Hello everyone

I love the results I get from having my eyebrows threaded, and I have to say that the pain is markedly less than the pain from waxing, but I have very sensitive skin or am very pain sensitive or both, and I dread the thread every time :). 

I know I am a bit of a sissy but I am also sure that I can't be the only one with this problem. What are your top remedies for reducing eyebrow threading pain? Whether it's creams, meditating, or painkillers I would really like to know what you are doing to make threading as comfortable as possible for you.

Thanks in advance

Hi!

Try these.

1. Plash your eyebrows with ice cold, and I mean ice cold, water after your threading.

2. Ask your cosmetologist to use a cooling gel afterwards.

3. Keep your eyebrows well moisturized so they do not develop bumps and redness.

4. Take an OTC painkiller prior to your threading if you really must.

For me, the cooling gel and splashing it with cold water occasionally does the trick. Moisturizing is a must anyway.

That's what I do! I pop an ibuprofen, which reduces inflammation as well as killing pain, before I have my eyebrows threaded. I have not had any problems with swelling or inflamed follicles since I started doing this, and the pain of threading has definitely reduced as well. I have not tried any of the other steps you mention, but I might try them out now, even though I am not having any problems now, just to see whether it makes any difference.

I'll be honest here. Threading hurt me much more than waxing and I have now gone back to waxing. I tried different things — witch hazel, vaseline, painkiller cream, but it hurt no matter what I did and though waxing hurts too it hurts much less for me, especially now that I have found someone who does a fantastically quick job of it.

Simply put, threading can be a great hair removal method but like everything else I suppose, it is just not for everyone.

You have received some useful tips already. Some lesser known tips that may help you are:

• Wet your eyebrow area with warm water before you get threaded. 
  • Wear sunglasses if you just got threaded and the sun is shining. This will go a long way toward preventing irritation. Choose big ones of course.
  • Use rose water to soothe your skin after getting threaded. 

Indeed, it is very important to avoid touching your newly threaded skin unless you have clean hands. There are micro-injuries present on your skin after getting threaded; remember that. That doesn't mean you can't touch the skin to apply moisturizer, just make sure your hands are clean and dry.

There are definitely things that can be done to make threading less painful and they have already been mentioned here. My own go to is simply putting ice cubes on my skin for a little while, not because of the pain which i don't mind but to reduce inflammation, which looks bad so I do mind that. At the end of the day though, this is a hair removal procedure and it is going to be mildly painful no matter what you do about it. If you don't like that try laser treatment. That is painful too but when it is done you never have to have it done again.