I am currently trying to pull back my foreskin, and it's going pretty well i should say. But whenever i pull it back far enough to see the smegma CLEARLY (about half way down the tip of the penis?), there appears to be a bit of skin attached from the actual head of the penis, to the foreskin. Now I was just wondering if that's MEANT to be there? Because I'm kind of worried that if it's not meant to be there, I might pull the foreskin back and do some kind of irraversible damage to my penis. Thank you :-)

Hi Nathan,

The foreskin does separate from the head of the penis as you get older. Since you say you are trying to pull back the foreskin I assume you're fairly young, under 16 or so???

This is common and it should separate shortly. Don't tear it, it will come off by itself.

The other possibility would be the frenulum, the strip of skin between the head and the foreskin on the bottom part of your penis. That is supposed to be there as well.

Hope it helps.

Actually i am 17 years old, i never knew i had to pull the foreskin back untill a few weeks ago. :/
it's sounding more like it could be the frenulum, because it's in the exact spot you mentioned, but should i continue trying to pull the foreskin back, if that skin's there? ? ?

Yes, pull the foreskin back as you can. Don't force it, it can get stuck and that may mean a trip to the ER to fix it.

The frenulum is supposed to be there.

You may need to widen the opening. Use your fingers to spread it open. It'll be sensitive. You don't need to hurt yourself but it may be uncomfortable. The more you stretch it the sooner it slides.

Hope it helps.

Hi Nathan:

That piece of skin at the bottom of the glans is called the frenulum. The frenulum has a high level of sensation. It is normal and it is supposed to be there. The frenulum serves to limit the rearward travel of the foreskin.