I have been having tonsil summer for two years now and they ruin your confidence when communicating to people as it gives off a very unpleasant odour. It is also very irritating as it gives the feeling of a piece of food stuck in the throat that you can never get out. I have been to my ENT and if explained to me that they occur when food debris gathers in the pockets found no the surface of the tonsils of many people. If told me that tonsillectomy or gargling with salt water and brushing my teeth after every meal were his only prescriptions. But over the part couple of years I have noticed that the more I consume milk and dairy products the more likely I was to get a tonsil stone. So I avoided milk and dairy products for as long as possible and noticed my breath was fresher and my tongue was pinker- as milk leaves a white coating. However I try to limit my consumption of dairy products and when I in overboard I get a tonsil stone. I hope that is indeed the connection and that people do indeed stop getting then if they avoid milk :-)

I have had similar problems to those described here. Gosh it was driving me crazy. it was a constant problem for years and i saw GPs, has scans, seen consultants and there were no answers. Well I'm pleased to say that i stumbled across my miricle drug "cetirizine hydrochloride". For the last few weeks the symtoms have been much less of a problem.

try a naturopath

I've been to an ENT recently. He told me tonsil stones are a secretion from your tonsils caused by a common fungus that can live there. I have read before about people having issues with low level fungal infections in their sinuses, so it makes sense. He didn't give me any indication that they are abnormal, but I have dry itchy ears also and sinus issues... so I am going to try to reduce / kill the fungal infection - which is likely to be candida, AND likely to have been caused by the hi carb, high sugar (Incl. alcohol) I consume. As I'm sure many of you do. The way you go about this is by restricting all foods that yeast / fungus loves to feed on - sugar, refined carbs, honey, milk (lactose), and include probiotics etc to assist elimination. Google it. Better than getting your tonsils removed!

Hi, I am a dentist who has special training in treatment of Sleep Apnea and related problems. Throat clearing is the most common sign of GERD (gastroesophogeal reflux disorder). The tonsilloliths that you are finding are likely being caused from stomach contants being gurgled back up into your esophogus. The bad breath ( Halitosis) may be from a dental or gum problem, but given your description the likely source is GERD, which is the #1 cause of halitosis! GERD and sleep apnea have a high degree of coincidence. You should be evaluated by your doctor for GERD and ask if a formal sleep study should be performed.

I read an article while at the dentist one day she had posted on the wall. It was talking about these tonsil stones and said to use vinegar diluted with water as a rinse. I don't remember the dilution, maybe 1 part vinegar to 9 parts warm water, ( I just mix some up by guessing) but I have tried this and it seems to help dislodge them, but she also told me they have patients who come there all the time and have them picked out.  Hope this helps.

I battled tonsil stones for 15 years. Bad breath and constant clearing of the throat. I started doing the sinus cleanse about a year and a half ago and have not coughed up a white ball since(and I used to get some big ones). The warm water also goes down over your tonsils and cleans them as well. You kill two birds with one stone...Keep your sinuses clean and your tonsils.

I just did this. How often do you have to do it?

I've had this problem for a few years now and yes it's really annoying! It started off in one particular area and over the years I've noticed more crypts. The other day I managed to remove one, it was quite worrying as it would not budge for about a week, which has never happened before. I was worried it might never come out but thankfully it did in the end. It was made up of lots of tiny particles. What worried me is that there was what looked like a small indent or a notch from where the toncillolith had been residing. Why do they sometimes leave behind these notches? Also, when I was trying to get at it for the six days, there was no way I could remove it- I could see it, but nothing would come away when I tried to pick it off, as if there was a see-though layer that was in front of it. What is that???  

I just realized I have the tonsils stones, I never know what they were until last night, but can remember the fist time I notice it and I was 12 I am 33 now. I also am trying to / feel the need to clear my throat which is also very unproductive. Yet feel like there is thick mucus stuck in my throat area. Sometimes I can't even swallow and I have to take a breath and try again. I also can not see my stone but can feel them with my finger in the tonsil as well as it feels like there is a rock in my throat when I swallow at times. Which I can also taste that rancid smell when I breath out. My mouth also taste like metallic a lot, and I alway complaining to my family about uncomfortable sensation in the throat region that cause my face to sweat visible beads on my chin upper cheeks and forehead and my throat feels hot inside almost like the start of an anxiety attach or how u feel when ur coming down with a sore throat. It is a very hard feeling to explain but very very uncomfortable. I have had steady unexplainable stomach aches since I was very young and now the Vargas nerve in my stomach is permanently damaged and does not contract to help the digestion of the food it just sit there for hours. I believe this is a long term effect of the anarobic bacteria that make there tonsil stones. Also I have always had clear skin and over the last few years that had been changing and I've gotten achne on my back and butt some of the pimples are cyst like and take about a month or so to heal and r very painful. My doctor told me this achne is cause by an unknow bacteria and there were a few medication we could try to stop it. I believe it was also the anaerobic bacteria cause by this tonsil stone that were causing my achne. Another thing some time my neck is sore and my lymph nods are swell at time and not just under my jaw and I have a lil pain with swallowing food but.more so with liquid. I got a water pick and have tried pushing these stone out but only have got about 25 lil one but I can feel bigger one still in the crypts I think but the won't budge and I can't see them help. Ultimately I want to have my tonsils out but until that is possible I want these things.out of me I know they are poisoning my body.

Hi, I'm 38 and have been clearing my throak for years now, I know I have tonsil stone. Enven tough I havent been told that by a doctor yet, I can see them. My doctor has put me on antibiotic, on my second week now. It's been a year now since you posted this, have you found out anything new, have you stopped clearing you throat. Please let me known for I will learn from you.
Thanks.

dd you stick to eating traditional asian food ie rice for carbs while in Asia, then return to eating bread / gluten when returning to western culture in Australia?
Maybe these are part of an allergic reaction to a gluten / food intolerance

I've had tonsiliths since I was a child in the 80's. I just use a cotton swab to sweep out my oral crypts, or even squeeze the area with clean fingers to express all of the stones, then brush/floss/gargle, & I'm good to go. Sure, they can be lame to manage, but they can be maintained; shaving sucks, too, but people do it... Surgery (and I saw a "suicide" solution??) strikes me as an extreme fix. A noteworthy mention: certain activities seem to produce more stone frequency (i.e. tobacco, alcohol, caffeine), so avoiding them is helpful. After 30 years living with tonsiliths, before I even knew what they were called, I still find them to be pretty fascinating, actually; so much stink in such a tiny little "rock".

So i also have these little buggers, but my question, can they also form deep in the throat where the adams apple would be , or anywhere from where your throat starts to the base of your throat?

i got a feeling i got one or a few in the middle of my throat where the adams apple is. And its bugging the c**p out of me where i'm starting to have minor pain. 

I used to get tonsil stones back in 2008. Then I stopped eating gluten for other stomach reasons and they went away. Now I have been eating gluten again this month in order to do the celiac biopsy and just found my first one again six years later. So I definitely think there is a connection. My trick to remove them is to use a bobby pin that I've pulled in to a v shape and lightly poke or scoop them out.