I have been sexually active for about three years, but have not been having regular sex for two years. every time that i have sex, i start experiancing numbness in my hands and head. it gets very extream, like feeling of falling asleep. If i have sex for very long, it can get sso bad that my hands cant move at all for like fifteen minutes, and my talking can get slurred. it is very uncomfortable. what is wrong?

I am experiencing this, and feel very uncomfortable. I don't know what it is. My face gets locked into a grimace and my fingers start feeling crooked. I have almost no control over this, and do not continue intercourse when I feel this. Do you, at least, have orgasm following this?

sudden changes in blood pressure, the way you're breathing (not realising it) causing you to hyperventilate and asphyxiate...

: )

It's called an orgasm...

-Ze Eric

this actually just happened to me! so i googled it and came up with this topic...

my face was fine, but my hands!! they went so numb -- and let me tell ya, i was scared! it got to the point where it was halfway up my forearm. i couldnt feel anything and it was all tingly... and i couldnt move my fingers out of the fist position...

plz tell me this is normal!

When me and my boyfriend mess around, my teeth and jaw feel numb, but it hasn't been so bad that I would see it as a problem ..... this happens when he's been going down on me or fingering me for a long time ... we dont have sex, so I wonder if when I do lose my virginity it could get that bad .... ? :-(

I am a 41 year old female - please post your gender, if you would. Knowing the gender helps when reading a post.

I recently received oral for the first time with a new partner. As it was happening, I could feel my hands freeze up and the area around my mouth start to tighten. I became aware of it as the orgasm was building and I was actually really scared to go all the way! Since I was in the heat of the moment, I didn't stop him. When the orgasm came, I could tell something was really wrong. Although pleasurable, I was completely distracted and slightly frightened.

Sure enough, my hands were completely frozen and numb and I also had an area of paralysis around my mouth. It was like a big oval going from just under my nose to the top of my chin. I would have thought it would be my lips, but the circle was bigger than that. I worked and worked to gain use of my hands and face again. It took easily 15 minutes for me to feel like better.

This was the strangest thing I have ever experienced with my body. I could not use my hands as they were frozen, almost paralysized. I could not talk properly. It was as if I had been to the dentist and had novacaine injestions on my face. I was slurring and suddenly completely uncomfortable trying to talk. I had been absolutely fine before.

Like many other posters, I was on my back, receiving oral. I was also laying on the floor on thin carpet, so I guess compression is possible. I hesistate to ever do this again. I don't know that I buy into hyperventilating. I sure wish I could find a medical explanation.

Thanks for sharing everyone! It helps to atleast see it in writing and know you aren't crazy!

I am a female, 35 years old.

Some facial numbness happened to my boyfriend yesterday after very stimulating oral sex - prolonged build up to the actual oral part made it especially hot, i think.

So it was good to read these posts and explain it a bit to him. Thank you for posting.

I recognized the look of his face when numb because I have experienced severe numbness in my face - my mouth became completely puckered and closed, my jaw clenched and felt locked - and

also in my hands - shriveled tight hands, thumbs and fingers rigid and pressed toward palms, looked like my grandfathers hands after his stroke. I have experienced this about 3 times and sort of on purpose as it happened during some 'Energetic Release' work that I do with a trained therapist.

Sorry if this sounds kooky to you, but this Neo-Reichian therapy is designed to access, then allow to pass thru, and eventually release unresolved emotional charge from painful experiences. It is only to be done with a professional.

I wanted to mention this here because the sensations are very similar and the access to it is a rapid breathing technique (similar to mild hyperventilation). In therapy we allow the (facial and hand numbing/clenching/trembling/coldness/nausea) sensations to come up and it is very painful but carefully facilitated. I share about this because, eventho these experiences are not the same thing - the way of getting thru the sensations is.... with the therapist what we do is to calmly breathe thru it. Relax and let pass (this may take some time - has taken me up to about 35 minutes).

I feel that this kind of thing we are posting about here can be a release of pent up energy and this can be a good sign as long as it is sensitively dealt with. I like what I read here that when this comes up with a sex partner it's best to slow things down, do something else to keep from 'overstimuation'. I think we all just need to stay calm and breathe...

Thanks again for your posts!

I've been experiencing stiffness in my hands during intercourse it originally started while my hubby and I were enjoying sex one night a little too much. I had my legs tide up to the ceiling while having an orgasm suddenly out of nowhere my right side from head to toe became very numb and almost crippled like I was having and seizure. We were both concerned... Then a few weeks later I experienced it again but this time only in both my hands, my thumbs locked up and took me a while to shake the feeling off.... I'm a bit concerned what should I think of this?

Chick.75, i'm a bit worried about your first description there as it is distinctly different to the others and sounds more like a symptom of a stroke. i think perhaps you should explain that do a doctor.

I think that one thing that a lot of you have in common is laying on your back. I could be wrong, but just try sitting up or rolling over. I think that's what my problem is too. it probably has to do with the blood flow, so simply trying a different position should help a lot.

I had several girlfriends years ago who said their face was turning numb and sometimes even their whole body, but it seemed that it was a happy - like what's happening to me, type complaint. They really didn't seem too worried about it. And recently it has happened with my wife too, which is why I decided to see what others were saying about it. The commonalities were that it usually started after their second or third orgasm of the evening, and usually after giving them oral sex. It was more like wow - this is amazing rather than the "what's happening to me?" posts above. They just went with it. The other girlfriends I had who never experienced the numbness, just really never really lasted that long in bed each time. My wife and I have had several longer sessions over the last year or so, and I have noticed it has happened a couple times now, again after a good round of oral led her to her second or third climax.

For the other poster above who had her legs tied to the ceiling and experienced numbness down one side of her body, that is definitely brain vasculature related i.e. stroke - probably mild 1st degree, and she should definitely get it checked out - even now. Anything neuro that's non bilateral along the body's axis is highly probably just that.

Female, 16.
I've been experiencing this problem for the past few months and I believe that it has to do with being on your back. It only happens for me when I have sex in the missionary position. It scared me at first but now I know its not just me.

Actually, the numbness has occurred in my hands several times and my face once or twice. Sometimes it's when I'm on my back, but it recently happened when I was sitting and then bent forward. It's a huge distraction to the orgasm. Any way to avoid it?

I'm 19 female and i get numb in my hands usually sometime my face and very rarely my thighs. The first time it happened to me i couldn't move my hands at all they went completely numb, and if it helps i was on my back at the time. is this something that fades away over time, gets worse, or just stays about the same?

18, female
The numbness in my face has happened around 3 times now, my mouth just gets locked in an "o" shape and I can't move it until a few minutes after. I'm pretty sure this has always occurred when I've been on my back. It seems like people are saying it's a blood-flow issue? Actually right now as I'm typing this I'm getting some numbness/tingling in my face (though definitely no sexual activity is happening), and iIm laying on my back leaned up against the back board of my bed. I hope someone will eventually be able to tell us what exactly is going on...