Did it ever start hurting? If so how long after? I had mine done this morning at 9 and I feel totally fine. Nothing compared to the horrific tonsillitis I have suffered. I can't tell if the drugs just haven't worn off?? So confused Bc all I have read were horror stories.

Just another rando adding to the list. 25 y/old male, just had my tonsillectomy yesterday morning after 8 months of tonsillitis. The pain was almost non-existent after surgery and the soreness a few hours later was about the worst I've felt by far. Surgery was yesterday at 10AM, it's now 12AM and I feel almost no pain. I've been taking it easy, drinking sips of water and eating jello and only feel the tiniest bit of pain when swallowing. It's on par with a sore throat. I was also scared into preparing for debilitating pain, thinking I wouldn't even be able move or swallow at all.

This could change as it's only been about 14 hours since surgery, but I've been surprisingly good thus far.

Thank you for sharing your story because I'm scheduled to have my tonsils out on December 15, and I have read such horror stories I have come close to canceling it. Does it feel like the sore throat that comes with a cold, because that has been painful for me before. I'm expecting the absolute worst that it will be impossible to even take a sip of water. I will be prescribed pain meds as well though.

I am a 38 year old female and I had my tonsils removed 12/29/17 (just 20 hours ago) like you all I researched and read stories and prepared myself for the worst. Despite having many surgeries with no pain meds I figured this one would be the worst by far. Unlike many of you my tonsils were removed due to enormous amounts of tonsil stones, slight sore throats and ear aches constantly. This far I can only describe what I feel as discomfort. Like a cotton ball is stuck in my throat but far better than it has felt in years and I can actually breath! Here are some of the things I have done.
Before surgery I started taking zinc and vitamins C to help with healing and immunity health.
Right after surgery I started drinking! I finished 12 oz of ginger ale before leaving the surgery center and a popsicle.
I have taken my pain meds every 4 hours just to ensure I do not get behind the pain because I am also battling a kidney stone that I will have to have removed once I am healed from this surgery.
I stuck to the liquid diet my doctor suggested for the first 24 hours after surgery despite being hungry. I have had loads of water, ginger ale, chicken broth and popsicles. (100+ oz of fluids)
When I swallow I duck my head and have found that helps, a suggestion I read somewhere else that says it helps open the throat.
I have not been able to sleep much and think I will try the humidifier!

I really think frame of mind and the drinking have helped me. I will start soft food s today and hopefully continue to be pain free!

I had my tonsillectomy 12 days ago. 23yo Female. I returned to work 10 days post op. I train factory workers in a strengthening program to prevent injury, so there is lifting and a lot of shouting over machine noise involved. I'm fine. No passing out or bleeding.
Surgery was on a Friday, back to work after 1 week, the following Monday. Couldn't take the Hydrocet for more than 3 days, took Motrin and Tylenol instead. I had a lot of nausea from the 15mL dose (1tsp) of hydrocodone and acetaminophen syrup, projectile vomited all the brown denatured blood I had ingested from the procedure on day 3. You can expect some heavy nausea, especially on day 3, so ask your surgeon if they will prescribe Zofran (Ondansetron ODT/ Orally Disintegrating Tablet) it goes under your tongue and melts. Drink water, pedialyte, powerade all day long. Get Sonic pellet ice for your drinks. Make nutritious smoothies ahead of time and store in fridge. Get humidifier. Have TV table beside the recliner that you will be sleeping in each day. No laying flat. It increases swelling and choking/aspirating vomit or bleeding risk.
Altogether, my pain level was acute at 7/10 if I did not stay on top of the pain but was a 3/10 after eating and right before I knew I needed more Motrin. On day 6, I could eat any food I wanted, took an outing, cleaned my house, walked the dog, talked on the phone, stayed awake for more than 2 hours.
Ear pain is referred pain from swelling of the throat wall pressing on the lingual nerve, which is a branch of the trigeminal nerve that travels up into the ear area. Yay, anatomy. Day 5-6, you will wonder if you have an ear infection because it feels like someone's shoving an ice pick into your eardrum. The ear pain continues for 2 weeks. Maybe longer if you have to wear earplugs at work like I do.

Good luck. I am on day 12 and have very little to no pain, like an allergy related sore throat kind of discomfort. Voila! No more strep for me!

Day 1 didn’t really do much slept the whole day pretty much

Day 2 feeling more awake eating everything the nurse brings me

Day 3 since I’ve had my tonsils removed ... still no pain . The most pain I’ve had from a scale of 1-10 I’d say a 2. I’ve lowered my painkillers that my doctor has been giving me because I feel no need in taking more then I really need. I have to say I was really really scared 4 days ago before I got the surgery done but it’s been a breeze compared too other stories.

Don’t forget drink drink drink! Stay hydrated

By the way I’m 26 turning 27 tomorow so i don’t think these horror pain story’s apply to everyone.

Hi everyone. I was so nervous about my surgery (28 yo female) after reading so many horror stories. I'm at 10 days now and I'm pretty much all healed except for my voice. The only issue I had was nausea (which was fine after getting medication for that.) I had low pain for a few days but was able to eat soups, etc fine.

Same here not much pain at all ..Im on my second day. Most important thing take meds on time and sip water all through out the day + humidifier. I thought it would a lot worse then what it is ..