Hi there! Thanks for posting on the first week of recovery. You're right, we do have a lot of those posts but not much on the second week. I look forward to seeing what you write on your second week of recovery. Best wishes! :-)

Hi everyone...I'm a 25 yr old male and am scheduled to have my tonsils taken out in a week. Reading through everyone's experiences I would say it's obvious there will be a good amount of pain/discomfort. However I've run across something that worries me more than anything else. I've read that once the surgery is done, that some ppl's voice's end up at a higher pitch. Has this happened to anyone else and if so did it go back to normal eventually or is this something that I could potentially be stuck with for life? Thanks!

I'm 18 and had my tonsils out 6 days ago.
My experience has been really bad.
A couple of hours after my operation I threw up three bowls of blood. I was then told to stay overnight.
After being discharged, I was given a pack of soluble Paracetemol tablets, Ibuprofen, Codeine and a mouthwash for pain relief.

The fourth day I went to see the GP crying in pain, she had no idea what to say or do and booked me in with an ENT specialist at the hospital that afternoon. I had symptoms of an infection and was then prescribed Amoxicillin, but nothing at all for the pain.
I've noticed the Amoxicillin really has helped as I don't have a temperature or bad breath as I did before.

The pain is still terrible on day 6, I can't say I feel even a fraction better than I did on the first day!
I haven't been given any alternative medicines to calm down the pain.
I really struggle with eating and drinking and feel like I want to throw up all the time.
The ibuprofen really irritates my stomach, so i've discontinued using that and haven't even been suggested an alternative.
I can't sleep over 4 hours, I wake up several times in the night coughing and choking - as you can imagine, this hurts like a b***h!

Im so upset that the doctors haven't done anything. I feel like I'm being messed about. I haven't even been given any advice on aftercare post tonsillectomy!
all i've been told is to take my medicines, which I have been doing :-(

My tonsillitis was really bad before my op having it every single month without fail, I'm really hoping it'll be worth it.
because the pain at the moment really is unbearable and would appreciate if any of you have alternative suggestions for painkillers or anything that'll soothe the throat and not damage my stomach.

If any of you are considering having it taken out when it's not really that frequent, then please think about whether you want to put yourself through this, because it's only worth it if it's a severe case and really necessary. Weigh out the positive and negatives :-)
x

My experience has been really bad.

I can't sleep over 4 hours, I wake up several times in the night coughing and choking - as you can imagine, this hurts like a b**ch!

x

I am 20 and on day 7 after the surgery and still in a lot of pain and have barely left the couch. I was told to take my pain med (Roxicet) every 4 hours, but to help with the pain I decided to take it every 2 hours but only take half each time, so that i wasnt taking more then i was supposed to. That seemed to help me because the pain never got too bad. I also take Amoxicillen (sp?) 3 times a day. I keep ice on my neck 24/7, without it the pain is too much. I sleep on a recliner couch but still cant sleep reclined all the way. Cough drops and Chloraseptic throat spray have also helped a little bit.

The first 3 days werent to bad at all... I slept about 22 out of 24 hours, only waking up to take my pain meds. I didnt eat anything but ice water, popsicles, sherbet and also soaked some graham crackers in milk so they were extremely mushy, and ate a few of them. They didnt feel to bad if u only ate one every couple hours, but i tried eating 2, and at the end of the 2nd one, my throat started hurting. So id recommend eating only one ;-) Its nice to at least have the taste of somewhat solid food in your mouth, even tho it really isnt solid anymore :-)

Days 4-7 have been extremely painful. I have barely been able to eat even popsicles and sherbet, and water tends to like to come out my nose ... so that is even hard to drink at times. I have been bleeding a little bit, but nothing to bad. I still sleep a lot, but it hurts way to much when i wake up if i sleep more then an hour at a time. As most know, nights/early mornings are the worst, even if i stay awake it is so painful at that time.

I just can wait for this to heal so I can eat solid foods, or foods in general. It seems so varied on how long it takes, guess ill just have to wait it out! Good luck to all who had it... And who ever thought it wasnt to bad... you are so lucky!

