Okay peeps, want your opinion please! I went down to MAC the other day and of course came away with more than I had planned to buy, but what I didn't buy was the eyebrow pencil the makeup lady tried on me. Now I love it when the people at MAC do my makeup, and usually come away learning a new trick, but in this case... she said something like, well, you got light skin, a lighter shade eyebrow pencil would suit you better, you shouldn't go too dark. It's true that my skin's really light, see through as they say LOL, but then again I also got dark hair, not dyed but naturally dark hair.

So... my eyebrows looked weird with the lighter pencil. Not bad as such, but I use a very dark one normally. Part of the issue is that my natural brows are non-existent thanks to tweezer happy behaviour in my teens, LOL. I'm not that great with the old pencil, I'll admit that. No matter how many YouTube videos I watch, I just don't have the magic eyebrow touch. But I can make it look OK, you know? So the lighter brows applied by the MAC lady looked pro of course. But too light for my liking.

Maybe I should reconsider that and try lighter brows a while though? WDYT? Should light skinned people, like really light skinned people, use a lighter eyebrow pencil or is sticking with the dark brow pencil fine? Advice appreciated people!

My personal opinion is that many people really overdo their eyebrows. Making your eyebrows look like they are actually present (which is understandable in people who have none due to over-plucking - I get that!) is not equal to using a pencil or gel so dark that it looks like you've just come in with permanent marker and drawn away. I have heard it say that your brow pencil should be the color of your pubes. Something to think about.
If you are that bad at applying eyebrow pencil and videos do not help you, I do dare suggest that you take a makeup course instead. You will thank yourself later! If you were to take one, you would learn all about drawing on eyebrows in such a way as to make them look almost completely indistinguishable from natural eyebrows. Or you could go for brow tattoos, of course.

Well, you asked. :)

I think, personally, that dark eyebrow pencil on people with very light skin is fine, as long as their natural hair color is also dark. Of course, it would look strange to have very light eyebrows and black hair. When you dye your hair, the eyebrow color should complement that. Of course if you dye your hair pink, I'm not saying your eyebrows should be pink also, though that would be fine if you did that. If you are a natural brunette, your brows should get lighter if you color your hair blonde, though.

So in your case? Just match your eyebrows to the shade of hair you have, and you will look your best.

Celebrity

Hello Londongirl,

The internet is a great place to learn about new makeup trends and trends that may suit your personal style even better than what you are currently doing. Makeup pros are a great place to learn about new trends and to learn new tips. Friends are there to give you great advice too.

But... and that's a big old but, regardless of all those great tips, your makeup is there for you. Of course, other people react to you based on how you present yourself, that is true, but at the same time, I know that I personally feel best when I dress to impress MYSELF. When I am comfortable in my skin, that shines through.

All of these words just to say that if you want to use a dark eyebrow pencil because it makes you feel great and the lighter eyebrow pencil someone else thinks looks awesome on you makes you feel odd, you need to go for what you feel most comfortable with!

Rosie

Ultimately I gotta say... I like this post, tah. Yeah, I do love learning new things off off those MAC ladies, they're awfully talented nearly all of them and usually willing to take the time to do your makeup for free as long as you're planning on buying something and say so in advance. But not everything they do is gonna work for the person they are working on 'cause they're working off their own personal preferences I guess, or even which products they wanna sell, though in this case eyebrow pencil is eyebrow pencil. I did love the way she coloured it all in to make for realistic looking brows. Wish I could do that.

All I know is that there are an awful lot of Cara Delevigne eyebrow tutorials out there, and she has light hair and darker brows, so it must be a "valid" style choice to make! Others like to do the opposite and have their brows a shade or two lighter than their hair and that is a cool choice in some as well.

I'm not so sure where skin color comes in. I think it is always more linked to hair, that that is what you look at, and that your hair is what your eyebrows contrast with most. The most important thing regardless is that your brows are applied properly. This is something you can learn to do over time with the help of tutorials.

Ah. Light skin and dark eyebrow pencil is fine as long as you don't make it too dark or completely black. Unless you want to look like a punker. You will really really stand out with harsh eyebrows like that and look completely unnatural. Another thing you have to watch out for is to follow the shape of your natural eyebrow and not like shave them off and draw them back on, which used to be popular in the 90s. That seems to have gone out of fashion though. You could also look into permanent eyebrow tattoos. Make sure you go to a good place, to an expert.

My personal opinion is that many people use eyebrow pencils, gels, or whatever else on their brows, that is too dark and make them look too harsh and unnatural. I believe that just a tad darker than the natural color of the eyebrows usually works best, and often this translates to the color of the hair, in its natural state, regardless of the color of dye you are currently using if any.

Big changes often take a while to look natural to you so I'd give this a week or so, experiment with wearing the lighter color, perhaps from a cheaper brand like NYX at first, and then see whether with some adjustment you come to actually really like it.

Just my two cents, take them or leave them!