Hi, I have been experiencing strange plaques, redness and irritation on my arms and legs. When I went to dermatologist, after a biopsy I was diagnosed with porokeratosis. What is this disorder like?

Porokeratosis is a disorder leading to inappropriate formation of skin. There are 4 types of this disease characterized by a single or few plaques with a central depression and a marginated border. Numerous lesions may appear on the patient’s body. Skin biopsy is required for making a diagnose. Cytotoxic drugs are used for treatment like 5-fluorouracil. Some practitioners also suggest criopsy therapy. Disseminated superficial actinic porokeratosis among oher types can induce a condition that leads to reddish brown scaly spots. Sun damage may provoke some pre-cancerous skin cells to appear. But, generally it is not a serious condition.