I'm 15 male and i had my tonsils takin out about 4 days ago. The first day was the best so far all i did was sleep and take my pain medication. The doctor gave me liquid lortab which my sister's boyfriend told me tasted like starbursts...he lied it tasted horrible i only took it the first day. Mainly because the pain was to horrible to swallow anything til day 3. After that all i did was moan and groan for hours. Day 2 all i did was watch tv and tried to sleep, the sleep didn't work because everytime i went to sleep i would wake up 30 minutes later with my throat hurting and gaging from the mucus/mucus feeling in the back of my throat. Day 3 went a lot better than day 2 i actuially got 3 16oz cups of water down and a lil bowl of mashed potatoes. Today on day 4 i woke up and ate a popsicle, after than i drank 2 bottles of gatorade, then ate a pretty good sized bowl of mashed potatoes, then 2 eggs, and then drank another 4 bottles of gatorade. Everywhere i look on these postes everyone says ice cream and sherbert is good for you LIES!!! Dairy products are a bad idea til your throat heals because it layers your throat and makes it take longer for your throat to heal. also everyone says they are worried about the surgery it is a walk in the park, all you do is show up the make you get naked, put on the hospital robe, gives you a pair of socks, makes you lay down, they numb your hand, stick an IV in and you will feel a sharp pain for liek 3 seconds then your out like a light, i woke up once and there were 2 nurses doing something i said something can't remember what i said then i was out like a light again. When i woke up for the last time my family was standing at the foot of the bed with balloons, the doctor asked if i wanted some water and/or a popsicle, then i was on my way home it was actually pretty ok for the first 36 hours then pain kicked in horribly... but the most important thing to do is stay hydrated, nothing is worse than get dehydrated and having to go back to the hospital. So enjoy laying around doing nothing for a while :-D

I had my tonsillectomy on Monday 8th in the UK.

Day 1: Fine, oramorph made me feel nauseous so couldn't eat without feeling sick, slept a lot
Day 2: No real pain as such, i managed to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner without any problems, left, managed to eat chicken pie and bits and bobs but it was a tad sore and i still felt a bit sick, very swollen and struggled to sleep in certain angles.
Day 3: I managed to eat porridge and some chicken pasta fine, no real pain, tea time i did get a pain eating some salmon and spinach and such, was a bit uncomfortable, swollen and struggled to breath at certain angles when asleep.
Day 4: Pain started to kick in more, didn't manage to eat very much at all, just drunk a lot, slept fine but woke at odd points.
Day 5: Pain on waking up, very sharp pain, managed to eat breakfast but struggled eating other elements, certain times of day are better than others but when the pain is there it is unavoidable and no drugs seem to shift it.
Day 6: Lots of pain, uncomfortable pretty much consistently all day, despite taking the drugs, the pain transfers up through ears, tongue and teeth. Lots of food irritate, once it's irrtated i can't eat at all.
Day 7 (today): Still a lot of pain, didn't sleep too well been sleeping on the sofa the last few days, manage to eat by clenching my fist and forcing it down through the pain, swallowing hurts a lot it swaps different sides of my mouth. The white on the back of my throat has reduced a bit and the swelling seems to have gone down but it's still so painful - can't talk as it hurts too much really so i communicate as little as possible and have been taking more than the pescribed amount of the drugs. Praying tomorrow is better, will be day 8, was suppose to start work but there's no way due to lack of sleep and pain i can concentrate on working

Hey everyone. I'm a 23 y/o female. I had my tonsils out on 3/4, so I am 11 days post-op. I am back at work today feeling 90% better! Still a slight sore throat on the right side, but nothing crippling. I am a fast healer, but I just wanted to share my positive experience for people around my age who are thinking about the surgery.

I read a ton of “horror stories" before my operation, so I was really scared of what the pain would be like afterwards. Well. It was painful, but NOT unbearable. As a quick point of comparison, I broke my collarbone last winter and the pain of Week 1 recovery from that was WAY worse.

