Hello. I am so glad I found this site. I really needed it. I don’t know a thing about animals. I’ve never liked animals. Actually, the animals never liked me. I got bitten by a dog when I was seven and ever since then I’ve been avoiding them. Cats were even less favourite to me. But my friend, who is by the way a great animal lover, gave me this cat a month ago. She is sick so nobody wanted to adopt her. She has hypothyroidism. I have no idea what to do with her. Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to feed her?

Hey Dona,

It is nice of you to take in that cat since you know that she’s struggling with hypothyroidism. Well, now you both are.

I never had a close contact with cats with hypothyroidism, but I know a few people who did. If I remember well, they were all saying the same thing about feeding their cat: they said that proteins play a viral role in this diet. It goes about 60% of proteins, 10% of carbohydrates and 30% of fat.

They were all avoiding dry food since it is always too high in carbohydrates and too low in proteins.

You should visit the vet anyway, your cat’s condition needs to be monitored.

Hey guys,

I have some experience with hypothyroidism so I might be able to help you out.

As far as I know, hypothyroidism is caused by a high intake of iodine. Regarding this, there is a diet made especially for cats and dogs with hypothyroidism called Hill’s Prescription Diet y/d. It is very limited in its iodine content.

Your cat’s condition must be monitored because hypothyroidism very often comes along with kidney diseases. In case this happens, you will need to change the diet again but be aware that you need to do this gradually, not too fast.

And your cat is going to have to be on low iodine diet for the rest of her life.

Hey everybody,

My cat has hypothyroidism. I was very frightened at the beginning, because, you know, it sounds kind of scary. But as the time passed, I got used to it, my cat got used to the new food, which is more important than me getting used to this.

I’m using this Hill’s prescription diet y/d that Ruby already mentioned. I’ve been keeping my cat on this diet for one year already. I’m lucky that my cat didn’t have any kidney problems at the same time.

It almost feels like my cat is completely healthy. Other than the fact that she is on a special diet, everything is fine.

Hey there.

Dona,

I really don’t have any experience with hypothyroidism in cats but I think that I can help you since my mom had a cat that was diagnosed with it.

Her cat died but not because she was sick. She died because she was old (she was almost 13 years old) and she died 4 years ago.

But I still remember something.

Here is what I know.

You should feed her definitely with protein diet program because protein is the primary macronutrient that is responsible for maintained of the muscle mass in your cat. But you need to take care that you are giving high – protein diet to your cat.

Also, diet that is low in carbos is very helpful.  

Hey. The best diet program needs to satisfy her or his nutritional requirements. Some experts will tell you that canned or raw diet that contain little to no fruits, vegetables or grains is good choice.

Remember any canned food is always better than dry food which contains too much carbos and plant – based protein.

You should feed your cat with meat because they are simply protein source. When it comes about the food that you need to avoid it is:

• Soy,
  • Fish,
  • Ultra high iodine diets
  • Ultra low iodine diet.

Trust me, it is not that hard to learn.

Hey guys,

I disagree a bit with you DS991. I’m against canned food because you never really know what they put in there. I’m always turned to home food and natural stuff. And I can agree that her cat needs to eat a lot of meat because of the proteins.

Dona, your cat needs to get a lot of proteins and be advised that they need to be of high quality. If they aren’t, then they won’t help her out a lot. And she needs to take less of iodine. Not ultra less, like DS said, but just less, on the minimum, since high iodine is the cause of hypothyroidism.

Hey everyone. I hope you are fine.

Here is the thing, my cat is diagnosed with hypothyroidism like three months ago. I am feeding her with low carbohydrate diet program. Vet recommended it to me strongly.

Did you know that feeding a low carbo diet will improve your cat insulin sensitivity and it will reduce the need for exogenous insulin?

Also it is going to help stabilize glucose metabolism in cats.

This is also good because it is going to help and prevent the development of overt diabetes.

I wrote for this diet program definitely because it turns out very good in my cat’s case.

Hello. Hypothyroidism is usually caused by intake of iodine. I totally agree with rubylock in this one - Hill’s Prescription Diet y/d is amazing and it can help your cat. I remember that my ex girlfriend had this problem with my cat and I told her to visit my vet. She went there and he recommended this diet program for her cat. Since then she is just talking about this diet program – how good it is and how thanks to this diet program her cat have everything that she needs. I guess that you can try out this diet and of course share your experience with us.