This post is an extension of the

Perineal/Anal Irritation, burning, itching, mostly after a bowel movement thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I'm having the same issue, I have a colonoscopy scheduled for next week. I've tried all the remedies and diet changes as everyone else. Here's what I just thought of. About a year and a half ago I started drinking water from britta filters. The pictures that have the filters you insert in them. I wonder if something from the filter is messing with the lining of my stomach.

Anyone else having this issue use britta water filters?

After reading all these posts, I decided to write my story...

I am a 37 yo female who first started with anal/rectal burning after a bowel movement 9 months ago. At first the burning lasted a shorter time (ie: minutes to hours), but has progressively gotten longer to the tune of 6-8 hours after a BM. I had a long run of diarrhea when it started and first dismissed all symtoms to travel, as I had recently gotten back from Canada. After 2 months of diarrhea and burning, I decided to go to a doctor. After the exam, she could find nothing wrong - no hemmorhoids, no fissures, nothing abnormal. The stool studies came out fine as well. So she ordered me to have a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy found eosinophils in my ileum, but nothing else. And supposedly the most common cause of that is a food allergy. So, I went for food allergy testing. Both the prick and patch testing were negative. In the mean time, during all this I had tried: preparation H, witch hazel, corticosteroid suppositories, a run of Predisone steroids orally, increased fiber, niphedipine salve, myrrh salve, lidocaine jelly - all with no relief from the burning and occasional itching. There is a hard ridge around my anus now (which wasn't there 9 months ago), most prominent on the perineal side. My doctor offered me narcotics for pain relief...well...A. I do not want to become constipated and feel the wrath of what that might do...and B. I do not want to cover up the fact that THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG!

So, I have an appointment to see a Colorectal surgeon and am also trying to get in to see a Gastroenterologist. I have an active lifestyle, am not overweight, I eat a healthy diet, and I am sick of this constant pain and discomfort. It is affecting all aspects of my life!

After years of suffering with this condition also, and trying almost everything mentioned here, no solution was found.

I now notice that every 2-3 months or so, I have a large amount of leaky white-clear mucus come out in large amounts, when I poop, which actually smells similar to a yeast infection. This indicates a parasite of some form that causes a secondary yeast infection in the intestine. I even comsume large amounts of beneficial yogurt, but that doesn't help.

The only help I have found is using vaseline all over the anus and pernium, I suspect an intestinal parasite, even tho my doctors say thats not it. I tried pinworm medication, no help or change..

I think whats happening is some parasite is coming out of the anus, and depositing eggs on the outside, on the anus, and pernium, because since I have been using vaseline, (in large amounts, every 12 hours) the symptoms have been slowly going away. And every so often I feel a pinch, or itching, or as if something is moving around the anus, but since I have been using the vaseline, its more often indicating that the parasite cannot deposit its eggs properly anymore due to the slick surface.

I think what MOST of the people who post here have is some kind of intestinal parasite that deposits its eggs on the outer skin.

BUT NOT PINWORMS, something else.
(or this is a new kind of pinworm that is immune to modern medicine.)

Again, my symptoms indicate pinworms, but after taking the medication, twice in 2 weeks, and not seeing an improvement, I suspect that a new pinworm that is immune to the medicine we all use, is what this is all about, or another parasite that ALSO DEPOSITS ITS EGGS ON THE OUTER SKIN.

If anyone knows of a parasite that follows the same symptoms of pinworms ,
(deposits its eggs outside, on the anus and pernium, and those deposits cause itching irritation, please post here)

Personally I suspect a form of pinworm that is immune to modern medicine.

My advice to all of you is try using vaseline, washing everything, frequently, and re-applying the vaseline, never go a second without a thick layer of vaseline all over the anus and pernieum.

The parasite causes a yeast infection of the intestine, and both the parasite and yeast infection irritate the anus and pernium.

The vaseline seems to prevent the parasite from doing what its trying to do, and also the vaseline seems to stop the yeast from causing a secondary skin infection.

