For the past three weeks, I have been having a sensation after I eat that the food is stuck in my throat. It is very uncomfortable - worse after a large meal. Drinking water doesn't seem to help... sometimes makes it worse. Any ideas?

I have general anxiety disorder. It can cause all types of physical symptoms. At one point I got shooting pains all over my body. Now I have the throat problem. Anxiety is definitly the cause of many of these problems. Stress and anxiety tightening the muscles in the throat. I would still see a doctor, however antidepessants are really a good help with therapy to assist in dissolving the lump.

I've had the same issue while eating. It usually happens during the first bite of a meal and I've also noticed that I'll hickup until food goes down. Is this the same thing you're experiencing?

Hi Suzanne,

I've had this trouble for years and it occasionally happens immediately after the first bite of food. Months go by without any problems then suddenly I suffer it. My problem appears to be stress related.

eg
The food got stuck and stayed there overnight. I went to A&E and had an injection of Buscopan and a tablet of GTN which was put under my tongue.
The doctor told me throats go into spasm.
Also fizzy drinks helped once.

Best regards and take care

Mike

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Hi

I have had a similar problem for a year and a half. I have had my tonsils removed because I was told food was getting stuck in the crevisis in my tonsils. However, after having them removed I kept complaining of a feeling in my throat that hadn't healed properly and haven't been able to find the problem. During this, in the last few weeks food has once again been stuck in my throat and I have not found an answer. i've just had a ct scan and am due to go back yet again to see what they say. This is after having a camera stuck down my throat for the 10th time. I wish you all the best and please keep me informed if you find an answer as I will with you. Good luck.

I have before and again now, experienced this. I see a gastroenterologist. They feel it is caused by reflux, and this time it is back and worse. So I will have another upper endoscopy done. You may check that out. It may be something like acid reflux.

I have had this food stuck in my throat feeling for a few years on and off. Mostly in the summer months. I've noticed that if I regurgatate that the feeling goes away until I eat again. I wish I knew what causes it as well. I know the regurgitation sounds gross but drinking hot chocolate before doing it helps alot. Bits of food come out as well but it sure feels better afterward. Please let me know if anyone trys and works for them

Thanks

My husband has had a similar problem since June 2006. He had a Nissen Fundoplication procedure to repair a hernia due to acid reflux. He has an extremely difficult time swallowing any type of food. He constantly has a lump in his throat. He's had several scopes. No one can figure out the problem. They just keep dialating his stomach, which works for a couple of weeks. He's lost 25 pounds, which he really didn't have to loose... Has anyone had this procedure and experienced the same problems? Thanks for your help!

I'm 16 years old and I've been having gastrointestinal problems recently and from my symptoms my doctor said it was probably giardia i'd picked up somewhere, (I had mild nausea that came and went and made me unable to eat and abdominal pains) but today about an hour or two after lunch I had felt like their was something in the right side of my throat. I dismissed it as acid reflux (I have a family history of it although its only surfaced recently) and it eventually went away for awhile. I took my daily prevacid and ate my dinner later and after I ate there was this feeling that something was in my throat. I had to rule out acid reflux, because I had taken my pill only an hour or so before and its 24 hour so there shouldn't be any way. I don't have any white or yellow stuff, nor any tiny holes in my throat like I've heard others complain of, but the right side of my throat (I guess my tonsils?) is swollen and my uvula is kinda leaning to the left because it has no room on the right. Are my symptoms interconnected? Is it still acid reflux? Is my medication for giardia causing this?

I have experienced a similar problem since I was about 10 years old. Since it has never been debilitating or painful for me (mostly just embarrassing), I have not seen a physician about it.

It should also be noted that I do not have problems with reflux or heartburn, I do not recall any trauma to my throat or esophagus, I have not had surgery on my abdomen or head (not even tonsils removed) and I have not noticed any pattern in timing or correlation to stress/anxiety.

Occurrence is consistent with the size of my bites and how well I chew my food. If I take a big bite of steak (for example), and don't chew it very well, then it will seem to get lodged in my lower esophagus. In my case, it seems to always happen near the lower esophageal sphincter, since I can take a bite or a drink before I even know it has happened.

When a blockage occurs, there is a noticeable increase in mucus production in my nasal cavity and throat (presumable my body trying to dislodge the obstruction).

Sometimes taking a drink of water will force the obstruction through to the stomach, sometimes standing up and walking around helps. Certain foods that become lodged will also dissolve with the saliva that they have blocked, and will then pass through on their own.

When none of that works, the only solution seems to be forced regurgitation (similar to inducing vomiting). This usually causes me to have a sore throat for a little while (as expected), so I try to avoid this as much as possible. I have also been accused of bulimia because of this, even though I go back to finish my meal after the "incident", but most people just think I'm ill and vomiting from some other cause.

