I went to my doctor a year ago about a constant sore throat and swelling in my neck thyroid area. She did a blood test and said my thyroid was fine, and that my sore throat was probably acid reflux, ( I dont ever get heart burn ). After bugging her she sent me for an ultrasound and a 3mm node was noticed on my thyroid. I went back 1 month ago and a 2nd ultrasound revealed that I have several swollen cervical lymph nodes with the largest being about 1cm...I had to phone for results, she didnt call me..She said that was normal, not to worry. She gave me a requisition for a follow up ultrasound in 3 months time that i have to book myself. She said " just to put my mind at rest "I have an aching pain in my shoulder blade and a pulling on my right side under my arm, timgling and numbness from time to time. I have a history of family cancer. My mother died of lymphoma/breast cancer as a result of a misdiagnosis. I am really scared, but unfortunately, she wont refer me to a specialist...So now what do I do. ? I wake up everyday and throughout the day with a sore throat.....I know that I am not feeling well. I cannot lose weight even though I dont eat much and I do excercise. I was told that a thyroid test is 2 parts, but my doc has only ever done one. If I dont have infection, how can I have a sore throat for so long ? I approached another doctor in town and he said he " does not like to step on a colleauges toes. "
HELP !!!!!!!!! and Thanks....

Hi - Regarding your doctor politics. I drive stragies for a career in Recruiting. You may wish to 'creat visibility' otherwise they will walk all over you. Try any or all of these.
1) Take a couple of family members to to the doctor with you. Have THEM say the whole family is concerned regarding your health and previous family history. They are requesting further testing. Have a list of testing. One good one is a combined Hybird PET/CT
2) FAX a nice letter to your doctor that your family members have tremendous concerns with your health and they are requesting your medical records to be faxed to them.
3) I will tell you to always get your blood labs and medical records faxed. Doctor will writing things in reports they don't tell you in person. Just to cover them selves. They will put down they wanted you to get a scan and never tell you to. Just in case you are diagnosed later. Then they can say YOU never got the scan. I learned the hard way. GET YOUR DOCTORS RECRODS AND NOTES. THEY ALWAYS COVER THEIR BUTS THERE. THEN YOU WILL KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON.

Firstly through experience not having a diagnosis can be as bad as the illness. I was fobbeb off by jumped up know it all doctors for around 17 years untill i had a massive stroke and emergency open heart surgery to remove a tumour in my heart the size of an egg, then they started to listen. Don't take no for an answer. Is your face swollen or just your neck, I was told i had mumps when i was suffering from cushings syndrome which is rare but some people have to have it. If you have weight on around your middle and upper legs but thin ankles and wrists and swollen cheeks. It sounds to me like your whole endocrine system needs checking, thyroid, adrenal glands and then the master of them all your pituatory. They kick out hormones like your ovaries that are incredibley powerful. They can change your personality, your appetite, how you sleep, headaches, hair growth. All i can say is you have lived in your body for the whole of your life and therefore you know there is someting not right. Go on the internet and find an endocrinologist in your area and say you would like to be referred and don't leave the room until they do it. I wish you all the best, they are only GP's but most dont like to not know the answer. I sued the NHS but i would rather have not lost 2 yrs of my 20's paralysed when my friends for living it up.
chesca