I got my tonsils removed b/c I have had GIANT tonsils and lots of sore throats (not strep, but sore throats) since I was a little kid. The Drs told my mom I would grow out of it, but I didn’t. For example, my surgery was on Mar 4, and I had had a sore throat since early January. Whenever I got remotely stressed, overtired, or the seasons changed, I’d get a sore throat that I had to nurse. Staying home w/ a sore throat does NOT fit my lifestyle. I hated my tonsils and I wanted them out. I am really glad I got them out. I can already breathe better & my throat feels better 11 Days Post-op than it did before I went in.

I went into the hospital in the a.m.& met with the surgeon, the anesthesiologist, and their respective residents. I was scared of being rolled into the OR & seeing all the tools & lights & stuff, so I was really pleased when the anesthesiologist gave me a sedative through my IV & a warm blanket before taking me to the OR. By the time they wheeled me into the OR & put me under I was feeling GREAT. If you’re nervous about being in an OR like me, ask for something to help! If you’re anxious you’re just going to raise your blood pressure before surgery—not good.

Waking up after the surgery was the worst part of the whole recovery for me. I was scared, a little out of it, and in a lot of pain. I woke up whimpering/crying into my O2 mask. The nurse responded to my pathetic little noises and came by & asked me my pain level (8!) and gave me some kind of heavy IV painkiller, and I fell back asleep, only to wake up when the IV painkillers wore off & cry again, and she'd come shoot me up again. This went on for about 3 cycles. Finally I was in a state where I could take some liquid painkllers (PKs)--this was good, the nurse explained, b/c the oral PKs stay in your system longer than the IV ones. After I took the liquid PK (lortab/liquid hydrocodone), I started to feel a lot better & drank some ice water. I was out of surgery by 1:00 and went home around 5:00.

They gave me Lortab to take home & this was the PK I used for the pain throughout Week 1 of my recovery—i.e. when I needed it. It tastes terrible & made me loopy, but it helped a lot. I was very nervous about nausea in reaction to the anesthesia and the PKs on an empty stomach. (Apparently female non-smokers in their early 20s have the highest risk of a nauseous reaction to anesthesia.) Happily I wasn’t ever nauseous throughout my whole recovery. After my 7-day post-op check-up, I switched to extra strength Tylenol.

Week 1 was the worst part. After that I & was up & walking the dog again & talking pretty normally. Here are a few highlights of/tips from my experience, Week 1:
--THE FIRST FEW DAYS: Starting right after surgery I drank as much water as I could. It hurt to swallow but it is so important to stay hydrated! The sore throat feeling for me was painful, but not THAT painful. The weirdest part for me was the swollen tongue—weird.
--ICE: I had ice on my throat whenever I could (even fell asleep with an icepack across my throat most nights). I think this helped a lot with the swelling, not to mention the numbing effect.
--PAINKILLERS: I took my Lortab PKs at 20mls every 4 hours. At night I slept 8 hours but got up in the middle of the night with an alarm to take meds. Don’t forget to do this! Remember, it is easier for PKs to prevent pain than to stop it once it starts. I also kept a log of the drugs I was taking & when (I had an antibiotic as well). On Lortab, at 3:00p.m. I honestly couldn't've told you if I took a dose at 11a.m. or at 2:00p.m. or if I'd taken the antibiotics at all that day. So, to prevent an OD or skipped antibiotics, I made sure I wrote down what I was taking and when.
--THE “DAY 4 WALL”: I kept waiting for the “new level of pain” that is supposed to arrive around Day 4-6—the searing pain, the ear pain. Well… it never came. My pain stayed at a steady level throughout the week, tapering off towards the end.
--SLEEPING: I had read that you shouldn’t sleep b/c your throat dries out. Well, I had to sleep b/c the Lortab knocked me out! My throat was OK while I was sleeping, perhaps because I have a humidifier that I keep right next to my bed. Also, I slept propped up on some pillows. I also cat-napped on the couch very, very often.
--EATING: I didn’t eat really at all during the 1st few days, but honestly, I wasn’t hungry (I think it was the drugs). All I “ate” during the 1st 4-5 days was some chicken broth and one instant breakfast. Instants probably would’ve been good to keep drinking for strength but they are so GROSS I could only get through one packet. Later in the week I added overcooked Ramen and Cup-A-Soup noodles & oatmeal to my diet. I am still eating soft foods on Day 11, as I was told to follow a soft-foods diet for 2 whole weeks and I am doing what I am told!
--I MISS VEGETABLES. Veggies are hard to get during this time. I thought maybe V8, but anything acidic is not your friend right now (I had an unfortunate encounter with some cranberry juice...). I will attempt some sautéed spinach tonight, but again this is Day 11.
--SCABS?: I had also read that it hurts when the scabs fall off. My scabs didn’t fall off so much as they just gradually went away. I think staying hydrated is key for this.
--FEVER: I ran a low-grade fever for a few days, but the Dr. said this was normal & nothing to worry about unless it goes above 101.
--ASK FOR HELP: I had people come over to take my dog for runs, my mom came up to help, and I basically didn’t need to exert myself for a whole week and could sleep whenever I wanted, which I think really helped me recover quickly.
--BLEEDING: If you start to bleed and can’t stop the bleed with ice water, you need to have someone who can take you to the hospital at any hour! This is scary but important! If you live alone make sure you have someone who is keeping his or her cell phone ON and next to his or her bed at night for you. I had my boyfriend on call before my mom got here & was in the same residence. Happily I never saw any blood throughout my experience so I didn’t have to use them.

