My father complains about some strange sensation in hands and arms. He said sensations he feels happens without any warning. He explained it to me as painless, feels like tingling or numbness and kind of itching. I was talking to out neighbor and she told me her brother had similar symptoms. I think he was diagnosed with parestheisa, so I want to know what that is.

Most people have experienced temporary paresthesia. That is feeling of pins and needles occur in some time of people’s lives when they have sat with legs crossed for too long. Also it might occur when someone fall asleep with an arm crooked under their head. The reason is because sustained pressure is placed on a nerve. This feeling quickly goes away once the pressure is relieved. When those sensations are chronic, it is often a symptom of an underlying neurological disease or traumatic nerve damage. Paresthesia might be caused by disorders affecting the central nervous system, such as stroke and transient ischemic attacks. Diagnostic evaluation is based on determining underlying condition causing those paresthetic sensations. Physicians may order additional tests depending on the suspected cause. Appropriate treatment for paresthesia depends on accurate diagnosis of underlying cause.