I agree. I'm 6 months quit and don't feel like going back as a result of going on Chantix. It's definitely not changing one drug for another as the previous ignorant poster said. It's not a methadone for nicotine.

I quit a month ago, and just had one last night. Ugh. As far as the suggestions that it is all about willpower, I have to say-I was doing fine on willpower and then I had a crappy series of events and I smoked. For me, a glass of wine or valium are not options. I am an alcoholic and I haven't had a drink or drug in over a year. I need to be in the mindset to keep with it, but I also need support from those who are trying to get through it as well. I did not want to use Chantix. I used the patch for a couple of days but I felt crazy. I smoked about a pack a day and the search for release is tough to quit. I plan to pick myself up and dust myself off from this slip and keep on with it. If I can stop drinking, I can stop smoking.

I also wonder if the "Mind over Matter" poster was ever a smoker or addicted to anything. Quitting is a difficult thing that alters your moods and emotions. I can want to quit, but everyday I am put to the test. Mostly, I get through it by talking about it. To all those quitting, keep it up! I need to know others are out there doing it too!

Despite our wonderful world filled with medicine and aids to override a situation or to get us/you off another medication, or just to try to kick a habbit, some of us actually are just trading for another habit or something of the sort be it short term or long term. I am not putting anyone down for trying to use a medicine type substance to (trying) quitting smoking. I realize a vast majority of people need help to give up a dirty,nasty, addicting habbit of all sorts. Meetings, therapy,gums,patches, medicines and friends wont be there at one moment or another. WE NEED TO FIND AND HANG ON TO OUR OWN WILLPOWER. We cant buy, borrow, find or have some one give it to us or even really have anyone deeply help us with it. What happens when our crutch is not around or not accessible? Then what? Thats where our willpower fills that void. So why not find our willpower to want to live longer, happier, healthier lives and grow old with our family and friends. We only have one life to live on this wierd earth filled with so many hangups that will kill us or make us sick before our time. Despite how the world actually is I think it is worth living. I cant get in depth with it but please trust me, if your not going directly to heaven or whatever your religion believes, you will be in a kind of hell on earth regreting whatever kept you there. I tried quitting a couple times in the past year with nicotene and smokers aids. They only helped temporarily. I apparently didnt have the actual 100% willpower. We all have it just pray or whatever to find it. I quit 100% over a week ago. I know it dont sound like anything but I made up my mind 100%. It took a day or two, but I didnt have any actual craving for a cigarette. Most of the guys in my shop smoke regularly, and I can honestly say when I smell or see it I just simply dont want a smelly cigarette. I understand how some may have to use or want some kind of anti depression medicine or whatever because I have been quite nervous shaky and a little frustrated. And there my friends is when you dont look back just grab on to whatever willpower we have and DONT LET GO!!!!!
I hope some of this helps someone at least one person, and my words will not have been written in vane. Please keep me in your prayers if you do. And I promise to keep all in mine. God Bless.

P.S. The song Disturbia by rihanna is cool we all live in disturbia in one way or another. :)

don't get mad at the person who said WILLPOWER!!!

I am on quit session number 7or 8 or 9... Can't remember.

I quit smoking weed, and that was almost too easy...
I quit drinking and that was a bit harder, well much harder...
I have tried and tried to quit smoking... I can't understand how it is harder to quit than anything else I have ever done...

BUT I am doing it now because I made a choice. Once you make a choice 100%, which I have recently discovered, you can't go back...
You won't let yourself go back. It's a 100% choice no looking back, no tempting yourself. Cravings come but cravings go as well.

I have at least 3 different people at work offering me cigarettes everyday, multiple times per day because I am so damn tired and look like sh*t haha... But the answer is no I don't smoke. I just don't that's it end of story. If I get stressed the f**k out, then I just have to be stressed the f**k out.

I now know that I have in the past used many many ways to get out of stress or bad moods or bad thoughts or girl problems or whatever. I now know that It is REAL to deal with these things on my own. This is how I grow.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO

f**k you cigs! haha...

I have to say though, I almost can't function at the moment... Sooo Tired, my brain isn't even working right. It's hard to work at my job. I am hallucinating a little even. One weird thing is I have TOO much oxygen and it makes me feel sort of energized and trippy and DIZZY, haha.

In the end though I will learn to deal with this and the nicotine will leave me.

And besides if I can prove this willpower of mine to myself, then I can reuse it in any way I want changing sh*t around me and in me the way I want it and not giving up on anything.