So I am lucky—a fast recovery with no complications. My friends had a good time laughing at me all drugged up on the couch, and I “watched” a lot of TV on DVDs (I say that b/c on Lortab I could've been watching the NASA channel & been really happy). I just wanted to put something positive out into the world of forums b/c I was super scared before my surgery. Good luck to everyone, and take care of yourselves!

Im writing from the UK and I am now in day 8 recovery. I am 41 year old male.

I was quite worried from reading on internet blog sites that this procedure was going to be a nightmare, and whilst it has not been a cake walk, it is highly managable if you go into this with right mentality and follow some good advice. People seem to forget why they elect to go through this....its because they are fed up going down with tonsilitus/ strep throat and feeling c**p....I always seemed to go down with it around Xmas and whenever I took a holiday...so revenge on those tonsils was well overdue! It was time to make a positive intervention. Never forget this aspect during your recovery period.

My operation went as planned and my surgeon actually stated that when he squeezed my removed tonsils thay they oozed with puss (sorry, but its true) - this validated that surgery was necessary. I didnt even have a sore throat before the op, so I must have always lived with 2 bags of septic puss waiting to bring me down at the drop of a hat. Well they are history now!

In the UK it is normal practice for you to eat something solid before you can be discharged from hospital - I ate some toast (very well chewed!) and drank water, water, water. I have 3 meds to take which manage the pain and also fight any infection. I take these on time - to the minute. I ate water melon and iced drinks for the first few days and made myself have at least 1 slice of toast - I think the swallowing of bread and slightly solid foods does help avoid large scabs later on in the recovery period.

Sleep - sleep was difficult during week 1 - I do however think it helps if you try and sleep in an upright position (several pillows and cushions) as again, I think this helps with being able to sleep (just dont expect 8 hours deep sleep) and also help avoid those scabs that other talk about - which quite often cause pain & distress around day 5.

Overall, I have had mild to moderate pain (no worse than a typical bout of tonsilitus - but without the fever!) - yes, there have been a few bad hours (especially early in the morning - probably because the meds have worn off) - but if you can find a quiet dark room and tough it out, then I think most people can do this. I have read that others have infections or tongue blisters or bleeding - I guess these people are unlucky or didnt focus on getting better in the right way.

If you are fed up with tonsilitus robbing your life then make a positive intervention - but accept that you will lose 2 weeks of your life - but for me, a 2 week shut down period was kinda welcome and allowed me to do something I never get to usually do.....rest!

So my summary advice -
Drink as much water as possible - it will minimise the scabbing and you need to stay hydrated if you are not eating normally
Take you meds on time, every time (get antibiotics included to ensure they fight any post op infection)
Sleep / doze upright - I think this helps minimise scabbing - you may choose to take some meds during the night, I did, and improved the quality of my mornings...
Eat solids - the sooner you can eat then the sooner your energy levels will improve, and this will accelerate the recovery
Stay positive - never forget the many times you have lay in bed with tonsilitus - see your operation recovery period as the final round of a life long fight....and although you may get jaded during recovery....this is a fight you are going to win.