Hopefully this helps others, at least until our doctors wise up and start actually finding whats wrong with us, instead of blaming something else.

Like I said, I suspect a parasite, similar to pinworms, if not pinworms that are immune to our modern medications.

Hello all,
I posted here sometime ago (in the previous thread) because these symptoms were similar to what I have experienced for the past two years, on and off. I too have a healthy diet, healthy weight, etc. and have seen several doctors. I test positive for HSV II antibodies (herpes) but have never had an outbreak, so for a long time I thought maybe this was my body's weird way of having an outbreak, but all the doctors I have seen say that it doesn't look like a herpes breakout. I have tried valtrex, and it doesn't alleviate the symptoms, so I have to agree. What happens with me is a slight itching around the anus, then the lower part of the vagina and perinum, with eventual itching and burning intensifying in an area in that region, almost feeling like a split in the skin (which could happen if the skin is irritated and I am itching at night, whichh I don't think I do but is possible). The perineal area also gets swollen and irritated. I never see any blood or discharge, and there is no visible wound or sore there. The first time I saw a doctor about it she gave me diflucan, and that seemed to help. After reading all these responses, I thought the culprit might be yeast again, and I got something called "Yeast Gaurd", a homeopathic remedy for yeast infections. Now, I usually do not buy into the homeopathic thing, but this product specifcally mentioned two of the yeasts mentioned in this thread, and I tried it. It seems to have completely eliminated the symptoms I was experiencing. I applied a small amount to the anal/perineal area 3 times yesterday, and today I feel nothing down there! No itch, no burn, nothing (I'm not numb, I just mean the symptoms are gone)! I don't know if this applies to everyone, but you might try it--I was convinced I was having some weird complications from herpes, but now I believe it was some kind of fungal problem, and this stuff really helped--I even had a prescription anti-fungal I had tried at one point and this worked way better--so far, so good. I am so relieved, especially since this suggests an etiology for this thing and I'm not just relieving symptoms. Best of luck to everyone, this stuff is hard to talk about and even harder to deal with.

I'm a guy and have the same thing everyone is describing. I've had it for a few years now and have just learned to live with it.

I don't remember having the itchy taint when I lived at home using my parents built in water filter. But ever since I moved out I've used Britta water filters.

Someone mentioned this previously on the thread and just thought I'd show some support because no one is even close to finding a reason for the discomfort.

The best solution and the permenant cure for rectum itching or pains I have found is thoroughly cleaning after each dumping. And when you clean yourself, stick your finger a little inside your rectum each time of cleaning to clean the rim of the anuse from inside. Blieve me, this was the only cure I found, no midicine or other thereby needed.

I could not believe so many people are suffering with this problem. I started with a fungal issue, have been to the dermatologist at least 10 times since January of 2009. The rash on my buttox spread to inside the gluts. I am almost cleared up except for the area just outside the glut area. I put cream on it every day.

The problem now I am facing is the itching,burning area in the rectal and perineum area. I do have hemorrhoids on the outside and I suspect inside. I have a Dr.s appt next week with the Rectal surgeon for that issue. I itch every day, all day, rather I have a BM or not. This also went to the area just inside of the vagina. I am using the Monostat cream for that area and it seems to help. There has been no relief for the other two areas. I am hoping to use some of the suggestion on this thread. Here are some I picked up from others.

ibprofin Gel
Thyers Original Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
Loprox (prescription) and Viiola
Nupercanial Cream
Fish Oil for softer stool
Vasaline for use in anal area. Thick layer
Yeast Guard

Thank you all for sharing such a personal problem. Glad to know I am not alone. I do not wish this on anyone. Good luck to all of you and I will let you know what my Dr. says. They can send a man to the moon but can't cure this very annoying and chronic condition.

37 yr. old male here. Always felt like I was the only one that had this problem. I have personally found that the burning/itching gets worse when I have a BM at a hotel or at work and have to use the sand paper toilet paper. At home I use Charmin and the itching tends to go away. Seams like the cheap toilet gets the itchy rash started and then it spreads up to the groin area.

