In 1985 I found that I had developed severe pain in both wrists, the point of pain being directly below the thumb at the wrist itself, deep inside. The cause of the pain was putting the wrist in extension, such as carrying shopping bags, bucket of water etc..

When visiting Quacks with other problems I would mention the wrists but no advise or diagnosis was given until this last month. I was seeing a doctor about my spinal stenosis when I mentioned the wrist pain. He immediately asked if it was in both wrists and when I told him that it was he said that it is an extrenely rare problem called Wartenberg Syndrome. If you google this it explains that a part of the nerve gets trapped in the joint. He said that some surgeons have operated with limited success, but it is best to live with it and just try and not to lift heavy items.