I would appreciate any ideas for this!

I have been dealing with this from the time I was 12 years old... I am a 22 female now so this has been an ongoing problem for 10 years.

Often times (not EVERY single time, but very often) if I eat or drink anything, including just water, and then walk or stand afterwards, I get a pain in my lower to central stomach area. The pain begins as sort of dull- fairly easy to ignore. The more I walk or stand, the more painful it gets. It feels as if my stomach is tightening. The pain is almost immediately relieved by sitting down and resting. The pain can get so bad that it can make me feel nauseated. Sometimes, even just sitting around I have a very tiny amount of pain or nausea- but its so minor in comparison that i don't really notice it anymore. It's more like a looming warning that I'm not ready to move around yet.

I do not have to engage in hard activity for it to bother me. For instance, today I went to a museum, had a light lunch, and then walked casually through the museum. The pain got so intense that I had to periodically sit and rest for a few minutes, in order to keep myself from getting ill. The pain begins about 20 minutes after eating or so, and, if I were to keep walking without rest, it would probably escalate to the point of vomitting. However, I have only vomited once due to the pain, since sitting down seems to "cure" it. It will hurt up to two or three hours after I eat. I have bouts of diarreah and constipation pretty much all the time. I may not use the restroom for several days at a time, and then suddenly go many times in a short few days.

In general, I am a healthy person. I am not overweight and despite my pain, i lead a fairly active life. If I do not eat, I can easily go on a several mile hike with no problems. I do not feel any difference between eating spicey foods or bland foods, and even just drinking water and simply standing up can make me feel very ill. Cutting out dairy products and avoiding meat products does not seem to affect anything. No blood or mucus in my fecal matter. No odd colors or particularly foul smelling.

I have pretty much come to expect the pain to happen, so I have made adjustments in my life to deal with this, like eating several hours before any physical activity, or holding out until after activity. I just really want to know if anyone knows if this sounds familiar or if anyone has any ideas.

I do not have any insurance so it makes it pretty much impossible for me to visit a gastroentrologist unless I have some good idea as to what he should check for. When I was around 15 years old, I had an ultrasound done on my stomach, which only revealed that I was constipated. Because I don't have insurance, we pretty much just gave up at that point.

Any ideas of any diseases or ailments to research would be so wonderful. Thank you so much.

Just read your post, your problems seem pretty similar to mine, mine began at 15 and 6 years on they are still going strong.

I saw the doctor and a gastro consultant and was sent for tests including a barium meal which was inconclusive. So they diagnosed me with IBS, this seems to be the thing they blame if they cant find anything else. I dont have frequent bouts of diarhoea and constipation but after eating or even drinking water i cant do a thing but sit down for about an hour. Often the pain is so bad it makes i get boiling hot and start to sweat with pain.

I realised that dairy products seemed to cause me more pain as well as gluten, so i havnt eaten those in 5 years, spicy food is a no no for me too. I have had accupuncture which made no difference, seen dieticians, again no improvement, herbalists helped to a point. Eventually when i stopped eating altogether i was put on a nutrient powder that i had to drink twice a day instead of eating.

I wish i had an answer for you, im now doing a medical degree partly in the hope that i will someday diagnose myself! So far i have considered the following may be the cause of these symptoms:

Gallbladder disease (if you have belching as well) gallstones can cause abdominal pain but often the pain will move round to the shoulder bloade area, a parasite residing in the duodenum area, inflammation of part of the digestive tract (maybe ileum area), possibly a stomach ulcer (especially if you have acid reflux), there are others i have ruled out for myself and would rule for you as we're young and have lived with this for years, such as stomach cancer. There are so many other possibilities such as poor blood supply to the digestive system (more common in smokers less so in young healthy ppl), or a defective lining somewhere along the tract with damaged villi in the intestines. It is quite possible that if you are not absorbing your food properly so you could be deficient in certain nutrients and vitamins, in particular selenium deficiencies and the B vitamins can cause even more problems, i now take a strong multivitamin supplement.

I think food does play a part in it, i personally cannot have anything alcoholic nor do i have fizzy drinks, water seems to be best, you may have an intolerance less common than lactose so you could try and get tested for these, i have heard of ppl with garlic intolerances and i know somebody who cannot eat basil so it could be anything! Eating small amounts but often seems to help me, a big meal is a disaster in my case. Eat and sip drinks slowly as well. I have heard of people who cover up theirtheir symptoms by taking over the counter medication. Personally i avoid taking these things too often as i feel long term overuse could have adverse effects.

