Hi, I read and hear all the time about people getting mugged. The robbers do not even hesitate to “work” during the broad day light. Because of this, I have decided to start training karate as a mean of self defense. The training also involves weapons. Do you think that self defense should be done with weapons?

Hi, I know what you are talking about. I think that it is awful that you can not go out and just mind your own business because of the fear for your own safety. Unfortunately, as you said it yourself, we hear about these things all the time. One of the things that one can do in order to protect himself is the thing that you have done. Training self defense can save your life. Also, training martial art, in your case karate, improves the health of the body. However, I do not approve the use of weapons in self defense. Even dough it sounds like a reasonable thing to use when feared, one must maintain stability. That is what self defense teaches you also, beside the ways to disable the attacker. However, there are cases in which the use of the weapons can be justified. Such is when a person uses weapons in self defense when it is obvious that an attacker is jeopardizing that person's life. Anyway, this is a complex topic and needs a professional clarification.