I have also found that Boudreaux's Butt Paste tends to work well. I'm not sure what the difference is, but it just seems to knock the burning out in one or two applications as opposed to the Desitin or hyro-cortisone creams do. Has anyone else tried this??

Wow.....I feel so mush better after reading Part I and II of this post. I have been suffering with this irritation for quite some time (not so much the itching though). I really believe that my discomfort is aggravated or even started with sitting and pressure to the area. I now sit on pillows to relieve pressure. I hope someone finds out soon what this is.

I had symptoms similar to many folks in this long, long, thread.

In my case the cause was almost certainly my beloved Cottonelle moist wipes. I'd been using them for years -- and most frequently when itching and irritation were at their worst. Once it occurred to me that they might actually be making things worse I cut out using them cold turkey and my symptoms went away within a week.

I realize this may not be the solution for everyone, but definitely consider wipes and similar chemical-laden products as a cause.

I'm now looking for an alternative wipe that won't cause the same problems since regular toilet paper is a poor substitute for the moist wipes. Any suggestions?

I'm 44 and have never had a problem with my as****e until last year. It started with itching that I couldn't relieve and after doing some online research, I found that I was doing everything wrong. I finally found desitin relieved the discomfort which I use religiously but this last weekend, the discomfort came on with full force. I don't know why but it's finally subsiding again. What causes this. It's so freaking annoying.

I also have been using cottonelle's wet wipes for more than 3 years now. But for the past 9 months I have had excruciating perineal and anal pain, burning, itching, bleeding, and of course crying. I've been to gastroenterologists and had colonoscopies, and have been cleared from Crohn's or Colitis. I do have hemorrhoids. But I am suspecting that I've developed a reaction or soreness from cottonelle's wipes. I haven't quit cold turkey but I would have to find a substitute first. I might as well start trying my baby's pampers wipes. But my point is that I believe we are on to something by suspecting the culprit to be Cottonelle's wet wipes.

I've experienced similar complications with Cottonelle wipes. I didn't realize it until now, but I began using the wipes earlier this week for the first time in years, and my hemmoroids have been excruciating (swelling, bleeding, painful BMs). I will never use them again!

I think that I may be able to help some of you as I suffered terribly with an itchy and raw perineum for years. I could have taken a wire brush to my crotch most days! For years I tried remedies for everything from yeast and bladder infections to only taking showers, trying different underwear and everything in between to absolutely no avail. During this time I had several visits to the doctor. The doctor never found anything unusual during visual or gynecological examinations. I would scratch and scratch and I found that after I had a scratching episode the area was extremely raw and seem to not heal as quickly as it should. It would be painful and sting like it was cut wide open during urination and from wiping. I also found that during sex the area would become inflamed and burn or sting and feel raw. The only thing that I could tell was a little different from normal was that the perineum skin felt slightly tougher than it seemed to be normally.
During a visit to the doctor we were discussing options as to what could be done and he said that a biopsy of the area could be done and see if there anything abnormal happening in the area. Of course I agreed. The procedure was slightly painful. A small "plug" of skin was removed from my perineum and one stitch to close the area up. Although an uncomfortable and not completely painless procedure, it was an extremely small price to pay for an attempt at relief!
The results of my biopsy determined that I have Lichen Simplex Chronicus. I now have relief! I have been able to very easily treat the area with very few applications of clobetasol. I very rarely have flare-ups. If I do it seems to stem from using a different brand of toilet paper or from using a perfumed or harsh soaps or body washes. I have found the best soap to use is one that is very close to the PH of skin such as a goats milk soap. Do not use douches or feminine wipes or sprays as these types of things will only irritate the area. I hope that some of you may be able to be helped as I know what kind of discomfort you are having! Talk to your doctor and ask about having a biopsy of the area done, I'm very glad that I did! :-D