I am confused. Okay so I am on the pill. I have been for two months. I missed a couple of pills but I always took two the next day. My period came normally the day after the last time we had sex. It's been about 5 weeks now since the last time. I had started to get some weird symptoms and my sister and my friend said that I should take a pregnancy test so I waited until I was 4 days late on my period (I've not been that late since my first year of having my period, which was when I was 13 and I'm 19 now), and also I have ALWAYS gone 8 days, and been very heavy, but this time it was ONLY 4 DAYS and it was lighter than usual. And I got a positive first but I didn't do it quite right so I took another and it came out negative. Well that was confusing so I took another that night and I got another really faint positive. Then I took another the next day and it was a clear negative. This was about a week ago and I took another this morning but got another negative. (all of the tests were First Response). I have been having a lot of symptoms that are usually assoiciated with early pregnancy; nausea, headaches, mood swings, weird cravings (not too bad though), changed appetite, I'm more tired than usual, and I am peeing way more than usual. I also have had some weird abdominal pain... well actually not pain, it wasn't cramps or gas, it just felt like really weird and not normal. I am also SLIGHTLY bloated. Well anyway, my bf and I were having problems and we are seperated right now and I want to tell him that I think I might be, but I'm worried he will think I am just trying to trap him like I'm making it up or something to get him back. Please help, I don't know what to do. Should I go to the doctor to make sure? Or am I likely not, because I got 2 very faint positives (like almost hard to see) and 3 negatives?

Hi Kait,

I don't think you're pregnant.

The faint tests are not valid.  The tests don't detect "how" pregnant you are.  They only react to the presence of hCG.  If it's there, you're pregnant and the test should be clear.  Since you say "like almost hard to see" consider the tests bad.  Additionally, the later tests should read positive if an earlier test did since hCG increases rapidly.

Your symptoms are not specific to pregnancy.

You indicate you had a 4 day period as well.  There can be some bleeding if you are pregnant but normally it is very light.  

Stress, maybe from being separated, can cause your period to be late.  

You can check with your doctor. Again, I think it unlikely you are pregnant.

Good luck. 

But... my friend is pregnant and she took 6 pregnancy tests and they were all very faint. She's now 27 weeks along

Then as you go further along the tests should read "positive." Besides, you had a period, different, but you said you did.

Try another brand of test.

Sometimes too, the tests don't work for all women.

Being on the pill may also have changed your period.

Alright well I am going to go to the doc to be sure. I feel like if that isn't what it is then something else is wrong with me.

Looking at the date of this post I'm sure you found out a lobg time ago if infact you were pregnant or not but I just wanted to post a response incase any other girls read this with the same question. I have 2 girls and am now 7 weeks pregnant. A fsint positive is a positive. If you call the customer service line listed on the box they will tell you so. I had the same problem