In all seriousness I will take some suffering now, to not have cancer later.

I'm glad I found this forum. My last smoke was about 2 weeks ago. The First week was fine, but the last 4,5 days or so I've been having all the symtoms of the first poster on this thread: "sticky" throat pain, some chest pain, burning sensation in the chest area, burping a lot, feel like to throw up, anxiety, lightheaded ... by the way, I quit cold turkey, without any drugs at all. Just wonder how long these symtoms will last (and hope that they are not some real problems that I have) I had been smoking for 20+ yrs, about a pack a day.

For those reading this looking for ideas on quitting, I would just like to mention my time with Chantix.

I was a 2 pack a day smoker for about 25 years. I probably tried quitting 25 times too. My biggest problem (a problem no non-smoker could ever understand) was that the cravings were a around the clock siege on my willpower. It isn't like when you diet and you get an urge to eat a cupcake because those cravings eventually pass. When I would quit smoking, the urge would start about a half hour after I quit and would continue non-stop until I finally succumbed. It wasn't so much a lack of willpower, but that all willpower has its limits.

My doctor prescribed my Chantix and it solved my "biggest problem". It does not completely get rid of cravings, but it does give you breaks where all of a sudden 2 hours have gone by and you realize you had not even thought of a cigarette even once! These little "lapses" were just what my willpower needed to recover.

As for the side effects. As anyone who has ever quit smoking before can tell you, 98% of the side effects described happen when you quit cold turkey anyway. Personally I think the drug takes away most of the physical side effects that all that is left are some of the mental ones and people mistake those as a side effect of the medicine, rather than nicotine withdrawal.

I have a history of anxiety disorders and was a bit nervous about this pill when reading the side effects, but I can tell you as far as it went for me, it was not even an issue.

drink green tea. it helps with anxiety. i drink about 3-4 cups a day - caffeine free. i put two tea bags in each cup.

ive been smoking since i was 18. I am 25 now and I quit cold turkey. Its been a week, Im good. I will warn everyone out there, take Xanax, Klonopin, Valium will not help your situation but make it worst. Try getting of those meds once your hooked. Your going to wish you were still smoking.

I have been smoking for about 19 years. I have just recently quit. My doctor gave me many options in helping me do so such as chantix, the patch, gum etc. I have heard many people on here say "Will Power" but what many people who have never had to quit don't understand is that even with the help of a quit smoking cessation, you still need will power. And the point of the drugs is not to give up one addiction for another, all these drugs are designed to start you off heavy to make you quit smoking (the thing that will kill you) and then you slowly lower your dose and work your way off the drug.
I have been on the patch for 2 weeks now. I only used the Step 3 21mg patch for one week even though it says to use it longer. I felt I would be ok on the Step 2, which I am. The problem with the patch is that is delivers a steady supply of nicotine to your body, but that is not what you are used to. When you smoke your nicotine levels go up and down, they don't stay steady. So while on the patch, though it lessens the desire to smoke, you will still get urges. Some people will stick with their "Will Power" to get over these urges, I however have found one of the most worderfull little things in the world, it is a nicotine inhaler. It suggests using it an insane amount however I just take a few little puffs off it when I get really bad urges and it immediately gives you that extra boost of nicotine. Again, the point is to gradually cut down as you go. If anything, this would be the method I would recommend. I know people have had great success with Chantix, but people have also killed themselves while on it. Someone on here said that the people on Chantix that had bed mental side effects were probably just feeling the effects of quitting, but that is not the case. This drug can be very very dangerous. If you have had any past depression or mental illness it is foolish that your doctor would ever let you use this.
Again to all the people out there that say you should have a little will power, I would rather be accused of not having will power and manage to quit something that is going to kill me then to pretend I can do it on my own and end up dying of cancer as I realize my will power didn't really get me anywhere. Stats say that people who try to quit cold turkey are more likely to start smoking again in the future and less likely to actually manage to quit in the first place. So to all you people screaming will power, good luck to ya, I will see you posting on here talking about your 30th attempt at quitting years from now when I am fully quit and my body is healed.

