brain cells after about 60 to 90 seconds of oxygen-loss right ??

So isn't it possible that I lost some of my brain cells ?? And just like a stroke can cause people not being able to move certain parts of their body.... maybe I lost some function (possibly subconciously... like maybe I'll have a harder time remembering the names of new friends beginning with the letter 'N') ... or maybe I'll become short-tempered with my family like Phineus Gage did.

Am I thinking in the right way ??

Also, the symptoms overlap a lot with the symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. What should I do ?? Should I lay down ?? Or should I stand up (I've heard oxygen recovery is best when standing) ??

Are there any doctors here ??

guys i got this tonight. it was the first time my boyfriend and i had sex (we've tried a couple of times before but it's never worked) and right in the middle of it i lost all feeing in both hands, it was weird. i couldn't control my thumbs - the kept bending in on themselves.
i guess he's just really GOOD

This has happened to me a few times now, mainly when the sex is really intense. It happened again last night, but it scared me, the pins and needles started in my hands and spread up my body to my head, i felt like i couldnt move, and my throat felt like it was starting to close up which really scared me, me and my man had to stop, which obviously puts a downer on it, id really like to know how to stop this from happening because its starting to put me off sex :-(

The same thing happened to me last night. Its the 3rd time it has happened. I start getting pins and needles in my hands, and a numbish feeling. And then my have to stop. And then i feel really emotional, and have to have a good cry. Its only happened when the sex is really good, and its feel like I'm building up to an orgasm, and then the pins and needles start. It really does put a downer on the whole thing. So far ihave no idea how to stop this...so any suggestion would be great.

that happens to me. my hands and arms tingle and my fingers lock up against my hands and it makes me cry every time and i never know why. i mean it does kind of scare the c**p out of me because i dont know whats going on and i am NOT enjoying it it is not usually during good sex it is when he is on top and i notices that not many other people put that it was difficult for them to breathe.. that doesnt happen to anyone else?