Best of luck to all of you going through this
Andrew
UK

Hi all!

Im 24 female, had my tonsils out on Wednesday morning, had two nights in hospital, but as soon as i was home started to feel a whole lot worse. today(day 4) is even worse and after reading some of the posts am dreading the pain to come!
I have been, trying, to eat as normal as possible, it is difficult though, but was told it helps you to recovery faster.
Im sticking to ice cold water!
As the day goes on the pain gets worse and find the pain killers do not work as well as i would like them to.
I have mouth uclers and coldsores now too!
Overall i feel miserable but cant wait to get back to normal whenever that is!

soo im 18. I had my tonsils out 7 days ago, and it still hurts.
last night was the worst pain so far, because i tend to sleep with my mouth open, and my mouth got soo dry and it killed. but anywho,

i dont understand you people that are saying its not that bad, because this has been the worst week of my life.
surgery was a horrible experience (my first), my throat hurts like hell everyday, i can barely get down water, and all im living on is popsicles and jello, and it still hurts to eat that. It sucks not being able to talk, I sleep all the time, my medicine is the nastiest thing
ever, im hungry, and ive lost 8 pounds. Its just a really depressing thing. Im not trying to be a Debbie downer, but it SUCKS.

i wonder if it makes a difference that my tonsils were massiveeee. because the doctors were all like, woah, those are some of the biggest ones we've ever seen.

im just hoping i can start getting water down, because i look sick, and i want to eat sometime this year..
ugh,,
thats all.

Today it will be one week, on day 7 and I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I could finally sleep (6 hours, not so bad, considering I was sleeping for 1-1.5 hours only).

Yea my healing process started terribly and I needed to get inyected to help with the inflamation cuz I was literally dying but I have learned some stuff on this site and on my own and I would like to share with you.

1) OMG PHLAGME .- Milk and dairiys including icecream produce a bit of a mucus. I would recommend taking the ice cream to help with the inflamation but the firsts days I would stick to ice water or apple baby drink.

2) KEEP HYDRATED .- COLD Water is so important, you need to be hydrated and I know this is kinda hard since you are in pain even to swallow but you have to try to keep drinking a bit and bit of cold water. If your throat gets dry you will be in more pain you were before.

3) SLEEP .- I happened to not being able to sleep because I was not only afraid because I spit blood after the cirgury, but because I felt like and infection on my throat, my uvula was so swollen like a big ping pong ball and it hurt so bad I had to wake up. My recommendation here is to sleep with inclination (45 degrees or something), and to sleep without air conditioner, without windows open, do not make the same mistake I did, you throat gets sored and you will wake up with much more pain you can imagine, you need humidity to be able to sleep, if possible get a humidizer (i dont need it since my country has a lot of humidity on its own).

4) YOUR MEDICINES .- Know what you are taking and take your pain killers in advance, I mean if you next pilll is in 6 hours.. It should be ready 1 hour prior and if you feel like it you should take it a little bit before, save you that pain.

5) YOUR HEALING .- We all know we heal from what we eat, you need the protein and vitamins (specially c) to help rebuild and combat infections. These only last for 3 hours in our organism so you need to keep constantly eating this. The problem is that in this situation you can hardy eat anything besides baby food. This is why you have to take a suplement (I take ensure in my case). With Ensure my recovery took a new speed, yea it gives a little bit of mucus of phlegm after you take it, because it has a bit of protein but, believe me you want to take your 3-4 cold glasses a day and save infection pain and help rebuild faster. You can clear your throat if you feel phlegm with water and the apple drinks easily. Dont mess with this.. if you are not taking your nutrients your healing with take longer and longer, you cannot live out of popsicles.

6) HELP DIMISHING THE INFLAMATION .- Start taking ice cream when you think you are able and put ice packets on your neck the most you can. You want to sleep, help with the inflamation.

7) SALT GARGLES can help, dont abuse but it will help in case there is a virus you cannot combat with antibiotics.

