On 3rd week after surgery & much better now. one thing to try that I havent seen so far & this was recommended by my consultant - chew plenty of chewing gum as this keeps you siliva flowing & believe it or not - drink plenty coke or diet coke!! the bubbles are quite soothing!

Hope this helps!

Hello i'm 18 and just had my tonsillectomy tuesday April 14.

So far everything has bee good, i went in scarred but in the end the nurses were really nice and comforting. woke up and the first thing i wanted was a drink, i got some ice chips and then some ice water which i sipped as i woke up. i was still pretty drugged up so it didn't really hurt much, i'd say get as much water down as soon as you can after surgery to help hydrate you with minimal pain.

Got home and the first thing i did was use some numbing spray and eat some cold pudding. i slept on and off most of the day.

yesterday morning i woke up with more pain not as bad as a mono sore throat sleep with a humidifier the dryer your throat the more it hurts. numbing spray fast became my best friend. drink lots of fluids, the colder the better. pudding is good milkshakes don't feel that great. i had some popcorn chicken for dinner took me an hour to finish and was panful but worth it.

This morning has been the most painful so far but staying on top of the meds. i'm trying to ween myself off of them, slowly but surely, the fact that i'm dealing with the pain without meds makes me happy.

coughing hurts but not all to bad hiccups are worse. it doesn't hurt to breath (i have had sore throats that bad before) so i'm content.

my advice is, if you are hungry eat, avoid chips, anything that scratches but you'll feel better with a full stomach. and no matter how much it hurts, drink often, if you dry ut you will regret it.

Hi

I am 25yr female who had a tonsillectomy on 15th April, I am therefore on day 5.

I had them out late in the day and it was about 5pm by the time i got to my room in the hospital for the night. I was pleasantly surprised how i felt, even though anaesthetic made me feel woozy, my throat was ok. I had a drink and ate a sandwich.

That night i hardly slept, my canular was the most pain i was experiencing though.

I went home about 10am on day two and was relieved how i felt, the Dr said that some people arent so lucky...i was smitten.

Was told to eat as normal as possible to prevent infection and keep the throat clean. Was given some pain relief mouth wash and told to take co codamol or paracetamol.

Day 3 it all changed......I have never felt pain like it. Its not even my throat but like many others my ears. Its immense. In addition which i have not seen so much of is my tongue, teeth and jaw. Its lie my head is in a vice.....my jaw and ears feel like they are going to smash under the pressure. Anyone else had the teeth or jaw pains?

I am going off eating altho i know i must as this is part of recovery. I must also keep my water intake up.

I am now on day 5 and have just found this site, as i type i have already taken advice and have frozen peas on my ears and neck.....

I will come back to report when it gets better, i hate that people around me do not comphrehend how painful this is to going through, all i can think is no more tonsilitus.....

I leave here hoping that i can report later than i can now sleep through the night and the pain is easing of....i think its wishful thinking tho :-(

I want to let everyone know ho much valuable information I have received from this forum.

This is not an easy surgery to recover from. In fact it's very painful at times. But, I have found that I am okay as long as I stay on top of my meds. The middle of the night and mornings are the worst when the pain meds are wearing off.

I'm 35 years old and I have had tonsillitis on and off my whole life. I don't understand why my parents never had my tonsils taken out when I was young... I am playing the guilt card on this one. It might get something shiny and new. haha My ENT decided to pull them since I've had tonsillitis 5 times in less than a year. I have been on antibiotics since the New Year.

Anyways, I am keeping a full journal/blog for anyone out there that is interested in the ugly details. I have to warn anyone looking that there are pictures of my throat is daily stages of recovery. It's not pretty, but it's the truth. It's located at: johnadams.tv/blog02

I know this will all be worth it in a month or so... I just have to keep telling myself that.

TTL

John

**edited by moderator**

Thanks so much to everyone who has taken the time to post their post-op stories. I'm having my tonsillectomy two weeks from tomorrow, and I feel just a little bit more in control knowing what to expect after the surgery.

I posted the following question on another forum a few weeks ago, and I haven't received any replies, so I thought I'd try here. After reading your posts, I'm pretty sure that I know the answer to my question already, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway...

I am a 35 year old high school resource teacher, and I work one-on-one with students all day. Basically, that means that I talk non-stop all day.

I am scheduled for a tonsillectomy on May 5, and I have told my immediate supervisor that I will need a substitute teacher for one week. She offered to book someone for longer than that, but since my doctor told me that I would need to take a week off work I thought that would be enough.