Hope you get some better answers soon

Thank goodness, I found another me! Your story is just nearly mine. I thought that I was crazy for thinking that standing or walking had something to do with my bloating and pain. There are days that I think that sitting starts me hurting too. If I don't let the pain get too bad before I lay down, then, the laying down seems to ease or stop the pain. If I wait too long to lay down, then it will take a lot longer time. The one difference is that mine hurts in my lower back too. Days that I am on my feet and trying to do things are my worst. I liken my pain to the bad pain that I use to have in my periods. And yes it will nauseate me. The last 2 days, I have stayed off my feet and have had a lot less pain. I do not eat lactose. I do feel like sometimes that I am blown up with gas, but cannot lose it. Out shopping I will have to sit down lots of time. I try not to eat but I will get hungry, and think that maybe I won't get sick this time. If I am going out in the evening, I better not eat, or I end up not going, or going and being miserble. Hydrocodone doesn't even help but a little bit. Phenagan does seem to help when I am really bad, of course, it helps with the nausea. I don't get diareahha, but am constipated a lot of the time and take milk of mag. I got to where I try to sit, if I can, at doing things that I use to do while standing. That helps me some. I have had bouts with this for years, but it would end. This time it has been going on for 2 or more years. It seems to have worsened when doctors gave me antibiotics to treat it as a bladder infection, even though I did not have a bladder infection. They would say that the benefits would out weigh the risks. I also was given a strong antiinflammatory medication, that I do believe added to the problem. I had the colon test, and not even a polip. However, I do have diverticulitis, but I have had that for too many years to count, without hurting like this. I try testing foods and I might eat something, and have no reaction, but, then, the next time that I eat it, get really bad. I hope that this helps someone out there, and that I might find an answer too.

This is my first time,
i am haveing this problem since 2004, i did many test, today i went to my doctor again, the pain would not stop, the pain is right in the middle between my chest and navel, it get worse after eating and drinking, my doctor send me for another abdomen ultra sound
i am now on Pantoloc,

I have been having pain for going on 3 weeks now... It is a little weird though... It is mainly in the center just below my rib cage... but it radiates to both the left and right side...The pain only accures about 15 minutes after eating (when I mean eating I mean eating a decent amount of food. Not too much and not too little, right about when your about to feel full). The pain feels like pressure and a major ache...I also have been having diarreha, and very nauseated. Now the kicker to all this is that I had my gall bladder taken out Feb 2005. I went to the E.R. Oct 31 I had blood tests and a Cat scan, and they said my white blood cells were a little high so they put me on anitbiotics (2 to be exact; Flagyl & Cipro), other than that they could not find the cause for my pain. Nov 4 (4 days after going to the E.R.), I went to my primary physician about this.... He said he thought it might be C. difficile (I had been on antibotic about a month or so ago for UTI). So anyway my primary physician put me on 2 anitbiotics (Flagyl & Vancocin these primarily take care of C. difficile). Nov 7 I called my doc oncall and told him I can not take the pain that it really hurts after I eat and I had actually gotten myself to only eating a snack during the day wich would give me pain but it was tollerable, but when I ate at night it would be agonizing. He told me to go to the E.R. after spending 4 hours in the waiting room I finally got to the back and they did blood test and X-Ray (did not want to do a Cat Scan since I had just had one a wekk prior). Well once again they could not find anything, they called my primary Physician and he told them to admit me. I was put on a clear liquid diet with no lactose. It about killed me!! I was in for 3 days total (I got out yesterday), I had a Gastroscope & Endoscopy, and once again they could not find anything. Now during the time I was in the hospital I had alittle pain but the only thing I was eating was chicken broth, jello, juice; mainly things you could see through. Well my doctor release me... needless to say I was really really hungry, the last time I had eaten was Friday for dinner. my husband took me to eat. I told my self to eat slowly since it had been a while since I ate solid foods, well I got halfway through my plate when it all started back up again. I sat there for a while hoping it would go away because I was still hungry. I went to see what else I could get off the buffet, but I had a hard time walking, I was dizzy, and the pain was so bad. I really did not each much after all this started so we went home. My pain lasted about 6 hours total. I felt fine when I got up..... Well now that it has been a while since being in the hospital I am getting worse. It hurts to walk, lay down and of course after eating.....

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!!! I am desperate!!! I can not seem to get any diagnosis.... and I am to the point where I wont eat at all. I can not handle the pain. Might I mention I am also on pain pills and they don't do much help either. And when I say pain pills I am talking about percocet.

I came across your situautions and have heard that irratable bowel syndrome is reallya case of parisite infestation. It is a comon practice for American Doctors to keep this kind of information from the public. As a matter of fact during an internationalWorld health meeting over 10 years ago, an American representative was asked how come we dont incorporate annual parasite cleansing like in Europe? He replied that the knowledge of parasites to the unknowing public would cause mass hysteria. Frankly, I think it a matter of pharmecutical profit, but try fasting and a good natural parasite expulsion kit or make an appointment for a colonic. That should do the trick.

