used to smoke pot on a fairly regular basis through college, etc. and always had a really great time chilling out with friends and thinking through complex issues. I began having seriously scary paranoia thoughts after smoking for a long time and have since quite permanently. It never seemed to happen all the time, but on three occasions it was so severe that I felt like I was in a haze for 2-3 weeks which made it worse both times as I was extremely worried that like you I had done some type of permanent damage to my brain. It took me a good two months the last time this happened to feel like myself again so whatever the reason it can sometimes take a while to get out of your system.
I tell stories to friends all the time about how scary and crazy my thoughts were during these experiences (Having a friend shoot me and nail me to a cross one time after a party where I had decided to stay at someone else's house, Thinking I had died and was going through the gates of heaven as my friends were trying to walk me home after smoking at a girlfriends apartment in college and driving home and thinking the cops were following me then stopping at a rest stop to sleep it off and seeing a sign for a hospital and thinking I was being admitted to the psych ward. Absolutely crazy sh*t for me!
In any event, I truly do miss the days when I could smoke and mellow out with friends, but the mad crazy paranoia I seem to get once in a while when I smoke now is just not worth risking another panic attack or my sanity for a month or two.
I think the paranoia comes from the fact that pot makes you think about things in huge depth and on random planes and the human brain just starts questioning and analyzing everything, even yourself and the things that are happening to you.
If you continue to smoke, remember to ask yourself two questions before doing so:
Is my 'mindset' you are in a relaxed, confident and happy one?
Is the "setting" you are in a safe, stress free and relaxed one?
If you cannot answer 'yes' to both of these questions. I think the paranoia stems from whatever the "no's" are. In my situation, I think when I smoked through college I was always super happy with life and was always in a safe environment to smoke with friends I knew well.
I think that being away from home and knowing I had to drive even if it was the next day or being in a car where I could get caught or with people I did not know or trust all contributed to my horrible paranoia experiences.
Here's to me hoping someone makes "guaranteed paranoia-free stuff" for me some day!!!!

interesting. the same thing happend/is still happening to me. is there a cure for these paranoid thoughts. i have cut back on weed ever since my panic attack but i feel like the symtoms still persist. what do u suggest i do about this bcuz i think im all messed up now?

OMG i went through this too! I used to love smoking some wacko tobacco now & then growing up and even though i preferred to do it at home VS riding around town or being in public,it got far worse than that later on in my late 30's and after 40,im 43 now and I kid you not,in all seriousness,i CANNOT handle it anymore! It is literally a awful frightening experience that i regretted beyond words! And its only a couple tokes of good old weed,NOT crystal meth haha! I mean,i feel like them meth heads do from what i hear,hell no! lol. Just 2 or 3 tokes and im feeling pretty heavy and kinda stoned but it creeps up a lil while later and then my heart beats so fast and at times i couldnt breathe and id panic!!! The ONLY thing i seemed to freak about was having a heart attack! Now,i have never ever heard of anyone getting killed by smoking just a teeny bit of pot nor did i hear of heart attacks! It happens to be the most safe & reliable drug out there in many ways,but wth am I freaking out and having that reaction,is beyond me and id REALLY like to know! I have bad nerves,issues with pain and sleep issues,it sure would be nice to be able to do it once in awhile.But im too scared,nobody understands or believes me,mind you im a lightweight to begin with! If it wouldnt do that to me,i may even try to get a legalized marijuana card and see what the doc thinks. I dont remember it making me feel like this back in my younger days,but then i also didnt have as much to worry about either lol. Im 43 now,i fear health problems and i have a few kids and my financial situation is a mess thanks to my husband. I am always constantly worried about things,i never relax and i admit that im likely gonna kill myself with the anxiety and stress i have and how much i fret. Being a woman,thats what we do but it sure would be nice to smoke one and relieve that c**p vs feel worse! Anyways,i do wonder,is it the pot thats going around today vs the stuff in the 80's and 90's? or is it our aging and stress we become haunted with? or is it a health condition thats never been quite discovered yet? Thought about asking the doc but im afraid to just say "ehy doc,can you help me figure out why i cant handle pot anymore,because id really like to smoke some" lmao I guess it all depends on the kind of doc you got,if hes a uptight guy,chances are you will regret it and if hes a pretty cool dude,then im sure he may be somewhat willing to help figure it out. I know 1 thing,it sure beats resorting to pain pills or anything else that you become so physically and mentally dependent on,thats the worst! Been there and done that,it was a awful road i went down and ill never look back at that again,which brings me to also wonder how im this way when i had the tolerance to take 20+ pain pills a day and even some of that DEMONIC street opiate c**p! So why cant i handle a lil weed? Idk,after all the weird c**p going around these days,maybe im too afraid to even try again now anyways,what if it ends up laced with something?
I doubt it where i live and those i know being older and all but still,it has to come from somewhere in the beginning and who knows who! Anyways,im glad to know it is not just me and you sound just like me! Think there may be a few more of us out there,we just didnt know! Wishing you all the luck and good times in he future ;)