This weekend, I spoke with my sister who had a tonsillectomy a number of years ago. She thinks that given my line of work that I'd be crazy to go back to work after 1 week (there would be 4 remaining work days in that week). She feels that I should schedule my substitute now for those extra 4 days.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from those who have had first hand experience with a tonsillectomy.

Tomorrow will be exactly one week since my coblation tonsillectomy and I would not be able to stand in front of anyone and speak for more than 5 minutes. There is still a lot of pain after every time I wake up...

Lucky for me, I have a position where I can work from home Tomorrow is going to be the first day that I attempt this. I should be okay as long as I can continue to string out the pain pills into longer intervals.

I recommend taking those extra 4 days. You won't be sorry.

John

ONE WEEK?!?!

I am on day 7 and i am not due back at work for another week, if i was due back any sooner I'd be very unhappy indeed.

I have had considerable pain in my tongue and jaw, if i have to talk for longer than i want to i am not very happy or comfortable yet, it is still sore. It is improving but cannot imagine doing one to one teaching all day. You might find that you just dont 'feel' right either with all the painkillers you are taking, i still am not sleeping through the night.....you might tire yourself out.

Also i was told that the first two weeks are really important to not pick up infection, i think a school is an deal breeding ground for everything you dont want to catch.

Extend the subsitute now, before you feel bad about letting people down at the time and then you can be rest assured you have two full weeks for your much needed recovery.

Hope all goes well

I am 17, female and currently on day 3 of recovery. I have read many of peoples experiences on this site and all i can say is it is a very individual-based recovery. For example, A close friend had a tonsilectomy earlier this year, and lost all sense of taste during recovery- yet my taste is the same as it was before surgery.

I had an afternoon surgery and went home from hospital the next day after lunch. My Ent is of the opinion that it is important to eat and drink as much as possible, and to aim to eat 'normal' foods. He says this will ensure the tonsil bed heals from the inside out as opposed to a scab forming and healing the other way. I have eaten the amount a 2 year old would eat at each meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner), and not much else and have been drinking as much cold water as i can. I;ve had porridge, pasta, toast with honey, and scrambled eggs. But i have to say, even with the panedine forte and oxycodone (strong form of codeine) by the fourth hour following a dose i am around 7 on the pain scale. The hour after a dose it goes to a 3 or so, which is entirely manageable if i stay pretty much sedentary.

I can't yawn, or laugh, or speak except in a hoarse whisper and am feeling rather deflated. I have been told to take 10 days off school, and to even then take it easy with activities and such.

I'm now officially booked off work for a full two weeks. Thanks for the advice. :-)

Surgery is 5 days away. I'm starting to get quite nervous!

It is true that the older you are, the worse it is. Being in your 20's is not bad, but certainly not as easy as it is as a kid. A kid basically they shave off tonsils. For adults, they are embedded so have to do a lot more.

MY EXPERIENCE:
Painful after surgery - a lot - but they kept me in recovery for awhile do to a low heartbeat. You are under general anesthia so you don't feel anything. Depending on the form the doctor does will influence the outcome of your healing. My doc choose radio waves, which is an easier healing process. My pain meds were hydrocodone (liquid vicadin with acetometiphan (Tylenol)). They burned going down but keep me relatively comfortable.

A few hours after was horrible, due mostly to a horrendous headache from the anesthia I believe. I am know grateful for the headache as it kept my mind off any throat pain. I was also hungry, which surprised me. They told me to drink liquids and that is the only way you can heal really well....drink, drink, drink.

I preferred lukewarm or room temperature beverages. When I drank something cold I think it made my nerves focus on that area which was more painful. I really did well with room temp. water, etc. It hurt to drink, but I reminded myself it was absolutely necessary.

I started to eat on Day 2. On Day 2 my throat hurt more, but it wasn't as bad due to no headache. I ate Alphabits - over cooked tiny pasta shapes. Ate it warm (not HOT) with butter so it went down nicely.

Other foods - applesauce, baby food (did fruits only), popsicle (only once), scrambled eggs (a lot), lipton noodle soup (cooled off), liquid nutritional drinks for vitamens - like Ensure. These things helped A LOT!

Each day gets better. Swelling goes down first, scabs starts to fall, and with that was a lot of ear pain (Day 5 or so). I used hot packs on my ears and ice packs on my throat or lower jaw. Yeah your jaw and mouth will hurt too. After most of the scabs fell off (don't want to think about where they go - lol), I didn't need the hot packs anymore on a regular basis.