I have the same problem currently. I believe I have a bit of acid reflux, also, but here's the rest with me:
My abdominal area hurts whenever I walk.
I burp a lot.
My throat burns off and on when I swallow.
My lower stomach makes tons of gurgling noises.
I have severe nausea.
I'm bloated today and I swear to god I was puny yesterday.
I get pain and a tingling sensation under my left ribcage.
It sometimes gets better if I take Maalox after I eat.
I can't go to the bathroom unless I force it and when I do, its not full normal but its not runny.
My stomach hurts all the time mostly in the morning and evening hours.

What do you think this is?

I have been running into this same problem a LOT lately. At my prom a month ago, I couldn't even dance after eating a small amount of food. I just found myself getting extremely nauseous. I also recently started a new job that required me to be on my feet for up to eight hours. Twice now, I've gone to work right after eating and the nausea and pain got so bad that I actually threw up. Even when I'm just shopping at the mall, I'll get a bloated feeling and pain in my lower abdomen if I've just eaten. I find that I feel a lot better if I sit and digest for at least an hour before moving AT ALL. The pain is a lot worse if I move around and then sit.

This reminds me of my problem-
I have this horrible pain in my lower left side... I notice it usually comes on after standing a long time. I can't really tell why it comes on, by my stomach is bloated, and I just want to curl up in a ball. It's been happening for 3 years now. I've had a kidney stone, it reminds me of that pain.
And what did the GI dignose me with?
IBS of course >.>
I reallly hope you find out what's wrong, maybe someone has an answer :]

I just got this problem yesterday can i stop it? :'(

Dear All,
You may be suffering form a parasitic infection called Blastocystis Hominis.
This is becoming common in the US and is prevalent in many Southeast Asian countries. Have any of you travelled and found yourselves not feeling quite the same again?

Have you ever considered Celiac disease? Or gluten intolerance/sensitivity? Causes stomach pain and other gastrointestinal issues. Also has other symptoms like migraines and joint pain. Hope everyone finds relief soon!

Please help me , about a month ago this started happening to me i'm 15 years old accept my symptoms are similar but different. Whenever I eat it does not matter if I sit or stand I am in constant pain so I am like a walking pain factory and it's starting to effect my social life. When I first started getting these pains I wrote it off as eating to much but then about a week after it happened I was still in pain. Then i decided to check the symptoms of appendicitis and decided that is most likely not my issue the pain is lessened when I curl up in a ball like I am currently but quite frankly I can't curl up in a ball during school or when I am in the middle of wal-mart please help!

I feel like this is my personal story, I have been in the same boat for about 4 years, yet no one will take me for real because I am only 20 and they just send me home with a broken ego, telling me its just stress related. And because I have no insurance, no one will listen.

I have the same issue!

I'm 20 and this has been happening to me since I was about 12 as well. And I am also healthy and not overweight.

I've told my parents many times over, and asked my friends if they ever have issues like this and they don't and don't understand what the pain is like.

I remember a time back when it first started and I ate lunch and began walking around the mall with my family. I kept having to take breaks and needed to sit down in order to be comfortable. And they have continued on like that through out my life. They haven't been too bad until about a week ago.

I went out to eat with a few friends, and then we went to go see a gig. I was completely fine through the opening band, and the beginning of the main band, but I started feeling the stomache pain and had to leave to the back to see if they had seats and at this point it wasn't even halfway through their show. There were no seats so I was standing in the back area with some of my friends and leaning on a post for some form of support. The pain was so terrible my mouth started to feel dry, and my body temperature was feeling hot. If I ever move around a little or was distracted for a bit the pain would disapear for only a few seconds if my mind wasn't really on it. Anyhow, I reached the point where the pain was so bad I felt a panic attack coming on, and I was dry gagging. So I ran outside and sat down where it was cool out. Right when I sat I felt instantly better.
I sat for a bit and then went back in the room, the pain returned so I decided to go and wait the rest of the show out at the local starbucks. Haha. And I thought maybe I needed water, but that wasn't the case. I was hardly thirsty.
But I did describe the pain to my mom as "You know when you're really, really thirsty and you NEED water? That feeling you get. Well, it's like that but my stomache, where I NEED to sit down".

Anyways. I've never been to the doctor for it, but I really want to talk about it next time I'm in to see if there's any sort of way I can relieve some of that pain.

I'm just glad I found this page. I've been looking for similar stories for ages and this is the first time I've seen them. I'm just glad it's not only me!!!

Hope we all find a cure to this thing...