I have been a smoker for 10 yrs. Started at age 15 and 2 weeks ago quit at 25. I started with a 1/2 a pill of chantix once a day for 3 days, then 1/2 pill of chantix twice a day for 4 days, then full pill twice a day w/no smoking at all. Chantix made me nauseated with every drag I took on a cigarette until it was intollerable. Unfortunately also made me nauseas after everything I ate. I stopped taking chantix about 3 days of being on the 2 full pills a day. Nicotine and the withdrawal feeling should be out of your system 24-48hrs after your last drag of a cigarette (assuming you're not around 2nd hand smoke). I'd only recommend chantix if you're unable to quit cold turkey or just as a starter to get through the first 24-48hrs. The side-effects were terrible but I'm smoke free with no cravings.

Everything is God given friend for us to live happily.

They say "A peg a day keeps the doctor away". But do we humans(Most) stop with a peg??We abuse them and hence get our 'body' (Esp liver) abused.

Same with smoking tobbaco, cannabis or marjuana. In Hindu mythology Cannabis was used by God Shiva. "A drag a day" helps our 'mind' and in my case(almost 20 years) did activate my RIGHT brain to a great extent. Whenever I abused it, I landed in situations.

As our friend opined " It's all in our mind" and hence everything is under our control only. Yes, I need to calm my mind now as it's behaving like a super fast train, with so many irrelevant thoughts, some very useful some not. Have decided to try Homeopathy medicines(Which has no side effects unlike allopathy - I took those tabs and after a week, felt like I'm losing my wonderful libido! So threw the tabs over the window! )

I've been a heavy smoker for about 5 years, 2-3 packs a day. It also doesn't help that I'm a full-time bartender in a smoking bar, but I've made up my mind to quit. I haven't had a cigarette in about a month and yet I crave it every min/hour/day still. It's a tough battle!

The first week after quitting I had these horrible coughs...I literally felt like I was going to cough to death. They weren't just normal coughs, they were such heavy coughs I seriously thought I could taste blood down my throat.

The second week I started having some issues where I could feel my lungs burning!! Like they were lit on fire!! The sensation was almost unbearable, it also made me hack up some yucky stuff.

After the third week everything's pretty much gone, only once in a while will I have some coughs here and there or feel some burn sensations...nothing as bad as the first two weeks.

Now the fourth week, I feel great! I'm also back in the gym working out! I've gotta say, it's great to be a non-smoker again! It only takes willpower!! No more of that smoke stench on my clothes, car, home, breath. I can taste food/drinks everything much better!! Even the AIR tastes much sweeter!! Good luck to you all!!

I think it is different for everyone. Everyone that has smoked has tried to quit. To get the courage to do it again you may need to try something else. I was a 1 pack a day guy for the last 15 years. I've quit for the last three weeks but have used everything thing in the book to do it. From chantix to gum a little valium with even some cold turkey on the side. (not all of them at the same time of course) So I say pick something to help you quit and if it doesn't work try something else right away. I've noticed that when I get those bad chest pains and anxiety if I just take 10 deep breaths and it gets better. Kind of like taking a couple of drags from a smoke. good luck to everyone.

I had been a smoker for 8 years. Its been a year since I quit smoking. Now I am living a healthy life.
I did try to quit smoking a number of times, but didn't succeed. One can't ignore his best friend. One has to realize that his best friend(cigarette) is his worst enemy. Once u can realize this, u can control your emotions, and quit smoking. Its not easy, but its possible.

When I quit smoking, i never thought of side effects. I did suffer from headache, sour throat, throat ache body ache & a bleeding nose. I don't know whether all these were side effects or just coincidence.But I did suffer for at least 2 months. but I never went to a doctor, as i didn't want to take medicine to control nicotine as this itself is a drug & I didn't want to get addicted to something else to quit smoking.

Things are not same for everybody. People could suffer from side effects where they have to visit a doctor. i would suggest to visit a doctor, but try to stay away from medicine. Have juice, have a balanced diet. and last but not the least, STAY HEALTHY!! :-P

I have been using Champix for the past 3 weeks, and for anyone who says "you don't need a drug to quit a drug" is full of sh*t. YOU don't know what I need to get over smoking. This is the first time I have ever quit over the past 13 years that I have been smoking and it is very easy with the help of champix. I don't crave a cigarette at all. I'm sure people who have quit 'cold turkey' can't say the same thing. Whatever works for you, you should do. If it happens to be the patch or medication or gum, who are you to say that it is wrong or "not needed"? I figure that if you quit then any treatments that will help you succeed is better then dying of cancer.

Btw, Champix never gave me any side effects and I haven't turned to food for cravings....BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ANY!!!

Good luck to everyone who is trying to quit!

Cheers!