Some days as I was feeling better I tried varied foods, spicy stuff still hurts and big bites still hurt.

Right now I am at Day 16 - I still take Tylenol or Aleve every 8 to 10 hours. I know if I am not drinking enough as my throat will hurt. Most of the ear pain subsided. I will return to work on Monday and nervous about that as I am a teacher. My game plan is to get through 3 days.

Most annoying thing now is yawning! Each yawn really hurts as it is stretching out the muscles, which appears to be a good thing??? It used to look like pits in the back of my throat and now it's is forming more of walls. The roof of my mouth is still uncomfortable. This pain is definitely manageable.

I also hold on to the fact that it will be nice to have winters without the chronic tonsillitis. My voice is still adjusting, still learning how to blow my nose, and constantly marveled at the weird little things that happen from just your tonsils being taken out.

Good luck to any future victims....and keep being patient if you are recovering now! ;-)

25 year old female in Canada, on day 9 of Recovery. Hang in there everyone, it gets better, and each day you get closer to 100%!

Here's some useful advice that helped ease some of my pain and some things that are not stressed in many others' posts':

Chew Gum: Advice my ENT really stressed; right away if you can; this was useful to me in the morning and the middle of the night (when you get up to take your meds); my ENT said this gets the muscles working and promotes saliva production and swallowing; it may hurt the first few chews and swallows, but do it as much and as long as you can for the benefits. I have not had severe ear pain, perhaps this has something to do with the gum chewing?

Boost (Nutritional meal replacement shakes): I bought a 6 pack of these and drank them all within in the first 4 days. They are convenient, cold and soothing straight from the fridge, good nutrition, and may have played a part in helping me go to the bathroom.

Don't be afraid to throw up if you have to: I was really afraid of bleeding after reading some horror stories from this post, I vomited 2 times on day 4 of my recovery (probably because of all the meds on a practically empty stomach), and besides some extra pain in my throat, I did not bleed because of it. Really, I was extremely worried for nothing; I ended up going back to the hospital to get an IV with some fluid, some anti-nausea, and some pain medication. It seemed dramatic at the time, but I don't regret it because I may have thrown up more and become more dehydrated if I didn't. This was the worse bump in the road for me, but in hindsight, not too horrible.

Cough very gently, only if you must: again because of the bleeding issue, I was afraid to cough. My nurse said it was okay, but I didn't want to cough too hard, besides one cough for me usually leads to another or several more coughs. I think I have coughed gently about 6 times these past 9 days, everytime I felt like it, I had a sip of cold water.

Thank God You Are Alive: When I woke up I was so grateful to be alive, I admit, I had fears of dying, which seem a little silly now, but I had an appendectomy in 2005 and I remember the painful recovery and scary surgery part. When in your darkest hours pray to your higher power and give thanks for life and the health you will shortly get back! javascript:emoticon(':)')

I have also read how some people spit alot and spit out their scabs, I did not do this because my ENT encouraged me to swallow even though it hurts, I just drank alot of water.

Good luck to anyone who goes through this difficult recovery, and God bless!

25 year old female in Canada, on day 9 of recovery from my tonsillectomy. Hang in there everyone, it gets better, and each day you get closer to 100%!

Good luck to anyone who goes through this difficult recovery, and God bless! javascript:emoticon(':D')

I am 26 female and on Day 4. I have heard it all, from loosing taste and shooting ear pain to having no problems AT ALL. There is only one thing you can be sure of; That is no one is the same. I fortunately have had only throat soreness. And what I thought was my tongue swelling was actually my tongue not being held down by my tonsills. So yes it is a little difficult to swallow and talk or should I say whisper. I had enlarged tonsills so they were really big and could hold down the back of my tongue. I cannot breath out of my mouth unless I think about pulling my tongue down. I have never had to do that. That is one problem that was never told to me. Also there is just a little bit of jaw discomfort probably due to my my mouth being open. My lips are closed but since my tongue doesnt know exactly what to do with itself yet, it just wants to be lazy and fat, it holds my jaw open.

I cant stress enough on how much water you should drink. You should be urinating more often AND it should be as clear as possible. Some people tollerate cold some warm and others hot. Try it and see. I am better with the cold.

Meds:
If you are taking ANY KIND of antibiotic, be sure to drink plenty of water afterward. Antibiotics can cause yeast infections so be sure to to take a few swallows of water.
If you get nausious from the pain meds, be sure to eat something a little more filling than a bowl of broth. You need something like bread or pasta. You can even put crackers in your soup and BE SURE THEY'RE SOGGY to the point they fall apart.
I have a high pain threshold so I maybe take 15cc/2.5tsp total in a day just to take the edge off.