Anyway, keep in mind that none of this solves the problem, these have just been my methods of belaying the symptoms. The best thing is to just take small bites, chew well, and simply live with the designation of "slowest eater in town".

In my case, I am still able to eat normally, and I have no discomfort unless I try to swallow without chewing well. If your case is more severe, you should see your physician. These symptoms could be indicative of herniated esophageal wall, or even a potentially malignant growth (especially if you smoke).

I have also had an issue with food getting caught in my throat. I'm 51 and it's been a problem for about 15 years. It always seems to occur when I am rushing while I'm eating, either by myself or with someone. It's definitely stress or anxiety related. I will be in a hurry, either to finish my meal or finish chewing what I just put in my mouth. The most common scenario is that I'm in a conversation over a meal and I want to say something so I will swallow before I should. The other scenario seems to be I'm stressed because I'm not comfortable with the people I'm with (my ex in-laws were good at this!) and I eat to quickly. Whatever the reason, the food will get lodged in my throat. Fortunately breathing is never a problem, but swallowing is impossible, whther it be something solid or liquid. Even a spoonful of water won't make it's way down and I have to spit it up. If I'm lucky the food will eventually make it's way down after about 5 minutes. Often it's more like 15 or 20. Recently I had one of my worst episodes as a piece of steak stayed lodged for a good hour. It wasn't until I actually vomitted that my throat cleared. Drinking any amount of water does not help. I can actually hear it gurgle in my throat and within seconds have to spit it up, which isn't pleasant. Sometimes giving myself the Heimlich by placing my fist below my sternum and thrusting against a railing or chair might help, though not usually. I am very concious of this and will always take small bites, but if I don't take the time to chew thoroughly and try to talk I'm almost guaranteed a problem. The biggest offenders are steak (which I arely have, processed chicken (patties, etc.), rice, and rolls. When I eat at a restaurant I always opt for something that's easy to swallow. I don't know if this is a medical issue, but the common denominator to every episode (and I've had dozens) has been not being completely calm as I eat.

Guys, have them do a biopsy during your endoscopy...Many are finding out now that these reflux symptoms where food gets stuck is actually allergy based and called eosinophilic esophagitis. It took 1-2 years before my GI doctor figured it out, many never will. Trust me have them look into this! Almost all the posts sound identical to my symptoms.

for the past 3 months i feel food is stuck in my throat after i ate,i feel as if all the food comes to my throat which chokes me.at the same time i will feel ear ache.i drink a glass of cold milk after a meal which helps as my doctor said i am suffering from acid reflux.i agree with u its scary and unconfortable.at first i used to have panic attacks wen i used to have these symtoms but now im used 2 it and keep calm. i am on medication for GERD.my situation has improved a bit, but not gone completey.i will still feel something is stuck in my throat the whole day.im always drinking water which helps2 move that sensation but it doesnt last long.did u go 2 ur doctor???

I have got the same problem as a few of you mostly when I dont chew my food thoroughly. And most of the time it's something small like rice or cereal. I feel it get stuck in the back of my throat, sometime I can cough it up and other times it stays lodged back there for a while. The following days after I will suffer from fowl breathe and if it eventually comes out it's small like a yellowish piece of plaque and smells HORRIBLE

Ive suffered from this for the last couple of years and I used to be a heavy smoker, which assume plays a roll in the problem.

If anyone has found a cure or cause of the problem please let me know!

My father had difficulty swallowing which got worse over the years. The problem was caused by a pouch that formed in his throat that grew larger as time went by. After suffering with it for several years and getting no relief my dad started researching it himself, without the aid of a computer, until he finally found out that he had Zenker's Diverticulum, for which his doctor confirmed.

If you type in Zenker's Diverticulum in the search engine you will find information about it. I'm not saying that this is what everyone's is as I'm not a doctor, but after what my father went through I told myself that if I read or heard anyone complaining about having difficulty swallowing or having food get caught in their throat and not knowing why, that I would tell them to look up Zenker's Diverticulum just in case this may be the problem.

Another symptom of Zenker's Diverticulum is gargling when you talk, and choking on your saliva while asleep, which of course you wake up coughing like crazy. As for gargling while talking, and if it is Zenker's, this may only happen after the pouch has gotten really large, but I'm not sure, but it was in my father's case as he let it go to long. I would suggest just reading up on it and seeing if you may have any of those symptoms and if so you may want to bring it up with your doctor. There is a simple test for it by drinking I think barium while they take x-rays.

This is my suggesting only, which by no means is a medical diagnosis.

Take care and I hope this may be of some help to someone on this posting.

CZNATIVE