i do not track my ovulation but i usually get signs that let me know i am ovulating. in february, i fooled around with my boyfriend 3 days after i thought i had ovulated. there was no penetrative sex, just fingering. however, i do fear that he may have touched himself whilst we were fooling around and thus introduced sperm to my vagina. anyway, 2 weeks after my supposed day of ovulation i had my period. it was lighter than normal (i usually empty my cup every 2-3 hours, this time i was emptying every 5-6 hours) and it lasted 3 not 4 days. my doctor said my flow was lighter because i had just finished taking a week long course of prednisone, a steroid. I took a home pregnancy test when my period began, it was negative. 2 weeks after my period i seemed to ovulate and 2 weeks later again i got my period. it was still lighter than normal, emptying my cup every 5-6hours versus my usual 2-3 hours. i took 2 home pregnancy tests just prior to the beginning of this period, they were both negative. if i did conceive in February, i would be around 9 weeks 2 days pregnant. right now i am due to ovulate and i decided to test again for pregnancy. i bought 2 no name brand test strips and i got faint lines on both. i then went to the hospital for a qualitative blood test, and the result was negative. my question is, could i be pregnant, or the lines i saw on the test strips are just evaporation lines? i have no signs of pregnancy what so ever.

Hi Choc,

It's unlikely that the blood test would be inaccurate at 9 weeks.  "No Name" brand test strips can be inaccurate.  You also have been having regular, but different, periods and say that you have "no signs of pregnancy what so ever."

It's unlikely you are pregnant.

There are NO guarantees you'd get pregnant even if you did have sex. 

Hope it helps.

Thank you, that was very helpful. Just to add on, I took another home urine test after the blood test, this time a branded one, and it was negative. My cycle also seems to be on track. So guess I am not pregnant.

To add, you said you fooled around with your boyfriend 3 days after you ovulated. The egg is only viable for about 48 hours, max, after ovulation. It would have been too late to fertilize.

I don't think you're pregnant.