Coughing:
Yes you DO NOT want to cough hard. I know it sounds next to impossible but if you must, do it with your mouth closed so you arent stretching your throat to open and then forcing a stitch to bust from the force.

As for the foods:
I was eating the 1st day. My surgery was at 7am and I was eating at 5pm dinner. It was baby food but I still got it down. I ate spaghetti and meatballs the next nite and then Lasagna the next. Tonite is pizza nite. I of course need about an hour to eat it but I do. Be careful with dairy though. You can have it but make sure your drink the water. You do not want it to stay back there and ferment. NASTY!!!

GET AS MUCH REST AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!!
Try not to get stressed out over things you cant do. Stress actually slows the healing process.
I have a 14 month old so I know stress. I am not even allowed to pick up the toddler due to hemoriging. Also when you eat and start to have bowl movements, do not push because you can also start to hemorige in your mouth.

Ways to deal:
MY doctor also said to chew gum but sugarless or minty. I am guessing this is for the ear problems and saliva glands. MINT HELPS WITH NAUSEA and just tastes better. It also helps my sore throat with the whole mintiness. A bit cold but oh yeah that feels good.

Bottom Line:
Everyone is different and try everything once. Dont dive right in just start slow. Listen to what your body is telling you. Good luck,

T

I am a 32 year old female and on day 11. There are a few crucial things to know to do before and after your surgery. 1) Eat and drink healthy food and beverages weeks before suregery(bulk up a little!). 2) Don't talk to much or at all the first couple of days. 3) Take your pain medication before it your pain starts again. 4) Put ice packs around your neck after surgery( it helps a lot!). 5) Don't drink or eat hot or spicy foods! 6) Suck on ice chips if you can't drink enough water. 6) Sleep with your head up at least at a 30 degree angle( prevents a lot of sinus drip into the back of throat. 7) Stock up on non-acidic popsickles and frozen fruit bars. 8) Try your best to sleep, but set an alarm to wake up to take pain meds, so you don't wake up from the pain instead. Ok, I highly recommend eating and drinking a lot of healthy food and beverages consistently for at least 2 weeks before surgery. You are most likely going to have quite a bit of pain where your tonsils used to be, and therefore you will be very limited in your food intake. I am very thin to begin with and never have had a big appetite, but since the surgery have been longing to be able to eat again. So, about procedure; it was definitely the easiest part of this whole ordeal. When I woke up from the anesthesia I felt fine. About 30 minutes later the intense pain hit me and the nurse administered morphine through my IV. That helped a lot, but wore off quickly. I didn't have any nausea from the anesthesia and left the hospital aout an hour after I woke up from surgery. We picked up my Hydrocodone elixir and Amoxicillin on the way home, and I iced my neck with an ice pack right away. The first night was very difficult; so much pain. I literally had to take the pain medication every hour. I drank as much water as I could as soon as the meds kicked in, because I didn't want to get dehydrated and the pain comes back fast! If you get a nausceous from the pain meds, I recommend you ask your doctor to prescribe Phenergan. It is a suppository that you, unfortunately, insert through your rectum, but is a miracle for stopping nausea. I was able to drink cold chicken broth the first two days and very soft scrambled eggs. Remember not to drink anything hot! About a week iafter the surgery it still hurt a lot, but was able to eat thinly sliced deli turkey, avocado, frozen fruit bars and lots of scrambled eggs with melted cheese. All of which I ate at room temperature. I have had a pretty hard time sleepig at night because of the pain, but have been out doing things all day during the day...thanks to the hydroodone elixir. It is the very best medicine for throat pain, because it coats your throat as it goes down. So, I'm on my 11th day now and the pain has changed from hurting every time I swallow to a constant aching on the left side only. So, to sum it up;everyones pain threshold is different, but expect to be incapacitated for at least a couple weeks and do everything you can to make yourself comfortable. Good luck!

Hi there. I am an 18 year old female, scheduled for a tonsillectomy at 6:00am, tomorrow morning.
After reading through all of these posts, i've been both relieved and terrified.
I was just wondering, though, on AVERAGE, how long is recovery time?
My doctor and other friends that have gone through the surgery have given me the impression that after the first weekend of awful pain, i should be relatively up and running the next week. I'm scheduled for work next thursday (approx 6 days after surgery). Do you think I should take off work?
I know that the pain/recovery time goes on an individual basis, but I'd just like a little advice :-)
Thank you!