8) SCABS will fall when they have to fall, they fall on their own when you start to eat, just keep hydrated so you dont have pain for this.

These are my recomendations, I have played a lot of gamecube and watched TV to keep distrated. I had to take 3 inyections because my neck hurt so bad and I was not able to sleep, i had my uvula so swollen, but afterr doing what I said im much better. 1 week after im so much better. Pain went from 100% to 10%

I won't go into my whole tonsillectomy experience because so many others before me have done a great job of describing it. I will say that I am 32 years old and I am on my post-op day 13.

I am here to offer one piece of advice to anyone who is scheduled to have a tonsillectomy -- purchase an electric ice shaver.

I just happened to buy one as a snowcone maker for my kids just a couple of weeks before my surgery. Little did I know how much use I would get out of it. Following my surgery when even water was hard to swallow, the shaved ice went down gently and smoothly, numbing my throat beautifully. Shaved ice has a much softer consistency than crushed ice, so in my opinion, it is much better than the ice dispensed by your fridge. My ice shaver cost $16 so it was well worth the investment.

Even almost two weeks after my tonsillectomy, I am consuming several cups of shaved ice per day. Sometimes I have it plain, and sometimes I add a little snowcone syrup for flavor. Flavoring is unimportant, though -- you'll only care about how blissfully soothing the ice feels on your throat.

Good luck!

Ok so I am on Day 3 post-op. I am 29 and female and relatively healthy and had a tonsillectomy as was getting tonsilitis between 3-8 times a year for last 10 years.

The 2 days before my surgery I made the mistake of googling stories of tonsillectomy recovery and totally freaking myself out with the horrible stories. My experience thus far, whilst has not been comfortable at all, has not been as terrible as stories I have read.

The surgery went fine and the dr said I only lost 5ml of blood. I woke up in recovery and had morphine pumped through me and I wasn't feeling too bad except it hurt when I swallowed. My surgeon had advised me right from my first consultation "Make sure you just try and eat as normal". My nurse was also trying to encourage me to eat, and brought me in a sandwich (4 hours following surgery). I was able to eat it, it was not totally comfortable, but wasn't impossible either. I think if it is possible for you, you should definitely try and eat as normal from the First Day. This stimulates the throat, and muscles etc and will aid recovery and help to prevent scabbing.
Also keep fluids up.

On Day 2 of recovery I wasnt feeling too bad at all, today Day 3 I have felt slightly worse. My tongue and uvula are both very swollen, my glands around my neck are swollen and I look like c**p! I'm not in heaps of pain though, still the pain is just there when I swallow. I was expecting it to be worse than this, but mainly because I was expecting the worst? The boredom is killing me the most. Also I am having difficulties talking.

I'm a 28 year old male who had a tonsillectomy a few weeks ago. I received a tonsillectomy after having incision and drainage of my throat four times in a month for a recurrent peritonsillar abscess. At its worse, having a peritonsillar abscess was more painful than anything experienced during surgical recovery. My tonsils were so mangled by the end that I wonder if some of the nerves weren't already dead.

For the surgery, I was off of work for 8 days and this was sufficient. Recovery was not nearly as difficult as I expected. I was prescribed roxicet for the pain and it was highly effective although I could not take it for a full day after surgery due to vomiting after. By taking some care with what I ate, avoided going hungry or losing any weight. Within hours of surgery, I was able to eat a whole box of stovetop macaroni and cheese with a couple of hot dogs cut up into it. This became my staple food for several days. At first, it helped to drink the bulk of my water during meals by chasing each bite with a sip of water, and I had ice cream for dessert, of course. Soon, I added ice cream floats and bottles of root beer, which went down surprisingly smooth despite carbonation. I had stocked up on ensure, but was told by my surgeon not to drink them due to Vitamin E content. Within a week of surgery, I was back on a normal diet aside from avoiding ridiculously abrasive foods like nachos or hard shelled tacos.

Overall, the week I spent in recovery was not bad at all. I watched many movies and beat my top scores on some old video games. The surgery was almost worth just having an excuse to be away from work. I'm sorry for all those who didn't fare as well and hope your expereinces are more similar to mine.