I'm staring to think that since i'm 21 yrs old a tonsillectomy won't be as painful compared to a 32 yr old, but I'm VERY VERY SCARED! I sometimes think there's no way I can do this because I've never had surgery and I've had many ear infections in my life which i heard makes the post-op process more painful. I know I don't have to do the surgery if I don't want to, but the doctor said it would be beneficiary in the long run due to the number of painful throat infections I've had. I have a friend who gets tonsillitis almost every month but refuses to go through the surgery due to fear!! She is a nurse in a hospital and would also benefit from the procedure. Her tonsils are HUGE...but fear of not knowing how painful it will be and from hearing these stories I don't know if i should go through it.... I'm starting to chicken out! ?

Hi :-) I was in the same boat as you (I am 20 and was struggling with the decision) and i got my tonsils removed on monday July 7th. Honestly, it isn't fun but it's not half as bad as people make it out to be. My major problems were:
1. The pain meds - make sure you discuss which pain medication you want with your doctor and the strength/side effects. I didn't really talk to my dr before hand and got codeine, which made me nauseous and vomit every few hours and now he wont answer his phone, so I am basically painkillerless. Also, i used a lot of painkillers at once and they wouldn't give me a refill.
2. My tongue is SO swollen. I think they use this clamp or something and my tongue has huge lumps on both sides, which kills.
3. Sleeping - During the day I am pretty much fine. The pain isn't so bad, even with just tylenol, but my throat hurts SO bad in the middle of the night. I just drink ice water right away and then feel better. Also, I only sleep a few hours at a time, which sucks. I also sleep most of the day.
Overall, I would say go for it! Chronic tonsilitis is not worth it and the pain is not SO bad, although i am hoping that by day 6, I have seen the worst.
Also, make sure you have 2 weeks off, so the summer is always a good time.
Hope it helps!

Yeah, I was going to take 10 days off but you recommend 14?? And i stil need to talk to my doc about pain meds cause i get nauseous from Vicadin so yeah i got to think of a good plan for that so i don't get nauseous. Thanks for the tips!

AngelaJean, I am not an expert on this or anything and I am 41, but I would recommend taking the 14 days off. I did not feel like going anywhere until day 14. I too was terrified beforehand and if it had not been for the fact that I had so many problems breathing due to no room in the throat, I would definitely have chickened out. My experience was not bad at all and I can not tell you how amazed I am. I have no pain tolerance at all and am a real baby about the hospital. ( I had a panic attack because I wasn't going to be asleep before I got into the OR however as it turned out it was only for a few minutes.) The nurses understand that you are afraid and they are very supportive. It is not something you cannot deal with but it is hard. Just remember if you have problems with pain or sickness, call your Dr. I took the liquid Loratab every 3 hrs and ran out two days before I could get a refill so be careful about that. I have had no bleeding at all. I have had minimal ear pain but I chewed gum from the time I got home until now. I could speak when I came out of surgery on. I could cough and clear my throat without pain. As long as you have someone to help you for the first week or so it's not so bad. My Dr. used the coblation method, it's not supposed to be as painful. I hope this helps with some of your fear. I promise I was just as afraid as you. Good luck!

Sarah, I have heard others say to use something like baby orejel to relieve the pain of your tongue. I saw that after I felt better though so I don't know for sure that it works. It does get better with time. Days 6-9 were very difficult for me. I called the Dr and the nurse said those were the worst days, that it would be pretty bad for a few days and then it would start to get better. Stay tough and you will get through it. I really feel for you. This is hard thing but you can do it.

Thanks liza :-) I will for sure try that as my tongue is the major issue right now.
I am now on day 8 and i think i hit the turning point and am starting to feel better. My throat hurts less and i only have major pain when I wake up. I only woke up twice last night! I got a regular amount of sleep for the first time in a week! I am down 9 lbs, although i have been eating more. Day 7 I noticed that cold water started to hurt and now I have moved to room temperature water and soups. I had oatmeal and won ton soup yesterday. The won ton soup was amazing on my throat.
Overall, I definitely recomment that you do it. Try to get people to hang out with you because i have been soooo lonely. The being alone is the worst part as I told all my friends not to bug me for 2 weeks because I don't like people seeing me sick. 14 days is definitely the right amount as you wont feel like going to work in the middle of the week after feeling terrible. Good luck!