Hello friends.

Do you remember the story about my kitten? About my cute, little Hope? Since I took her from the shelter, she is being sick.

She is my little champion and I truly do believe that she is going to be much, much better. But, I am a little bit under the stress since my vet told me that she has hypothyroidism. I know that cats with this issues can live normally, but still, I am under the stress.

My vet told me like three times what is the best diet program, but, I can’t remember :/

I don’t want to ask him anymore, he will be mad :) Can you tell me what is the best diet for cat with hypothyroidism, just to consult my vet again?

It is silly, I know. Don’t judge me :/  

Hey there, darling. I do understand that you are under the stress, but don’t worry. I think that you vet should understand this, and tell you once again about this diet program.

You should not feel this way.

As you already know, this is common issue in cats. I vote for low iodine diet program, because years and years of experience and positive comments can guarantee that this diet program is the best for cats with hypothyroidism.

The good thing is, once your cat gets better, there is no need to feed her with this diet program.

She will be better, I am sure. 

Hey everybody, As you all know, Hypothyroidism is the most common endocrine disorder in cats, and there are many questions regarding the best diet to feed cats with Hypothyroidism. There is a new type of diet called Hill's y/d diet, the iodine deficient diet, which restores thyroid health, and it's currently the most used diet with a high percentage of success. On the other hand, if you want another diet, you should know that your cat needs large amounts of dietary protein. Proteins are responsible for maintenance of muscle mass, so they are very important to cats with hypothyroidism. You can also try with a low carbohydrate diet, since most of these cats also have diabetes.

Hey there.I am starting to hate hypothyroidism, because, whenever I go, I can hear that my friends are talking about this disease.

I am scared, to be honest, because I do know that this disease is really common in cats.

I think that soy in cat’s food can be really helpful.

I was reading a little bit about it, and a few days ago, my friend told me that this is the best cure for hypothyroidism in cats.

I haven’t tried it, and I can tell you about this, but if anyone else knows something about this, it would be nice for me to hear :)

Hello. In this case, your cat requires a very large amount of protein in their diet program. When you are considering dietary adjustments, it is imperative to ensure that the hypothyroidism in cats receives much more proteins, to maintain the muscle mass. A lot of hypothyroid cats have or will develop diabetes in this case, unfortunately. So, diet that is low in carbos will benefit the cat’s insulin activity and it can help to stabilize cat’s glucose metabolism. You should definitely limit the dry food and you should always read the ingredient list. Primary source of proteins should come from ingredients, such as grains and vegetables. 

Hello there.

I could not agree with you more!
I just love the way how you explain this diet program for cats.
I have a cat as well, and she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
Whenever I asked someone to help me with this problem, nobody was able to tell me what to do.
So, I am finding your post really helpful, because now I am pretty much into this situation.
I think that now I know how to help my cat.
I was feeding her with dry, canned food.
But, no more.
I will try wet food for a while.
Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone,

Hypothyroidism is a pretty bad disease if you don’t treat it in the proper way. My cat had hypothyroidism and I was scared just by hearing the name of this disease. Anyway, my friend the vet told me that I just need the proper diet for my cat and not only will it help my cat, but the disease will disappear completely. I used something called Hill’s y/d diet for cats with hypothyroidism, it is a worldwide famous diet for cats with this disease, and I’m giving a thumb up for it. I know it’s an iodine deficient diet, but I’m not really sure what that means

It was a time back when I was in college when I had to take care of a cat with hypothyroidism. I remember she had a special diet I needed to follow. 

Since most of cats with hypothyroidism also have subclinical diabetes, it is recommended to feed them with low carbohydrate diet .  Feeding them with a diet low in carbohydrates will improve their insulin sensitivity. It will also reduce the need for exogenous insulin and it will help stabilize glucose metabolism in these cats. 

This will probably prevent the development of overt diabetes and I suggest you to try it. 

Good day everyone.

Yes, like other members told you, it is really common in cats, and dogs as well.

Now, sometimes, it can be really serious and bad disease, I remember that my cousin lost her cat due to hypothyroidism disease.

To be honest, I didn’t know this before, a few days ago when I was writing this post up there, but I meet her, my cousin, and she told me this.

When I asked her what is the best diet program, me told me that low – carbo diet is the best ever.

You may try this one, right? I think that it is just fine.